bsy error - but cant seem to match it up to any suggested answers

Hi Guys,

Ive been trying to sort a HDD error on a seagate 7200.11 for quite some time - came across this site yesterday and have been scrawling through posts since ---- but cant seem to match my issue exactly

Dive model is ST3750330NS --- seems 7200.11 ---- 750Gb drive 

I bought a USb adapter cable for this through ebay with drivers etc and i set it up and can read it through terminal communicator 

I was following the process to sort the AS version of bsy error --- ie isolate the head connector etc --- but then realised that the solution is different for NS

So i moved onto this thread/solution:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/129551-unlocking-terminal-of-seagate-es2-in-bsyled000000cc-state/

The process is to short two pins on the board between messages --- i have two issues with this solution:

1. I dont have the same PCB - this is the one I have

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCB-BOARD-for-Seagate-Barracuda-ES-2-ST3750330NS-100466824-100468979-/281130812880

Not really a problem though as a work around is to lift the board around head connector instead of Shortcircuit

2. Main reason I am stuck and need to look for help --- the solution is " In the terminal you will see every few seconds message LED: 000000CC ... and between messages ctrl+z and shortcircuit"

I dont get this message every few seconds - I get 1 message roughly once a minute and if i press ctrl+z i do not get response. Thus lifting head will not do anything!

What are my options - are there any suggestions? or ideas at to the problem?

I have the comms etc and everything set up correctly 

this is the error msg I get ---- FlashLED - Failure Code:000000cc Failure Address:0024a50d  

perhaps its not bsy error afterall? although i through Code:000000cc meant bsy
- Im on win7 now so victoria will not work

thanks a lot for any help you can give me,

cheers,

Ger.

I don' think that lifting the head (or the motor) contact may work on an ES2 drive.
AFAIK/AFAICR the PCB needs to be detached connected AND the shortcircuit be made.

If it is a BSY or a LBA0 kind of error you can determine by what the BIOS of the machine "sees" (or fails to see).
If it cannot detect the disk at all, it is likely that it is a BSY error (but - with all due respect I don't care what you have handy :w00t: - you may want to procure yourself a suitable OS and run a suitable tool to verify this).
If the disk is seen by the BIOS byt with 0 size it is a LBA0 kind of error.

If you post two CLEAR pictures of the PCB (one of each side of th ePCB) usually it is possible to identify the two pins to be shorted (the READ channel) see also:
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/157329-barracuda-lp-no-not-a-720011-nor-a-720012/
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/157329-barracuda-lp-no-not-a-720011-nor-a-720012/?p=1003759

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Hi Jaclaz,

thanks a lot for the reply,

I'll try and get an XP OS so that i can check veronica......................

I have taken shots of the PCB below --- based on your previous posts i need to short the yellow pins? not too sure....

What procedure do i follow if it is not the same context as the solution for NS ie i get msg every minute not 3-4secs and ctrl+z does nothing while head is powered.

firmware i have is SN04

It seems to be similar issue to  this below ie 1min 8secs but its not clear to me what his solution was

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/138838-bricked-st3500320ns/#entry888039

again thanks for your help on this - much appreciated,

Ger.

post-393591-0-67141900-1401295021_thumb.

post-393591-0-44529000-1401295058_thumb.

some additional info - the error came about as follows:

machine froze - not blue screened - froze on whatever screen i had up

reset pc and the bios would not pick drive up- ie no bootable disk detected

swapped drive into second pc -- as secondary drive with bootable drive in as primary drive 

pc would not boot with this hdd in as secondary - it would not recognise either drive (no bootable disk detected) ie not even the good primary drive 

took secondary out again and then pc boots as usual

next got HD enclosure and put drive inside --- not visible in bios - or in dos using seagate bootable disk checker etc - or using windows based extraction software etc.

thanks, Ger. 

I'll try and get an XP OS so that i can check veronica......................

Not a smart move :no:, Veronica is ugly :w00t: :, her cousin Victoria is much cuter :whistle:, check her instead ;).

I'll check the pictures and let you know.

jaclaz

P.S.: NO you have circled in yellow the WRONG traces.

Follow me please.

