Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
428 replies to this topic

glnz

glnz

Junior

• Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Joined 25-January 11

Dencorso and Jaclaz - what about chkdsk /f ?  (Might it be dangerous?)

glnz      old Dell Optiplex 755DT XP Pro SP3 and new Optiplex 7010MT dual-booting Win7 Pro 64-bit and Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit (maybe soon Win 10?)

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,806 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

If chkdsk /f finds something, I'd really start to get worried... but even if it finds anything, it cannot recreate a good profile from a damaged one. However, that's another thing you should do only after you have a good backup. Your plan to put in another disk and restore the backup on it, then work on the new disk is sound and safe. Don't try to get a shortcut... usually that's something one regrets afterwards. This is the sort of situation where Murphy's Law applies: so, one has to make sure nothing relevant may go wrong, and then nothing at all will. :)

BTW, is your XP installed on NTFS or on FT-32? I have assumed it's on NTFS, but the only way to be sure is by asking you, of course. :)

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 15,355 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

@glnz

Yes, for the record if chkdsk finds an issue with file/folder permissions it attempts to fix it, but not necessarily it fixes it "right", so running it is (on the new, redeployed backup) is a very good idea :), but unlikely it will be able by it's own to fix the issue.

An example (not necessarily what happened or happens to you):

• a bit or a set of bits are corrupted on the filesystem
  • you cannot manually (because it throws an error) change the owner or permissions of a file
  • you then run chkdsk (which will hopefully repair the $MFT or *whatever* holding the permissions data)
  • chkdsk very likely will reset those data to a "default" that may (or may not be the desired setting)
  • then you reattempt changing the owner/permissions of that file to the desired ones and this time it works because the underlying structure is "fixed" 

In theory verifying the filesystem structures is a "common enough" and "safe enough" activity, but in practice - particularly when there is a suspect of a filesystem level corruption - it is much safer to make a full backup before.

The three golden rules of backup:

1. Backup
  2. Backup another time to another media.
  3. While pondering on the duality and redundance in the essence of the previous two rules, do backup AGAIN on a third media.

jaclaz

w2k4eva

w2k4eva
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 07-April 15
Hey, is anyone still running WIndows 3.1?

. . . .

ALSO: Way back when, I stopped a whole bunch of unneeded services from running on XP.  Never saw a problem, over many years.  But might these Event Viewer error messages result from a particular service not running (either always or when I installed the Jan. updates)?

Not as a daily surfer, and it's been an age since I booted it, but yes, I *DO* still have a Win3.1 system (it dualboots an old slackware install too). I think I even have those old install floppies that came with it.

As for the services, lots of people tweak those.  I think you would have started seeing any potential issues years ago, like at the next reboot after you adjusted them. If they didn't give trouble back then I doubt they are relevant now. In any case there is always the reference stuff compiled at http://www.blackvipe...configurations/ if you can't remember what the default values are or want to look up more details.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 1 anonymous users