Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Long Term System Stability?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

TELVM

TELVM

• PipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Joined 09-February 12
Beware that those caps are filtering the VRM output to the Northbridge, which is mission critical for stability, and that's why top-notch and expensive Ruby MCZs were used there.

They shouldn't be replaced with just any cap of same uF and voltage, they need to be of same or better ripple tolerance and ESR (higher ripple is better, lower ESR is better).

Can't find specs of Illinois caps 'JWT' series.

The Panny FJ 2200uF 6.3V 10x20 are 2550 ripple / 0.013 ESR => might work OK, but they are inferior to the MCZs (lower ripple, higher ESR => badder).

On Precision 470 cooling: Do these Northbridge caps benefit from the flow inside the green ducts? Or do they remain outside the ducts?

From these pics it looks like they are in a dead zone right between the ducts:

Spoiler

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

The taller 2200 uF one is definitely between the ducts.  I will have to check carefully whether the 1500s are in or out.  Perhaps I can work up some kind of mod that will improve airflow there.  This is not going to be a mission critical system, but will be used for training so it will be nice if I can restore it to its prior reliability (it used to run Vista x64 for months between update initiated reboots).

I can get Rubycon ZL 1500s.  Not being a wizard with spec sheets yet, and not seeing a ZL spec sheet at the same site you referenced, I'm not sure where to look.  Is the ZL a lower spec model?

Thanks, by the way, for all the attention and time you're spending on this.

One more question:  Given that I'm going to pay a bit more attention to the cooling, should I replace the Rubycon caps that have not obviously failed?

-Noel

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

Never mind, I found:  http://www.techno-st...pacitors/zl.pdf

-Noel

TELVM

TELVM

• PipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Joined 09-February 12

The Ruby ZL are inferior to the Panny FJ for this application  :no:  .

I'd try to get Nichicon HN or, even better, Nichicon HZ.

While we're at it I'd replace all the lytic caps on that mobo, or at least the most mission critical ones (CPUs VRMs, Northbridge VRMs, RAM VRMs). If the comp is ~2005 vintage they must be tired after a decade.

It's my pleasure, I like tinkering with comps  :yes:  .

MrMaguire

MrMaguire

Microsoft has lost the plot

• Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Joined 30-April 14

I agree completely. All of those capacitors have been constantly subjected to the same stress and heat since 2005. My bet would be that the ones that haven't failed already, will fail soon after you get it working again.

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

Ordered Nichicon HZ all around.

Thanks again.

-Noel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users