Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

harkaz

harkaz

Junior

• Pip
  • 74 posts
  • Joined 28-August 12

Of course, at the moment, such files must be extracted and added by hand, because there's no stand-alone installer for them.

Except for copying the files to \WINDOWS\System32 these files need to be copied to \dllcache and install a catalog file for them every time they're updated, if SFC is enabled. This means you have to modify the IE8 cumulative update's update.inf file and: a) add the IE6 cumulative update catalog file to [productcatalogstoinstall], [sourcediskfiles] and [archivecatalogfilesonly] B) add the necessary lines to copy .CAT and .DLL to dllcache c) copy the IE6 update CAT file to the main IE8 update folder (not the \update subfolder).

Edited by harkaz, 11 July 2014 - 02:16 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 813 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

Hmm, I don't think I'll bother doing that then!

:D

Presumably these later files aren't that critical for IE7 and IE8 or they would surely have been included in the updates for those browsers.

:)

Dual boot Windows 98SE SP2.1a and Windows XP Professional SP3.
Dual 3.2GHz Xeons with 4GB RAM. ATI Radeon X850 Graphics 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,866 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

No. Even when SFC is not disabled, by simply copying them to \WINDOWS\System32\dllcache and \WINDOWS\System32 of an inactive (non-booted) system is enought for Windows XP to accept them and give no complaining message. Of course, after that, if SFC ever activates it will only be able to replace the files in \WINDOWS\System32 with those in \WINDOWS\System32\dllcache, but since the signatures will not correct as per the standing catalog, and the files are identical to those in dllcache SFC maybe stops protecting them. But in any case, by simply booting to a linux live disc or a Win PE (or to DOS, in case Win XP is on FAT-32 as all my iown nstallations are), one can simply replace those files in both folders and XP will keep working with no complaints at all.  

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 813 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

That's good to know Den!

I still wonder why they would update files for IE6 installations but not for IE7 or 8, unless the updates weren't actually necessary in those browsers.

Dual 3.2GHz Xeons with 4GB RAM. ATI Radeon X850 Graphics 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

5eraph

5eraph

Update Packrat

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,153 posts
  • Joined 04-July 05

Donator

Special cases exist, Dave-H. But I'm only aware of one of them.

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 813 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

That's very interesting, in fact I am getting the blank window so presumably need the hotfix!

My shdocvw.dll file is older than the one in the hotfix, but as it's a hotfix you need to request from MS and can't just download, I don't think I'll bother!

Edited by Dave-H, 11 July 2014 - 11:32 AM.

the xt guy

the xt guy

• PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Joined 19-July 06

Donator

Can someone tell me how to download the standalone POSReady 2009 updates?

-X-

-X-

• Patrons
  • 2,412 posts
  • Joined 08-January 04

Donator

Go to the Microsoft Update Catalog using Internet Explorer and search for POSReady. 

Microsoft_Update_Catalog.png

Download all Windows XP Post SP3 High-Priority Updates with a simple double click @ xdot.tk post-12166-0-42859000-1399044129.png ]
               If someone helps you fix a problem, please report back so they and others can benefit from the solution. Thanks!

the xt guy

the xt guy

• PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Joined 19-July 06

Donator

Wow, that's it! Thanks -X-!

Interesting that there are IE 6 updates for POSReady 2009 even though it comes with IE 7.

I did a search on the net a couple weeks ago about removing IE 7 on POSR 2009 and installing IE 6 (not that I'm trying to do that). Someone on some forum (can't remember where) wanted to do that as they had a mission critical app that had to have IE 6 installed. The single response they got back was that their source of POSR 2009 would need to supply them with a special build that had IE 6 instead of 7.

I can't help but chuckle at the idea that MS is still supporting IE 6 with patches until July 2015 for 2K3 (and who knows how far beyond that, with POSR 2009!).

IE 6: the browser that defines Microsoft.

Edited by the xt guy, 15 July 2014 - 10:23 AM.

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 5,866 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

Interesting that there are IE 6 updates for POSReady 2009 even though it comes with IE 7.

Yes. But WEPOS was released on 5/24/2005, and came with IE6... And that means extended support until 7/14/2015, just like for Windows Server 2003.

I can't help but chuckle at the idea that MS is still supporting IE 6 with patches until July 2015 for 2K3 (and who knows how far beyond that, with POSR 2009!).

Well, in any case IE6 SP3. Updates for IE6 SP1 stopped some time ago.

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 813 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

I didn't think there was a SP3 for IE6, perhaps it came out after I upgraded to IE8.

IIRC IE6 SP2 came with Windows XP SP2 (it was never released for Windows 2000), but Windows XP SP3 didn't include an update for IE.

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 5,866 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

IE6 files v. 6.0.2900.5512 or higher are sp3... the most recent are marked (xpsp_sp3_qfe.xxxxxx-xxxx)
Of course XP SP3 included an update for IE6, but it wasn't advertised as such in so many words. :D
BTW, I think the very last update for IE6 SP1 came out on Feb 2013 MS security ISO update package.

