Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
507 replies to this topic

bluebolt

bluebolt

• PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Joined 11-March 13

I’ve now followed up on the suggestions made here.

@w2k4eva, I think your implications--as I read them, that (1) this is probably not simply a Dell problem, and (2) these 1904 informations may just have been generated by having opened Help files--both appear to be spot-on.

I was able to check Event Viewer on my parents’ computer this evening (Acer Atom with Windows XP Home, POS registry fix applied, all updates installed).  There I found the same six Error listings as my Dell machines, confirming that it is not merely a Dell-related problem.

(Plus, my “3000” Dell is actually a “3000n,” and my “E520” Dell is actually an “E520n,” meaning I ordered these without an operating system.  I have Windows XP Pro installed on each, so they don’t even have the Dell “factory install image”).

I don’t know of any negative consequences to these Errors, but it is interesting, especially whatever happened on that one Dell machine after 4/8/2015 that eliminated the six Errors:

Okay, so whatever it was must have been after 4/8/2015 10:57:43 but before your next boot...

So that’s what I’ll be thinking about.

[other related information:  these machines all have AVG (not Avast), and all are run in administrator mode (no other users or accounts added)]

Edited by bluebolt, 01 July 2015 - 11:35 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

5eraph

5eraph

Update Packrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • Joined 04-July 05

Donator

Another update would be the Time Zone update ... but KB3049874 (TimeZones released 27 Mar) seems to be only for: Daylight saving time changes for Mexico, Mongolia, and Iran in Windows.

So I wouldn't probably need that update for now but if a new Time Zone update would appear for my area, could it just be installed right into Windows XP and would it actually install and work?

Can the update be changed in someway to be correctly added?

Time zone updates are cumulative; you need only install the latest to be up to date. The latest to be released by Microsoft so far is KB3062741-v2 on 19 June.

w2k4eva is correct concerning package installation:

Unfortunately MS has put blocking code into the time zone updates issued post-EOL. So this leaves you with three choices if you want them.

1) Look through the KB articles to find what was added, then adjust your time zones manually. Or copy the relevant registry entries, possibly from a newer machine that has the update installed... rather a pain.

2) Use the POSReady registry hack, then get the POSReady version of the update either from Windows Update or the Update Catalog. But be aware that this path is something of a one-way street - once the reghack is applied, you probably won't be able to reverse it from within Windows, you would need an offline registry editor.

3) Modify the updates to work on plain XP. This is the path I am using. Instructions can be found at http://www.ryanvm.ne...p=115464#115464 . I generally start from the WEPOS version rather than the W2K3 ones, although for timezone updates that are basically just regkeys the difference may not matter. Do be aware that the resulting update won't have the usual sanity checks about versions etc so you must be selective about finding a suitable source file and how it is applied - you wouldn't want to have an IE7 update applied to a system that has either IE6 or IE8, for example.

monroe

monroe

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Joined 21-May 07

Donator

Thanks w2k4eva, 5eraph for the information about those two updates.

monroe

bluebolt

bluebolt

• PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Joined 11-March 13

I found out how to get rid of the six recurring Errors in Event Viewer.

Okay, so whatever it was must have been after 4/8/2015 10:57:43 but before your next boot...

Poking around the Dell XPS (the machine the Errors mysteriously vanished from on 4/8/2015), I noticed that I had run a “System Restore” at 10:52:57 A.M., which I do vaguely remember, as I hadn’t used that function on any computer in at least a couple of years:

Attached File  The Clue is Found.JPG   30.66KB   0 downloads

So I proceeded to test for solution on the two Dell machines that still had the six Event Viewer Error listings.  I simply ran System Restore to the nearest point (July 1st) on the Dell E520, and it worked!  I restarted the computer a few times, and the Errors are gone.  I then did a full shutdown, came back later and pushed the power button, let the desktop settle in, and the “fix” remained, as can be seen here:

Attached File  Solved.JPG   176.06KB   0 downloads

Then I tested  the “System Restore” fix on the Dell 3000, restarted the computer a couple of times, and again the Event Viewer Errors have been eliminated.

When I’m next at my parents’ place, I will test the fix on their Acer computer as well, and report back with results.

Again, apparently all that has to be done to eliminate the Event Viewer Errors is to run a System Restore.

@glnz, if you try this on your computers, could you please post your results here?  Having delved into this thing for no apparent reason, I’m curious to find out if this works for anyone else.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,559 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

I don't get it. How does System Restore "fix" it (except to "back out" HDD/OS changes)?

https://support.micr...en-us/kb/306084

So, are the "problem updates" still installed? I can't see how if Restore Point backed it/them out?

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

bluebolt

bluebolt

• PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Joined 11-March 13

I don't get it. How does System Restore "fix" it (except to "back out" HDD/OS changes)?

https://support.micr...en-us/kb/306084

So, are the "problem updates" still installed? I can't see how if Restore Point backed it/them out?

You got me, submix8c, I don't see any sense in it either.  I don’t think the restorations had any affect on the updates; the E520 and 3000 computers already had all POS updates installed from June, and I used the shortest rollback available.  For instance, I only restored the E520 back to the first of July, just three days ago.  Literally the only updates “undone” by the restorations would be AVG, which I re-updated after the restorations with no ill effects.

It seems that the act of running System Restore is per se the solution.  Unfathomable, as yet.

bluebolt

bluebolt

• PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Joined 11-March 13

Okay, I just tried the "System Restore" fix on my parents' Acer XP Home computer, and it worked again.

I did it a little differently this time:  I first set the restore point manually, then immediately--without so much as a reboot--ran System Restore back to that point.  In other words, I basically just restored the existing system set.

Once again, this exercise alone was enough to eliminate the Event Viewer errors.  The fix again has survived multiple restarts.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,559 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

Something goofy here. Are you aware of where the Restore Points are stored?

(Hint - System Volume Information folder)

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users