Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
430 replies to this topic

glnz

glnz

Junior

• Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Joined 25-January 11

Dencorso and Jaclaz - what about chkdsk /f ?  (Might it be dangerous?)

glnz      old Dell Optiplex 755DT XP Pro SP3 and new Optiplex 7010MT dual-booting Win7 Pro 64-bit and Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit (maybe soon Win 10?)

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,806 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

If chkdsk /f finds something, I'd really start to get worried... but even if it finds anything, it cannot recreate a good profile from a damaged one. However, that's another thing you should do only after you have a good backup. Your plan to put in another disk and restore the backup on it, then work on the new disk is sound and safe. Don't try to get a shortcut... usually that's something one regrets afterwards. This is the sort of situation where Murphy's Law applies: so, one has to make sure nothing relevant may go wrong, and then nothing at all will. :)

BTW, is your XP installed on NTFS or on FT-32? I have assumed it's on NTFS, but the only way to be sure is by asking you, of course. :)

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 15,356 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

@glnz

Yes, for the record if chkdsk finds an issue with file/folder permissions it attempts to fix it, but not necessarily it fixes it "right", so running it is (on the new, redeployed backup) is a very good idea :), but unlikely it will be able by it's own to fix the issue.

An example (not necessarily what happened or happens to you):

• a bit or a set of bits are corrupted on the filesystem
  • you cannot manually (because it throws an error) change the owner or permissions of a file
  • you then run chkdsk (which will hopefully repair the $MFT or *whatever* holding the permissions data)
  • chkdsk very likely will reset those data to a "default" that may (or may not be the desired setting)
  • then you reattempt changing the owner/permissions of that file to the desired ones and this time it works because the underlying structure is "fixed" 

In theory verifying the filesystem structures is a "common enough" and "safe enough" activity, but in practice - particularly when there is a suspect of a filesystem level corruption - it is much safer to make a full backup before.

The three golden rules of backup:

1. Backup
  2. Backup another time to another media.
  3. While pondering on the duality and redundance in the essence of the previous two rules, do backup AGAIN on a third media.

jaclaz

w2k4eva

w2k4eva
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 07-April 15
Hey, is anyone still running WIndows 3.1?

. . . .

ALSO: Way back when, I stopped a whole bunch of unneeded services from running on XP.  Never saw a problem, over many years.  But might these Event Viewer error messages result from a particular service not running (either always or when I installed the Jan. updates)?

Not as a daily surfer, and it's been an age since I booted it, but yes, I *DO* still have a Win3.1 system (it dualboots an old slackware install too). I think I even have those old install floppies that came with it.

As for the services, lots of people tweak those.  I think you would have started seeing any potential issues years ago, like at the next reboot after you adjusted them. If they didn't give trouble back then I doubt they are relevant now. In any case there is always the reference stuff compiled at http://www.blackvipe...configurations/ if you can't remember what the default values are or want to look up more details.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,875 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

Reading about potentially corrupt OSes... I got to wonder. Has anyone had to do a repair install on an XP OS that was franken-POSReady-2009 yet?

MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
tpxmsfn1_zps393339c1.jpg

glnz

glnz

Junior

• Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Joined 25-January 11

Dencorso and Jaclaz - Much appreciate your tips and attention.  Shall not do anything on my important XP machine without first doing twelve or so backups and hiding a few of them around the apartment just in case.

But to assuage my evil twin, I ran chkdsk /f on my GX280 test machine.  It did not fix the issue, as after each subsequent reboot I get the same six "Application" error lines in Event Viewer.  But the machine still seems to run (or in this case walk).

The chkdsk results are the following:

Event Type:    Information
Event Source:    Winlogon
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    1001
Date:        5/4/2015
Time:        12:32:20 AM
User:        N/A
Computer:    [GX280 test machine name]
Description:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.                         
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 869 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 869 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 869 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.

39021246 KB total disk space.
  22691132 KB in 64146 files.
     21816 KB in 6991 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
    180418 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
  16127880 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
   9755311 total allocation units on disk.
   4031970 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
20 1a 01 00 ec 15 01 00 54 8a 01 00 00 00 00 00   .......T.......
53 01 00 00 04 00 00 00 2b 0a 00 00 00 00 00 00  S.......+.......
8e cb c6 07 00 00 00 00 6c 3a c1 38 00 00 00 00  ........l:.8....
3e 1f 5f 1b 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  >._.............
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 2c 9d c1 65 00 00 00 00  ........,..e....
00 a1 7b a6 00 00 00 00 b0 3a 07 00 92 fa 00 00  ..{......:......
00 00 00 00 00 f0 f4 68 05 00 00 00 4f 1b 00 00  .......h....O...

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

Thanks.

glnz      old Dell Optiplex 755DT XP Pro SP3 and new Optiplex 7010MT dual-booting Win7 Pro 64-bit and Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit (maybe soon Win 10?)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

glnz