Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
824 replies to this topic

heinoganda

heinoganda

Junior

• Pip
  • 99 posts
  • Joined 24-February 15

Here is equal to a Simple medicine for Pale Moon browser v26

What is needed is the tool "hexalter.exe" and "delcert.exe", as well as the file "palemoon.exe" from Pale Moon browser, which should be located in a directory. Now just create and run a batch file with the following code.

hexalter.exe palemoon.exe 0x274A=0x4E,0x00,0x4F,0x00,0x46,0x00,0x55,0x00,0x43,0x00,0x4B,0x00,0x50,0x00,0x4D
delcert.exe palemoon.exe

So Pale Moon no longer looking for the POSReady entry in the registry.

Update:

Since dencorso means that the certificates it is better to remove from the file "palemoon.exe" I reworked the code of the batch file.

Thanks @Plosa for the Link of hexalter.exe, also @dencorso for the Info and Link of delcert.exe

:)

Edited by heinoganda, 27 January 2016 - 01:15 PM.

• LoneCrusader likes this
Cert_Updater to download and update the roots certificates as of revoked certificates for Windows XP here

Tutorial for current roots certificates and revoked certificate for Windows XP here

List of .NET Framework updates for Windows XP after April 2014 here

Complete list of .NET Framework 3.5 and 4 updates for Windows XP here

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Dibya

Dibya

Fighting against death of Windows XP

• PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Joined 22-October 15

hi , i own hxd

Where can i have hexalter

Plosa

Plosa
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 26-November 12

You can find an archived copy of the hexalter tool here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20150430211221/http://kuwanger.net/misc/hexalter.shtml

A big thank you, heinoganda, for the fast and easy solution. No need to say that it works perfectly.

Regards.

• heinoganda and Dibya like this

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 6,404 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

It's better, in this particular case, to run delcert.exe after hexalter, instead of PEChecksum.exe, because delcert will both remove the now invalid certificate and then correct the PE checksum. IMO it's better to have a non-signed file than one having an invalid certificate. Of course, that's just my 2 ¢.

• 5eraph, heinoganda and Dibya like this

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,918 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

@Dibya - HxD would probably work as well as HexAlter. It appears that HexAlter simply replaces byte-wise starting at a given Offset each byte until done.

Here are some folks who apparently have the (some) code?

https://gist.github....69e5a948977694d

And I agree with dencorso on his suggestion. Also my thanks for pointing out yet another tool.

• Dibya likes this

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

liamZ

liamZ
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 18-December 15

Thanks heinoganda for the solution.

I found another way of doing it without touching palemoon.exe

If you run WinXP as a limited user like i do (and using the program SuRun to elevate permisions when needed), or you just run palemoon as a limited user, you just can remove users permissions from the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady

and leave only Administrators, SYSTEM and CREATOR OWNER

and modify the owner to Administrators.

After that you can run palemoon as a limited user without any problem.

After these changes I still get posready updates through system tray icon and install them without problems, but installing them through internet explorer ends with an error.

heinoganda

heinoganda

Junior

• Pip
  • 99 posts
  • Joined 24-February 15

@liamZ

Personally, I use this POSReady entry in the registry not to times I published POSReady updates itself Modify if necessary correct (for example by KB3072630 for Microsoft Installer, where one has removed the query of the existing version of the file update_SP3QFE.inf) having to be installed easily in a normal XP environment. Think forward at this point that there's various nasties on us XP users. I'm curious how it soon with Chrome looks, as here the support for Windows XP stopped this year.

Edited by heinoganda, 27 January 2016 - 02:22 PM.

Cert_Updater to download and update the roots certificates as of revoked certificates for Windows XP here

Tutorial for current roots certificates and revoked certificate for Windows XP here

heinoganda

heinoganda

Junior

• Pip
  • 99 posts
  • Joined 24-February 15

There are an update for root certificates:

authroots.sst  from  01/28/2016

Those using heinoganda's Cert_Updater.exe should run it ASAP. Others needing a redistributable rootsupd.exe should follow his instructions for creating their own, or PM at 5eraph for an updated EXE file.

Edited by heinoganda, 06 February 2016 - 12:16 PM.

SD73

SD73

• 20 posts
  • Joined 07-December 15

Bluebolt - your fix is working on my XP machine! 

I created a new system restore point, immediately restored to that point, rebooted, and no more error messages.  Two or three reboots now.

The odd temp folders in Documents and Settings are gone.

The folders LocalService and NetworkService in Documents and Settings are showing a "Date Modified" time of my first successful reboot just now.  (I recall they were stuck on a January date before.)

The only odd thing is that in System Properties - Advanced - User Profiles - Settings, there are still five "Account Unknown"s last modified 6-23-15, each with a size of 20.4MB.  (My own profile is 2.86GB, last modified today.)  Should I try deleting those "Account Unknown"s?  (Where are they on C:\ drive anyway?)

Of course, this just might be only cosmetic - what do I know?  Is there a deeper level I should check?

Thanks!

[PS - for some reason, after May 27, I no longer get email alerts whenever someone posts here.  But my profile on this forum is to get those alerts.  What happened?]

I've been racking my brains trying to figure out why I had a some errors showing up in my event logs.  I ASSumed it was because in my never ending cause to eliminate Services I don't need I disabled something I shouldn't have.  Since my machine is primarily for sending out emails once a month and not much more I've tried to secure it as best I could by eliminating as many extraneous things I could.  So after a lot or researching why I was getting 1502, 1508, 1511, and 1515 all related to Temp Profiles I ended up back here.  The place I should have started as I would have saved a few hours of troubleshooting.  Thank you GLNZ for asking this question.  I never would have thought of posting it here.  And thank you Bluebolt for your answer!  This issue has been around for over a decade and I tried many of the solutions posted with not luck at all.  Your's worked like a charm.  It was simple as pie too!  And now my Task Manager shows just 26 Service running.  The O/S on my old machine seems as speedy as a new machine.

Thanks guys for such a fantastic forum!  

Edited by SD73, 30 January 2016 - 04:37 PM.

Dell Inspiron 530s / 2Gb RAM

Dual Boot:  XP Home 32 Bit w/SP3 / Linux Mint Cinnamon 64-bit

Office 2003 (Outlook & Word)

Firefox

CCleaner

VNC

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

BitDefender

bluebolt

bluebolt

• PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Joined 11-March 13

Bluebolt - your fix is working on my XP machine! 

I created a new system restore point, immediately restored to that point, rebooted, and no more error messages.

I've been racking my brains trying to figure out why I had a some errors showing up in my event logs.

Man, what a crazy coincidence:  I used the System Restore trick just today on another machine that had odd Event Viewer “errors” at every startup, which I was pretty sure weren’t real errors--and it worked!  No more Event Viewer errors every time I boot up the machine.

I was even thinking about starting a new thread about “Using System Restore to Remove Event Viewer Errors” except…

I still have no idea how / why this works.

SD73

SD73

• 20 posts
  • Joined 07-December 15

Well i for one am certainly glad you did post here.  I I know myself well enough to know that little trick of yours would have been the very last thing I tried.  Thanks again!

Dell Inspiron 530s / 2Gb RAM

Dual Boot:  XP Home 32 Bit w/SP3 / Linux Mint Cinnamon 64-bit

Office 2003 (Outlook & Word)

Firefox

CCleaner

VNC

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

BitDefender

5eraph

5eraph

Update Packrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Joined 04-July 05

Donator

I noticed the comments in the thread on RyanVM are not available anymore. I had some remarks about the latest certificate changes added by Microsoft[...]

@Acheron
Today I had to change the links in my posts to the contribution in RyanVM Forum, because the origional contribution was no longer available. Apparently there were problems.

The original thread seems to have been corrupted somehow, giving visitors an error 500 (Internal Server Error) when trying to access it. The thread was temporarily replaced and all comments were moved pending a fix. RyanVM fixed the issue and the original thread has been restored with all comments.

Edited by 5eraph, 06 February 2016 - 10:48 AM.

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 6,404 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

Also the IE6 version of KB3124275 is availble at the MS Update Catalog, and it has inside the latest (and presumably also last) versions of browseui.dll and shdocvw.dll (v. 6.0.2900.6985)... true, IE8 doesn't need those, but explorer.exe uses them.  :w00t:

As predicted, KB3134814 came out in just two versions: IE7 and IE8. So, as of today, IE6 has actrualy become truly EoS. :(

In total, this Patch Tuesday brought 11 patches, with no reported issues.

BTW, Windows Embedded for Point of Service (WEPOS) SP3, Extended Support will end on April 12, 2016...

That should be the date the last files intended for IE7 may be released. After that, it too becomes EoS.

• Dibya likes this

Dave-H

Dave-H

MSFN Expert

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,225 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

I don't think many people will be mourning the final demise of IE6, a browser without even tabs!

Such a shame that some versions of Windows use its files so much for other purposes, like Windows Explorer.

:lol:

Anyway, all today's offerings have been installed on my system with no apparent problems.

I noticed that some files dating from 2008 have been updated!

Triple boot Windows 98SE SP2.1a, Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit, and Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit.
Dual 3.16GHz X5460 Quad Core Xeons with 8GB RAM. Dual graphics cards ATI Radeon X600 and Nvidia Quadro 2000. 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

Acheron

Acheron

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  • Joined 28-June 04

Another possibility is that Internet Explorer 6 is not affected, or that an update for Internet Explorer 6 will be made available later.

Say no to bloatware. Download Nero Lite!

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 6,404 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

Another possibility is that Internet Explorer 6 is not affected, or that an update for Internet Explorer 6 will be made available later.

No way! Windows XP Embedded Service Pack 3 (SP3), Extended Support ended on Jan. 12, 2016... it was the very last MS product which support was keeping them creating IE6 updates. There must have been a party at Redmond on that day, for the wake o IE6! :P

• Dibya likes this

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 6,404 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

@all: this thread is getting heavy. We're on post #888, already! I'd like to close this thread by #999 or1000.

Of course, I'll open a new thread for continuing the discussions, as this is an ongoing matter, but keeping threads not too heavy is advised. So, please, do spend some moments reflecting on what title should be given to the new thread, when opened. I think the same title followed by (Part II) is somewhat poor, albeit quite precise. Please advise. There's some time till 1000, so there's no hurry, but I really want to avoid doing it by surprise and thence causing unwanted reactions, OK?

Dave-H

Dave-H

MSFN Expert

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,225 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

I can see your concern Den.

This thread will potentially be important for another three years!

I also use Digital Spy forums, and they seem happy to let threads get up to many thousands of posts, but I can see why this might be a problem.

They do split threads sometimes, but they do tend to just keep the original tile appended with "(Part 2)" or "(Part 3)" which is a bit boring!

I don't really know that would be better I'm afraid, to keep that link with the original(s).

Triple boot Windows 98SE SP2.1a, Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit, and Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit.
Dual 3.16GHz X5460 Quad Core Xeons with 8GB RAM. Dual graphics cards ATI Radeon X600 and Nvidia Quadro 2000. 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

5eraph

5eraph

Update Packrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Joined 04-July 05

Donator

I would recommend splitting the topic into three or more parts: DotNET, EMET, POS, and possibly "Certificate Update" discussions. Can't tell you how many times I've checked the thread for updates on the latter two and received chatter on only the former two. ;)

Edited by 5eraph, 10 February 2016 - 06:25 PM.

Acheron

Acheron

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  • Joined 28-June 04

I agree as well that the update thread should get split. The EMET / MBAE security discussion should be moved a new topic.

Say no to bloatware. Download Nero Lite!

Dave-H

Dave-H

MSFN Expert

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,225 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

I agree as well that the update thread should get split. The EMET / MBAE security discussion should be moved a new topic.

I agree with this.

When I got involved in the long discussion about the various versions of EMET and how to install and configure them on XP, mainly with @heinoganda, who has been incredibly helpful to me with this, I quickly realised that we were getting very off-topic!

It did seem relevant at the start as EMET was one of the recommended applications to install to maintain XP security, but the posts about it took over for a while.

This thread should only be about getting official updates from Microsoft for our XP systems, using the POSReady and Embedded updates, and any problems with them.

glnz

glnz

• PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Joined 25-January 11

dencorso - in your continuation of THIS thread about POS and other security updates for XP, maybe start it with the very useful summary of all steps that you posted above at this link:

http://www.msfn.org/...-enu/?p=1115639

That one summarizes everything and was very useful for my catch-up six weeks ago.

Also ask you edit it from time to time to add new lines.

Many thanks.

glnz      old Dell Optiplex 755DT XP Pro SP3 (4GB RAM) and new Optiplex 7010MT dual-booting Win7 Pro 64-bit and Win 10 Pro 64-bit (16GB RAM)

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 6,404 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

Done! It sure is a start, and we all agree about it. Thanks are due to Acheron, for the post list, without which my task would've been way more difficult! And congratulations to Dave-H: you're now thread starter of the new EMET thread! :yes:

glnz

glnz

• PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Joined 25-January 11

Well, gang, no one has posted any warnings about this past Tuesday's updates.  All OK? 

(Although I suppose if anyone's XP machine had exploded with gears and watch-springs flying everywhere, he wouldn't be able to post.)

glnz      old Dell Optiplex 755DT XP Pro SP3 (4GB RAM) and new Optiplex 7010MT dual-booting Win7 Pro 64-bit and Win 10 Pro 64-bit (16GB RAM)

Dave-H

Dave-H

MSFN Expert

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,225 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

All fine here.

:yes:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users