Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

glnz

POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

Recommended Posts

glnz    20

Six installed and all seems OK.

What will I DO for the next 28 days?  (Well, there'll be another SpywareBlaster update.)

Thanks, SD73 and dclem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pcalvert    3

This is the reg tweak that I used:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded\ProductVersion]
"FeaturePackVersion"="SP3"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WEPOS]
"Installed"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WES]
"Installed"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
"Installed"=dword:00000001

 

Even though I got that from this forum, I now suspect that this is not the best/correct reg tweak to use. I believe that I need to delete that first registry key. Correct? And are there any others I should also delete?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
roytam1    18
6 minutes ago, pcalvert said:

This is the reg tweak that I used:


Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded\ProductVersion]
"FeaturePackVersion"="SP3"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WEPOS]
"Installed"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WES]
"Installed"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
"Installed"=dword:00000001

 

Even though I got that from this forum, I now suspect that this is not the best/correct reg tweak to use. I believe that I need to delete that first registry key. Correct? And are there any others I should also delete?

 

 

 

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WEPOS]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WES]

These 2 paths should be deleted from registry in order to get WU thinking this is really POSReady machine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bersaglio    46
7 hours ago, glnz said:

What will I DO for the next 28 days?

There are 2 more critical updates for Office 2003. :yes:

Direct links for this month' updates: XP Embedded/POSReady (English only, second update is questionable/not recommended)

http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/secu/2017/08/windowsxp-kb4039384-x86-embedded-enu_6aabfe977264b12c8331500d97053134de7d0738.exe
http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/updt/2017/08/windowsxp-kb4039111-x86-embedded-enu_9b517bb7a6b7459d5c4c7159e4b8f247cf094feb.exe
	

IE8 cumulative critical update for XP Embedded/POSReady (English only)

http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/secu/2017/08/ie8-windowsxp-kb4036586-x86-embedded-enu_b1812cf959e28d711f912fdda380409b3dd0f281.exe

Office 2003 with SP3 critical updates

http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/E/D/1ED4997F-8B14-4450-94D3-5A1820F4D9CE/office2003-KB4011134-FullFile-ENU.exe
http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/F/7/2F718159-E093-4B3B-9437-85EC1B1F9EBE/office2003-KB4011125-FullFile-ENU.exe

Office 2007 compatibility pack with SP3

http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/8/8/7881882B-1B97-4E80-8BDD-D4A0D28194AD/ogl2007-kb3213641-fullfile-x86-glb.exe
http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/C/A/ACA8CC30-0035-4868-AD75-F1F4094F70C8/pptconv2007-kb3213644-fullfile-x86-glb.exe
http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/6/E/26ECBB8A-394E-469C-A789-4BBC687B5CAB/xlconv2007-kb4011064-fullfile-x86-glb.exe
http://download.microsoft.com/download/D/1/3/D1375E34-C740-4432-903E-FD643668CB82/mso2007-kb4011063-fullfile-x86-glb.exe

Office 2007 Suites with SP3 (full install of Office 2007 suites)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/4/C/04CC99E1-FE85-4726-A2CD-809CFC47EA67/usp102007-kb3213649-fullfile-x86-glb.exe
http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/8/2/68257ED5-34D0-4243-94EA-E203489DC7C2/convloc2007-kb3213646-fullfile-x86-glb.exe
http://download.microsoft.com/download/D/5/C/D5C675A7-B608-4391-B2F7-8D932105ACD8/publisher2007-kb3114428-fullfile-x86-glb.exe
http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/A/4/EA48607B-A529-4144-BAA7-12135C2D396A/powerpoint2007-kb3213642-fullfile-x86-glb.exe
http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/C/6/2C64750F-5F61-45B4-903A-E9FDE8714350/outlookloc2007-kb4011086-fullfile-x86-glb.exe
http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/8/8/7881882B-1B97-4E80-8BDD-D4A0D28194AD/ogl2007-kb3213641-fullfile-x86-glb.exe
http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/6/E/26ECBB8A-394E-469C-A789-4BBC687B5CAB/xlconv2007-kb4011064-fullfile-x86-glb.exe
http://download.microsoft.com/download/D/1/3/D1375E34-C740-4432-903E-FD643668CB82/mso2007-kb4011063-fullfile-x86-glb.exe
http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/9/6/5967FC5C-705F-4994-AF8A-0DBC3196ECF5/excel2007-kb4011062-fullfile-x86-glb.exe
Edited by Bersaglio
Typo/nfo fix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dave-H    88

The six offered updates installed fine for me.
It took ages to scan again due to the presence of the Office updates.
Are these likely to be the last ones, or will there be some more next month I wonder?
I read somewhere (here probably!) that support for the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack ends next month, which would make sense as it's presumably 10 years after it was launched.

I've also installed the optional update KB4039111.
Anyone know what this actually is?
Its page on the MS site, which is linked to from many other sites, is just "page not found"!
:dubbio:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pcalvert    3
11 hours ago, roytam1 said:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WEPOS]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WES]

These 2 paths should be deleted from registry in order to get WU thinking this is really POSReady machine.

 

And what about this one?:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded\ProductVersion] "FeaturePackVersion"="SP3"

Delete or keep?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dencorso    531
41 minutes ago, pcalvert said:

 

And what about this one?:


[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded\ProductVersion] "FeaturePackVersion"="SP3"

Delete or keep?