You have 4 sets of 5 contacts at the corners of a rectangle at the center of which there is a hole.

Something that can be represented as:

00000        00000        O00000        00000 
The read channel is (at least on the other motherboards we have seen till now) the first and second rightmost pins of the top left group of 5 contacts (when, like in your pictures the connectors are on the bottom), i.e.:

000XX        00000        O00000        00000 
If you check them, they are connected to 12th and 13th pin (from top to bottom) of the largish IC on the left.

I thought that the post here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/157329-barracuda-lp-no-not-a-720011-nor-a-720012/?p=1003759

was clear enough

Edited by jaclaz

Well, the pins circled in that last image are strangely similar to those in the original post by johnmar
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/129551-unlocking-terminal-of-seagate-es2-in-bsyled000000cc-state/

BTW, re-checking the above, it seems that my memory is not as good as it used to be: the PCB needs to be CONNECTED AND the shortcircuit made, I am correcting my previous post.

Here's what I discovered after many attempts in the last few nights.

Terminal of my 2 ES.2 drives was locked (drives were in BSY state) - every 3-4 seconds I received from their terminal message LED: 000000CC....

Standard solution which is widely known for 7200.11 series (ST******AS) doesn't work for locked ES.2 series (ST******NS) !!!

But i've found a way to unlock terminal of my ES.2 drives smile.gif what allows then to repair hd in a standard way (solution from Yura/Okzo).

1. Disk has to be complete (PCB+rest together), NO isolation between the PCB and the rest
2. In the terminal you will see every few seconds message LED: 000000CC ...
3. between these messages you can unlock the terminal by pushing CTRL+Z. It will show a line: "F3 T>" and it will be Unlocked for about 1 second
4. During that 1 second when you see "F3 T>" message but before you receive next "LED:000000CC..." you must short two points shown in the following image (they are known as "read-channel").

You must hold them short about 20-30 or little more seconds.
If you won't see next "LED:000000CC..." and disk will issue few unpleasant sounds then after some time you'll see in the terminal message "Input Command Eror".
Now the disk's terminal is unlocked!
Still holding those 2 pins short issue command /2 and then Z (they're cAsE sEnSiTiVe!).
When disk's engine will stop you will see message "Spin Down Complete" and now you can release the short between 2 pins.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jaclaz,

Sorry for not getting back sooner - have been away travelling

I've installed and ran victoria - and although i do get an error state, im not 100% clear if it relates to the faulty drive or not 

screenshot attached - maybe you will know 

What do you recommend now?

Should i follow this suggestion even though I dont get the message every few seconds - I get 1 message roughly once a minute (and if i press ctrl+z i do not get response)??: http://www.msfn.org/...000000cc-state/

the solution is " In the terminal you will see every few seconds message LED: 000000CC ... and between messages ctrl+z and shortcircuit"

many thanks for your help,

ger.

post-393591-0-62947500-1403627185_thumb.

I am not sure to understand.

There is no need to run Victoria (though it won't do any harm, it simply will provide no additional info nor will help to solve the problem).

The original post 

details a kind of "loop" that produces a 000000CC error message and *somehow* the OP found a way to "break" this loop by short ciruiting two pins.

Other posters provided their reports of slightly different methods (like unscrewing the board near the head contacts, keep it pressed with a finger and then releasing it) and even the behaviour of the Ctrl+z is not the same in all reports.

It is not already an "exact science" with "plain" 7200.11, let alone for ES2's with the additional shorting and or disconnecting.

Now it is entirely possible that your disk is in the same (or similar) loop and that the "hack" above (lifting the PCB) will work, but it is well possible that it is in a different kind of loop (like the OP's one) and that only the "short circuit" will work. :unsure:

The only known fact is that the ones for which that worked did either the short circuit or raised/disconnected the head contacts and they managed to get the prompt and/or to stop the recurring 000000cc error message only after several (many) attempts.

The only thing that you can try is to try (again and again) those approaches, if you prefer we know for sure that one or the other of those two procedures (in some cases and after several attempts) has worked while we are pretty sure that your chances of getting access to the terminal without those procedures are 0 (zero).

jaclaz