Make The New Firefox Look and Act Like the Old Firefox

ZortMcGort11

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/make-the-new-firefox-look-and-act-like-the-old-firefox/

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/

I've been doing my best to like Firefox 29, but try as I might, I am not enjoying the latest version of Mozilla's browser all that much. For starters, it looks too similar to Chrome, which has become a source of confusion as I use both browsers and like to be able to keep them straight at a glance. (Do your own thing, Firefox -- don't fall in line with the popular kid in browser school.) Also, familiar buttons have been moved or are just plain missing. And the thing is slow; on my admittedly aging MacBook Pro, it has been freezing at a much greater rate than the previous version, and Firefox 28 wasn't great in this regard.

I want my old Firefox back, or at least some parts of it. I found an extension that offers a host of options to tweak the look and feel of Firefox 29, though I don't have any tips on how to speed it up. The extension in question is Classic Theme Restorer. It offers a great many settings, and most of the time you can experiment with a setting without restarting Firefox. To access all that the extension can do, open your Add-ons page in Firefox and click the Preferences button for Classic Theme Restorer....

Edited by LostInSpace2012

OR just use Pale Moon

I really see no difference in Pale Moon, and Firefox other than the UI. (Yes I downloaded Pale moon to compare it to the version of Firefox I have which is Firefox 7.0.1)

EDIT this is also on my Vista pc comparing the latest Pale Moon vs an old Firefox

Edited by Flasche

OR just use Pale Moon

I really see no difference in Pale Moon, and Firefox other than the UI. (Yes I downloaded Pale moon to compare it to the version of Firefox I have which is Firefox 7.0.1)

EDIT this is also on my Vista pc comparing the latest Pale Moon vs an old Firefox

There is one major difference: Firefox 24.0.5 esr runs on a non-SSE2 processor, while the last PaleMoon to do so is 3.6.32 (I should know, this is an Athlon XP 3000+ and those two specific versions do run here). That means Firefox still retains a lot of code to suppotr older hardware, which is just bloat when running on newer machines. I love PaleMoon so much that I keep v 3.6.32 on this machine... but newer versions only on my newer hardware. In any case, lack of SSE2 will eventually be the reason I'll decommission this -- otherwise perfectly good -- machine. :(

There is one major difference: Firefox 24.0.5 esr runs on a non-SSE2 processor, while the last PaleMoon to do so is 3.6.32.

Curious to know about what version of Firefox is Palemoon 3.6.32 based off of. Is it Firefox 3.6.28, Firefox 3.6.29pre, or one I never even heard of :ph34r: .

3.6.28... sort of. More exactly, they started by giving a full revision/optimization to the 3.6.0 code, and then revised all the patches in detail up to 28, and continued by creating their own (from scratch) afterwards, based on the patches given the later versions, up to 32, and then decided to retire it (although they do keep it available as "legacy").