 

That one you must delete. The other two (WEPOS and WES, if set to 0000, may as well be left in place).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
heinoganda    118

@Dave-H

KB4039111 (kernel32.dll, ntdll.dll, ole32.dll, rpcss.dll, sprv0407.dll, wordpad.exe, xpsp2res.dll)  is an update related to security updates KB4026061 (sprv0407.dll, wordpad.exe) and KB4018556-v2 (kernel32.dll, ntdll.dll, ole32.dll, oleaut32.dll, rpcss.dll, xpsp2res.dll).
Unfortunately, MS in KB4039111 has an older version (5.1.2600.7239) attached to the file "xpsp2res.dll" against KB4018556-v2 (5.1.2600.7248), which can not be updated in Windows XP "xpsp2res.dll". Hopefully, this bug will be fixed by a subsequent update.
This could cause problems with the English language version of Windows XP Professional (ENU), as well as with all language versions of Windows XP Home. In a test in the VMware with the English-language version of Windows XP Professional, I have not found any problems (The file "xpsp2res.dll" was installed with version 5.1.2600.7248)!

:)

 

 

Edited by heinoganda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dencorso    531
2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

The six offered updates installed fine for me.
It took ages to scan again due to the presence of the Office updates.

Thanks to @glnz, I knew which Office 2007 compatibility pack with SP3 updates to search (now @Bersaglio has kindly provided direct links to them), so I downloaded them and installed those four by hand. Afterwards my main machine took 47 minutes (main XP) or 35 minutes (secondary XP)  to find the other updates. Since there´s no need to reboot between them, the Office 2007 compatibility pack with SP3 updates are best downloaded and updated by hand... provided we know which KBs they are. We already know it's them that cause the long delays.

@Bersaglio: Why KB4039111is questionable/not recommended? :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
heinoganda    118
47 minutes ago, dencorso said:

Afterwards my main machine took 47 minutes (main XP) or 35 minutes (secondary XP)  to find the other updates.

Wow, tested for me on my virtual machine (1 core core 2 duo 2.4 GHz and 512 MB memory) after I installed the latest cumulative update of IE8 manuel, as well as updates for Office 2007 compatibility pack. With the following search and install I have completely 5 minutes needed! :blink:

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
glnz    20

Catching up to bersaglio's excellent set of links --

1)  Should I install KB4039111 on my XP Pro SP3?  It didn't self-install.  But why does bersgalio criticize it?  Does it smell bad or something?

2)  Since I have Office 2003 on my XP machine (with the 2007 compatibility pack), should I manually install KB4011134 and KB4011125?

3)  In my wife's mini-office running Win 7 Pro 64-bit, we are also using Office 2003 (with the 2007 compatibility pack).  Are there similar KBs for that combination of stuff?   (I am Mr. El Cheapo so we wouldn't spend more money on more recent Office, and it just works.)

Grazie - danke - merci.
_________________________

Edit - hold on hold on !!!!

According to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20170912/security-update-deployment-information-september-12-2017 and
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4011125/descriptionofthesecurityupdateforwordviewerseptember12-2017 and
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4011134/descriptionofthesecurityupdateforwordviewerseptember12-2017

KB4011134 and KB4011125 are for Word Viewer, not Word.

Should we run them for Office 2003 ????

Edited by glnz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dencorso    531
7 hours ago, dencorso said:

@Bersaglio: Why KB4039111 is questionable/not recommended? :unsure:

2 hours ago, glnz said:

1)  Should I install KB4039111 on my XP Pro SP3?  It didn't self-install.  But why does bersgalio criticize it?  Does it smell bad or something?

I've figured it out: problem is @heinoganda is so good at it that he replied to our questions before we actually posed them!!! See;

7 hours ago, heinoganda said:

Unfortunately, MS in KB4039111 has an older version (5.1.2600.7239) attached to the file "xpsp2res.dll" against KB4018556-v2 (5.1.2600.7248), which can not be updated in Windows XP "xpsp2res.dll". Hopefully, this bug will be fixed by a subsequent update.
This could cause problems with the English language version of Windows XP Professional (ENU), as well as with all language versions of Windows XP Home. In a test in the VMware with the English-language version of Windows XP Professional, I have not found any problems (The file "xpsp2res.dll" was installed with version 5.1.2600.7248)!

In fact, I have already installed KB4039111 and did not find any problem either, so I think it can be used safely all right. :yes:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bersaglio    46
6 hours ago, glnz said:

KB4011134 and KB4011125 are for Word Viewer, not Word.

Should we run them for Office 2003 ????

Yes!:yes: These are critical updates for shared components (graphical component - gdiplus and usp10) used in both Word Viewer and full Office 2003.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
heinoganda    118
6 hours ago, dencorso said:

I've figured it out: problem is @heinoganda is so good at it that he replied to our questions before we actually posed them!!! See;

When I wrote this comment, which originally answered the questions of Dave-H and pcalvert, Dencorso wrote a comment to pcalvert at the same time, which I edited my comment to the extent that the part was removed at pcalver. Since I create my own Updaterollups where it is necessary to extract the individual updates from MS is the circumstance noticed because of the file xpsp2res.dll. At this point, however, I was just testing the various Updaterollups, where Dencorso has already published another comment. After the test, I have my comment because of the knowledge gained added. For this reason, there is a temporal discrepancy.

One might think, that MS to have evil intentions for the update KB4025398 from 08/28/2017 and KB4039111. Just suspect, that in a short time these errors happen! 

:)

Edited by heinoganda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
glnz    20

Bersaglio - thanks again for detail on KB4011134 and KB4011125.  I shall try them in my XP machine shortly.

Now, back to a related question - in my disguise as El Cheapo, we are running Office 2003 on my wife's important Win 7 Pro 64-bit machine.  To make matters more confusing, she then separately installed a newer version of Excel on top of it (probably 2013 - 32-bit).  So the machine has Excel 2013 and Office 2003 with the 2007 Compatibility Pack.

Are there any versions of KB4011134 and KB4011125 we should install on that Win 7 Pro 64-bit machine?

What happens if we don't?

Yes, I know this is .00001% off topic, but I am also El Shameless.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×