Nintendo discontinues Wi-Fi connection service on Wii/DS/DSi

ironman14

Hello,

Recently I have tried playing a Nintendo Wii game, Mario Kart Wii, online, As I was always able to. However, before I could connect, I got a nasty message saying that the Nintendo Wi-Fi connection service has been discontinued.

By looking at this link: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/info/en_na/services-update.jsp , it appears that Nintendo has discontinued all online in-game features for many Wii, DS and DSi games. The following link provides a full list:http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/gameslist/en/games-wifi.jsp .

Personally, I find this somewhat greedy on Nintendo's part. Who here would like if Microsoft blocked out all internet access on Windows 98/95/ME/2000/XP/Vista just because they are older. It would not be nice seeing messages like "Your software is out of date. Please upgrade to a more reliable operating system, like Windows 8.1, to use the internet."

Now getting back to the point, I was wondering if anyone knew of any workarounds. All help is appreciated.

PS: I did not mean to offend Nintendo. I was simply stating my opinion.

Thanks

I agree, I think it's stupid. As for your OS analogy, I gave Windows 7 a fair shot. All it did was crash my web browser numourous times for no reason. Starting the computer up after updates takes forever to get to a logon prompt. It's slower in general. It's not in my book what I would really call reliable. So good old fashion Windows 2000 is back on my machine and I haven't had a single issue yet on things Win7 dropped the ball on all the time. Nintendo however is failing from what I heard and so they're pushing people to get new consoles if they want to continue playing online with friends but honestly, I barely have interest in new game consoles anymore anyway. I don't even know why it is called a console, might just as well call it a computer with a built in controller input.

Edited by Tommy

Nintendo however is failing from what I heard and so they're pushing people to get new consoles

That is very true, and great videos on my insight of why Nintendo, and the recent Nin console failing will be provided below. Viewer be warned though you may not like, or accept the truth.

EDIT: An other video which ties in with the top two and concludes them

Edited by Flasche

Nintendo are to Bullheaded to survive the post internet era, I still don't understand why online gaming scenario need to be run by a manufacturer why cant it be hosted by a person or a peer to peer setup of some kind.

Nintendo are to Bullheaded to survive the post internet era, I still don't understand why online gaming scenario need to be run by a manufacturer why cant it be hosted by a person or a peer to peer setup of some kind.

You mean like xboxconnect

Microsoft have a good chunk of the market so they can get away with more ATM, if Nintendo want to make a comeback they need to "think different" just my opinion mind you. open network gaming, solid media centre, external drive support, social media support, implement something like mame, open source it and let the enthusiasts build on the platform....not gonna happen but what a platform that would be.

social media support,

It has that, but its called the Mii universe of something stupid.

Another nice thing Nintendo can do is DVD playback. :whistle:

Just my opinion mind you. open network gaming, solid media centre, external drive support, social media support, implement something like mame, open source it and let the enthusiasts build on the platform....not gonna happen but what a platform that would be.

That's a PC :w00t: almost.

Edited by Flasche

Just look at how much the OUYA got in its kickstarter (yeah I know its dead now) with Nintendo billions behind it and their catalog of games...and loyal followers (I would switch to Nintendo just because I had a nes and loved it, if the platform was solid LOL) one word unstoppable. I believe they can fix it but not with the current management team...another case of Corporate rot, management teams that do nothing and aren't gamers making decisions.....enthusiasm breeds success...

This makes me wonder about those newish red-colored Wiis that were online only. They were just selling those a year or so ago. Will they now be found in the same piles as WebTV?

With the Homebrew channel you can download linux onto your wii.

I had it backwards! I'm no expert on Nintendo things. That Wii I was thinking of, the Wii Mini (originally sold in Canada) didn't have WiFi at all.

Reading more on this, it renders some games absolutely useless. However, the titles lead me to believe they weren't really popular games. Nintendo has a whole slew of games in an unwanted category less appealing to collectors than sports games! Fortunately, it doesn't make the thing completely useless:

Netflix , Hulu, the Wii Shop Channel, Internet Channel, Pay & Play and YouTube will continue running on the Wii.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/amitchowdhry/2014/02/27/nintendo-to-shut-down-wi-fi-connection-service-for-wii-and-ds-in-may/

Nintendo however is failing from what I heard and so they're pushing people to get new consoles

That is very true, and great videos on my insight of why Nintendo, and the recent Nin console failing will be provided below. Viewer be warned though you may not like, or accept the truth.

EDIT: An other video which ties in with the top two and concludes them

To sum up, most hit video games nowadays are shooting games and mindless sequels to games such as Call of Duty, Assassin's creed and Battlefield. However, Nintendo's games are original and innovative half the time, and gamers don't seem to want that, unfortunately. So, while the CoD developers are getting million$ of $$$$$$, Nintendo is failing. However, they don't need to take it out on us, the people who still use the Wii. Why not just lower the $300 that Nintendo charges for the Wii U, or include a free wii remote & Nunchuck with WiiUs, so people would be inclined to buy a WIIU? And let us play wii online in peace? Infact, I might contact Nintendo and try to get them to promote the WiiU some other way.

As a user of mindless games like COD and Assassins Creed and battlefield I cant tell you that the WII platform is immature at best (online, corting the big titles, controllers), you can't sell your brand forever on past success. If the company was run by enthusiasts and not business people they would be reading forums and keeping there finger on the pulse. Can you say Atari..cough...cough...It makes me mad that they let business people ruin these companies. They did a lot of things right also but that doesn't matter if you cant capture the hearts and minds of the mob.

As a user of mindless games like COD and Assassins Creed and battlefield I cant tell you that the WII platform is immature at best (online, corting the big titles, controllers), you can't sell your brand forever on past success. If the company was run by enthusiasts and not business people they would be reading forums and keeping there finger on the pulse. Can you say Atari..cough...cough...It makes me mad that they let business people ruin these companies. They did a lot of things right also but that doesn't matter if you cant capture the hearts and minds of the mob.

I didn't call the games mindless. I've only ever played the CoD games, so I guess my reply was a bit judgemental. However, my only intent wax to sum up the videos, and that's what I saw in the videos. I'll bet those games are great to some people. I've played CoD: World at war, and I don't mind it, but it's not my favorite. The Xbox/PS3 appear to be better for battle games. However, out of the 3, the Wii is the youngest, so in my mind it should be supported the longest. I think the Wii should get the internet back so it could be used for what it does best (racing, sports), but if gamers want to play battle games, use another platform. I respect your opinion fully. I was just stating mine.