Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Struggling to install openbsd amd64

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Flasche

Flasche

A bottled message!!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Joined 20-January 14

As the title states, I'm struggling to install OpenBSD/amd64 on my hp pavilion p6510y. My goal is to dual boot it with my windows vista (64 bit), but when I plop my DVD in it just constantly brings up a bunch of random letters. (the letters you get with a corrupted hard drive except it doesn't make a long list, but randomly generates, letter at the cursor). My HP pavilion has a AMD Anthlon ll x4 (2.80 gh) processors, which is why I downloaded the OpenBSD/amd64. Do not the harddrive is not corrupt for I tried multiple hard drives, and accidentally the one with vista :ph34r: .

Seeker Of Truth by E. E. Cummings                                                                                           Quote (Me)

• seeker of truth                                                 "If you want to reach and discover the true meaning of order; You must go through chaos first."            344d0f9.jpg
  • follow no path                                 
  • all paths lead where
  • truth is here

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,338 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

For the record -

http://www.openbsd.org/amd64.html

Hmmm... have you tried booting the ISO in a VM? Sounds like the DVD you burned(?) got corrupted (maybe). I never burn faster than 4x DVD's and 8x for CD's (safe bets).

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

Flasche

Flasche

A bottled message!!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Joined 20-January 14

Thank you, but I already know about that.

Hmmm... have you tried booting the ISO in a VM? Sounds like the DVD you burned(?) got corrupted (maybe). I never burn faster than 4x DVD's and 8x for CD's (safe bets).

No I have not tried to boot in a VM yet, but I did have issues with dvd's and my computer before  :ph34r:  so that is a very possible (Most likely) answer. (I use imgburn just to throw that out there) I'll try in a VM, and will report here later.

Edited by Flasche, 22 May 2014 - 11:06 AM.

Seeker Of Truth by E. E. Cummings                                                                                           Quote (Me)

• seeker of truth                                                 "If you want to reach and discover the true meaning of order; You must go through chaos first."            344d0f9.jpg
  • follow no path                                 
  • all paths lead where
  • truth is here

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,338 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

Yes, I figured as much (since you had downloaded it). Just inserting the link for other interested parties.

Also for the record -

http://h20565.www2.h...ette.cachetoken

Nice specs (including the DVD). ;) Be aware that using -any- DVD's (+ or -) that are RW -may- not boot at all (or improperly). I've seen that it's recommended to -not- use RW. I found out the hard way that CD/RW are ok but not DVD/RW. You have to -literally- "waste" non-RW's for testing unless yo first do in a VM. I like/prefer using "-R" for final Data DVD's (had a reader/burner that would not recognize +R Boot even though supported reading them -on running OS-) and +R for Video (unless your Commercial Player supports other-than). And the speed of burn still goes (safety net). :yes:

HTH

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users