Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

glnz

POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

Again, updates this month take a long time. So much that I will download the cumulative update of IE8 KB4052978 (sort by giving date column header), install it and then update automatically to find the rest (only got KB4052303 and KB4051956)  as it was done last month.
I already did it and it took me 3 minutes. Amazing. I will do this every month.

Screenshot - 12_12_2017 , 19_54_28.jpg

Edited by wyxchari

Can anybody find the PT-PT version of the exFAT update for XP, KB955704, mentioned in this thread a few pages ago? I'm trying to build a repository of all updates for the NT5.x line of Oses in my native language, and I just can't find a working link for it... Here's the best I could find, from archive.org:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=pt-pt&FamilyID=1cbe3906-ddd1-4ca2-b727-c2dff5e30f61

Unfortunately, this page isn't archived and I don't know the exact download link for the update... :( (sorry if this comes a bit out of the topic at hand, but I figured it would be an extension of the discussion had here a few pages ago)

14 hours ago, greenhillmaniac said:

That's the Server 2003 update link. It doesn't work on XP!

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/955704/description-of-the-exfat-file-system-driver-update-package

"This article discusses the key features and benefits of the extended File Allocation Table (exFAT) file system drivers for Windows XP and for Windows Server 2003."

There is a link for XP x64. There is no XP for x32.

-----------------------------------------------------

WindowsXP-KB955704-x86-ENU.exe https://mega.nz/#!Jkdm3LSY!Wy8bmhsgUj2cBYs6ZlLGv1mXwIThxY8XvcjfceJ-KoE

WindowsXP-KB955704-x86-ESN.exe https://mega.nz/#!4x8xySYa!BVdRSuLlls3aqXR05GBXulYQKmZm87hJg1x3bn3dUhA

6 hours ago, roytam1 said:

He want -PTG version.

It may never have been created in Portuguese of Portugal. In Brazilian Portuguese it does exist.

WindowsXP-KB955704-x86-PTB.exe https://mega.nz/#!cotTQTzL!fU_X3ofCvi6nuX-z_Awc0OJ6YnVgbQN2VO98x8byRUg

Edited by wyxchari

10 hours ago, greenhillmaniac said:

Can anybody find the PT-PT version of the exFAT update for XP, KB955704, mentioned in this thread a few pages ago? I'm trying to build a repository of all updates for the NT5.x line of Oses in my native language, and I just can't find a working link for it... Here's the best I could find, from archive.org:

Go to Onepiece XP Post-SP3 AIO Update Pack FINAL at RyanVM. At the bottom of the first post, there is a list of mirrors. Most of the mirrors don't seem to have the original Microsoft issued updates used to build the pack, but currently the Mega.nz mirror (it's the goo.gl link right of the Dropbox one) does have them under the UpdatePack/Portuguese folder. You can probably get the other PTG updates you're still missing from there as well. (I'm not posting a direct link here because such repositories tend to be pretty volatile and I think it's more useful to know where to get the most current links.)

• Upvote 1

BTW, as the screen-shot in @wyxchari clearly shows. this month there's also ndp40-kb4021915-x86, which is available for download at the MS Update Catalog, but is not being offered at MU/WU, for some obscure and unguessable reason...

1 hour ago, dencorso said:

this month there's also ndp40-kb4021915-x86, which is available for download at the MS Update Catalog, but is not being offered at MU/WU, for some obscure and unguessable reason...

Of course! Because KB4021915 was released long ago, in early June 2017!:w00t:

Looks like this update got 'Critical' status in December instead of 'Important' in June. Microsoft decided.:rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Nice find @Bersaglio. :) I was just preparing to download it. And after reading this post, quick registry search showed that I already got it, thanks to informations on this page, probably.

Edited by niko32
  • Like 1

In my excellent home network (Workgroup), I have this XP machine on which I am now typing (Dell Optiplex 755), a Dell Optiplex 7010 dual-booting Win 7 Pro 64-bit and Win 10 Pro 64-bit, my wife's iMac and MacBook Pro, my Blackberry, my wife's two iPhones and two iPads, my Kindle, our HP AIO Printer, our DSL modem-router (the "treffpunkt"), my toothbrush and a paper cup with a string through the bottom.

Now, when the XP and the Win 10 Pro are both on, they do NOT see each other in Network.  Folders designated as "Shared" (yes, with the correct Security settings) don't work in Network,  They used to, but an update to the Win 10 stopped that.  Lots of folks are complaining about this, not just I.  (Shared folders work fine between the XP and the Win 7 and even between the XP and the iMac, but not between the XP and the Win 10.)

In the Win 10, if I re-enable SMBv1, it all works again - Shared folders are again visible between the XP and the 10.  But SMBv1 is some type of security no-no these days, so ideally we should be able to fix the problem with SMBv1 staying OFF in Win 10.  I checked, and the Win 10 does have SMBv2 enabled (and probably SMBv3 because they go together like peanut butter and jelly).

So - even though the fault is in the Win 10 and not yet fixed by MS, is there anything I can do in XP that will get the Shares sharing again?  Is there an SMBv2/3 for XP?  I also tried pouring coffee into that cup, but it dripped all over the dog.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Edited by glnz

3 hours ago, glnz said:

But SMBv1 is some type of security no-no these days, so ideally we should be able to fix the problem with SMBv1

As long as your router, or any other device do not forward the port 445 or 139 (default ports of the SMB) to the open internet, and SMB is used only on LAN, you should be safe. As Shodan shows, there are over million SMB connections visible from the open internet :>

There is no well known and reliable way of running SMB v2 or v3 on XP, and, personally, I'd be more afraid of testing some shady implementation, if the security is a concern.

So, from my point of view, I'd personally make sure that these ports are running only locally and not visible to the open internet. This website contains a lot of links how to do so. Second, If you are still afraid, you can try to disable it on the mobile devices using, for example, some firewall rules like 'allow connection only in this particular local network'. I don't know how to do it on Macs, I highly doubt it is possible on iPod/iPad if they support the protocol at all, not even saying about Kindle. Or limit allowed connections only to some particular devices.

So, SMB v1 runs in my local network, and yet I'm much more concerned about potential e-mail phishing or malwaretising hooking my relatives attention.

Agree SMB is a non issue, for home users or small business users at the very least.  As long as you have a router or external firewall blocking all of those ports in/out from the internet than it's a non issue.  Same goes for a lot of other things.  Microsoft is just doing this because there are too many retards out there.

I never share files with "shared folders". When I have to send files between computers, I do it by network unit. It works by default without special settings between my XP, 7 and 10. I only put the first time \\namepc\C$ and they are already open forever.

Edited by wyxchari

wyxchari - what is "network unit"?  Please send me link.  (Do you mean mapped drive, so that the entire hard drive of one computer has a mapped drive letter in the other?)

Destro - thanks for comment!

16 hours ago, glnz said:

wyxchari - what is "network unit"?  Please send me link.  (Do you mean mapped drive, so that the entire hard drive of one computer has a mapped drive letter in the other?)

Screenshot - 18_12_2017 , 08_49_13.jpg

You can map an entire unit \\namepc\C$ or a single folder \\namepc\C$\folder

Screenshot - 18_12_2017 , 08_48_20.jpg

Screenshot - 18_12_2017 , 08_48_50.jpg

Edited by wyxchari

I guess that's Administrative shares. Still goes through SMB or "shared folders".

GL

Edited by GrofLuigi