A reliable guide is the version of SHDOCVW.DLL, as sumarized in this table (please scroll down, it's the Builds table that's relevant...).

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 813 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

Of course XP SP3 included an update for IE6, but it wasn't advertised as such in so many words.  :D

Indeed, if you looked at Help>About Internet Explorer in IE6, it always still said that it was SP2 even after updating Windows XP to SP3.

Although there obviously were many subsequent updates after it changed from SP1 to SP2, that never changed.

IIRC MS were actually asked why they didn't include IE7 with XP SP3, and they said they decided to let people upgrade IE manually only if they wanted to.

-X-

-X-

• Patrons
  • 2,412 posts
  • Joined 08-January 04

Donator

The reason they didn't include IE7 in SP3 is because it's an upgrade, not an update. They did however pushed it as a "High-Priority" update via the XP update mechanisms because it boasts added security features just like they do with IE8 today. This is unlike Windows Media Player 11 which has no added security features. Service packs are about bug fixes and patches. Not about upgrades though they added major features with SP2.

Edited by -X-, 16 July 2014 - 06:26 AM.

Download all Windows XP Post SP3 High-Priority Updates with a simple double click @ xdot.tk post-12166-0-42859000-1399044129.png ]
               If someone helps you fix a problem, please report back so they and others can benefit from the solution. Thanks!

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 813 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

Interested to be offered an update to Silverlight by Microsoft Update today.

I don't know if that's because I'm also getting the Windows XP Embedded updates, I had assumed that no further updates would be offered for any MS programs on XP now.

MrMaguire

MrMaguire

Microsoft has lost the plot

• Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Joined 30-April 14

Interested to be offered an update to Silverlight by Microsoft Update today.

I don't know if that's because I'm also getting the Windows XP Embedded updates, I had assumed that no further updates would be offered for any MS programs on XP now.

I noticed the same update on Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. It must be important, seeing as though we're in-between patch Tuesdays.

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 813 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

Yes, a very critical security patch I guess that couldn't wait!

5eraph

5eraph

Update Packrat

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,153 posts
  • Joined 04-July 05

Donator

Mid-cycle updates (fourth Tuesday of the month) for IE8's Compatibility View list were common for a couple years until IE9 was released.

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 5,866 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

MS released KB2993651 (MS14-045) on Aug 27, 2014 (so totally out-of-band). It should be a full fix to a previous botched update (KB2919355) but, at least  The 7+ versions came out already also botched.  At WU/MU there actually is a KB2993651 for WEPOS and POSReady 2009, which is also available from the MS Upd Catalog, as usual. Care is recommended. Better prevent it from installing right away, at least until we're sure it actually is safe or a further hotfix replaces it. Just my 2¢, of course. Interestingly enough, AFAIK, KB2919355 wasn't ever released for WEPOS and POSReady 2009... or, at least, it sure wasn't offered at WU/MU.

harkaz

harkaz

Junior

• Pip
  • 74 posts
  • Joined 28-August 12

BUG REPORT: KB2926765 update prevents Internet and E-mail client selection from the Start menu.

After applying the specific update to a POSReady 2009 system, Start menu will always show the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet Internet Client even if HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet is not empty.

The same bug is observed with the E-mail client.

As a result, the end-user cannot change the Start menu Internet and E-mail icons from the Start Menu.

Edited by harkaz, 02 September 2014 - 11:23 AM.

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,140 posts
  • Joined 24-November 04

MS released KB2993651 (MS14-045) on Aug 27, 2014 (so totally out-of-band). It should be a full fix to a previous botched update (KB2919355) but, at least  The 7+ versions came out already also botched.  At WU/MU there actually is a KB2993651 for WEPOS and POSReady 2009, which is also available from the MS Upd Catalog, as usual. Care is recommended. Better prevent it from installing right away, at least until we're sure it actually is safe or a further hotfix replaces it. Just my 2¢, of course. Interestingly enough, AFAIK, KB2919355 wasn't ever released for WEPOS and POSReady 2009... or, at least, it sure wasn't offered at WU/MU.

KB2919355 is an update only for Windows 8.1 & Windows Server 2012 R2 and does not apply to any other version of Windows.

The KB2993651 patches are good (at least the Vista/Win7/Win8.1 versions as those haven't messed up my Windows computers) and replaces the faulty KB2982791 patches which have caused BSODs at startup on some machines.

Edited by erpdude8, 18 September 2014 - 06:43 PM.

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 5,866 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

What about KB2993651's "Known Issue 2" ?

After you install this update, the z-order of the windows is changed. (The z-order calls the SetWindowPos function together with the HWND_TOP parameter.) Therefore, the windows of certain applications may become invisible or may be incorrectly displayed behind other windows.

Does it also happen on Win Server 2k3 / WEPOS / POSReady 2k9 / XP ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN