Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

harkaz

harkaz

Junior

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Of course, at the moment, such files must be extracted and added by hand, because there's no stand-alone installer for them.

Except for copying the files to \WINDOWS\System32 these files need to be copied to \dllcache and install a catalog file for them every time they're updated, if SFC is enabled. This means you have to modify the IE8 cumulative update's update.inf file and: a) add the IE6 cumulative update catalog file to [productcatalogstoinstall], [sourcediskfiles] and [archivecatalogfilesonly] B) add the necessary lines to copy .CAT and .DLL to dllcache c) copy the IE6 update CAT file to the main IE8 update folder (not the \update subfolder).

Edited by harkaz, Today, 02:16 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Hmm, I don't think I'll bother doing that then!

:D

Presumably these later files aren't that critical for IE7 and IE8 or they would surely have been included in the updates for those browsers.

:)

Dual boot Windows 98SE SP2.1a and Windows XP Professional SP3.
Dual 3.2GHz Xeons with 4GB RAM. ATI Radeon X850 Graphics 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Super Moderator
  • 5,756 posts

Donator

No. Even when SFC is not disabled, by simply copying them to \WINDOWS\System32\dllcache and \WINDOWS\System32 of an inactive (non-booted) system is enought for Windows XP to accept them and give no complaining message. Of course, after that, if SFC ever activates it will only be able to replace the files in \WINDOWS\System32 with those in \WINDOWS\System32\dllcache, but since the signatures will not correct as per the standing catalog, and the files are identical to those in dllcache SFC maybe stops protecting them. But in any case, by simply booting to a linux live disc or a Win PE (or to DOS, in case Win XP is on FAT-32 as all my iown nstallations are), one can simply replace those files in both folders and XP will keep working with no complaints at all.  

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

That's good to know Den!

I still wonder why they would update files for IE6 installations but not for IE7 or 8, unless the updates weren't actually necessary in those browsers.

Dual 3.2GHz Xeons with 4GB RAM. ATI Radeon X850 Graphics 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

5eraph

5eraph

Update Packrat

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,139 posts

Donator

Special cases exist, Dave-H. But I'm only aware of one of them.

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

That's very interesting, in fact I am getting the blank window so presumably need the hotfix!

My shdocvw.dll file is older than the one in the hotfix, but as it's a hotfix you need to request from MS and can't just download, I don't think I'll bother!

Edited by Dave-H, Today, 11:32 AM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN