Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

A REALLY USEFUL Win 8.1 Desktop

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,567 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Well, the idea of "no comments" is "try and see" .... :whistle:

Seriously, it is (on my desktop) an increase in its usefulness, as it provides a quick way (and a nice one IMHO since i am among the "lovers") to run a couple command line utilities.

Anyone that has ever played, even for a few minutes Quake would know what it does, and the rest can just try it.

For the lazy ones :ph34r:, there is a quick video here:

Spoiler

jaclaz

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

Thanks for the video.  I now see that it's another way to manage a CMD prompt.  Cute.

I prefer to keep my Taskbar at the top, so a "pop down" application could be a conflict of interest.  Also I often run more than one CMD window at once.

Probably not something I want, but I'm sure others will find it interesting.

Quake...  Wow, that takes me back a few decades.

-Noel

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,567 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
Yep, and it is far from (yet) perfect, but, as an example, it is useful when you simply *need* to run a quick command (let's say a "ping" or an "IPCONFIG /all") as it opens in a "predictable" place on the screen and has this transparency that is less "impacting" visually than other solutions, of course it's use somewhat *implies* that you keep your taskbar at the bottom. jaclaz

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 746 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

I'll throw this on the table :w00t: without comments (and without having *any* idea if it works (or can work) on Windows 8/8.1 :ph34r: ).

It is something for which there is NO "middle way" people can only choose between "hating it" or "loving it":

http://sourceforge.n...ts/winqconsole/

One needs to try it for a few days, I became "addicted" to it :yes: in no more than three days, but of course a lot of people may find it useless :(.

As a matter of fact, since it is going (alas) to become unsupported, if anyone among the programmers would contact the Authors and take the matters in his/her hands it would be a great thing.

jaclaz

Jaclaz, 

After I installed this and did a reboot my Chrome browser would just hang, I did a task kill and removed it, now everything is working back to normal.

~DP

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,567 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Jaclaz, 

After I installed this and did a reboot my Chrome browser would just hang, I did a task kill and removed it, now everything is working back to normal.

~DP

Well, then the whatever version you tried doesn't work on your OS (whatever it is, I presume Win 8.1 64 bit) or conflicts with your Chrome Browser (whatever version it is) :(.
It is also possible that it is not compatible with any of the new updates of Windows 8.1, there is a bug still open for 8.1 but it is of a completely different nature:

http://sourceforge.n...onsole/bugs/10/

Not so casually I posted originally:

I'll throw this on the table :w00t: without comments (and without having *any* idea if it works (or can work) on Windows 8/8.1 :ph34r: ).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 11 June 2014 - 03:38 PM.

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

Re-reading your comments, jaclaz, I came to realize all the issues you've mentioned are important to me as well, but I've solved the need for a Really Useful CMD window via a more conventional approach (a CMD.exe shortcut on the desktop).

CMDIcon.png

• Opens in a predictable place.  Believe me, I do know why this is important.  I'm a very positional thinker.  In my case the icon is always in the same place, down near my recycle bin at the bottom-right of the center monitor - a place that's almost always visible.  And it's the same exact icon I've used since it really WAS an MS-DOS command window.  The CMD window opens in the same place on the screen every time owing to settings made through the window's system menu (basically, unchecking "[ ] Let system position window").

• Useful when you simply *need* to run a quick command.  I mentioned that the icon is virtually always visible down there, because I never do anything full-screen or maximized.  In my case, probably owing to the fact that I'm running my entire system from SSD, a fresh CMD window opens up instantly.  Really, the only delay whatsoever is in the Aero animation, which literally takes a small fraction of a second.  I know that can be disabled to gain that 0.3 second, but I happen to like the animation.

• Transparency that is less "impacting" visually than other solutions.  I'm not personally fond of trying to do actual work on semi-transparent surfaces, but to each his own.  In my case, I prefer dark astronomical backgrounds, so the CMD window (which I run with bright green text on a black background) isn't intrusive at all.  Not anything like the eye-searing Office 365, which gives you a tan when you use it.  I use the 10x18 font, which is very readable, for my CMD window.  I'm glad they've never deprecated it since way back.

Normally my CMD windows open up at 144 columns by 25 rows and don't have the scroll bar at the bottom; this one's been downsized for the screen grab so that everyone doesn't need to look at a huge blank space.

TypicalSFCResult.png

-Noel

Edited by NoelC, 11 June 2014 - 05:04 PM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,567 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Sure :).

The commodity (which however is replaceable to a certain extent by using *any* hotkey program) is the following (in my perverted mind ;)):

1. I am going to use a cmd prompt window
  2. most of the time I have my hands on the keyboard
  3. in a command prompt window one needs to use the keyboard to interact with the system
  4. by pressing a hotkey combo (Alt+\ in my case) I open the dropdown command prompt AND I already have the "focus" on it's command line
  5. then I type in it a command and get the result
  6. then I press the SAME hotkey combo and the cmd prompt "vanishes" (but if I re-press the key combo it gets back still with the result of the previous command)
  7. when the cmd window is "wrapped up" focus (cursor) is returned to the app I was working with before step #4 above

Consider how in all the above I have NOT touched the mouse, nor moved my hands from the keyboard at any time.

jaclaz

truexfan81

truexfan81

• PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Joined 12-October 13

Sure :).

The commodity (which however is replaceable to a certain extent by using *any* hotkey program) is the following (in my perverted mind ;)):

1. I am going to use a cmd prompt window
  2. most of the time I have my hands on the keyboard
  3. in a command prompt window one needs to use the keyboard to interact with the system
  4. by pressing a hotkey combo (Alt+\ in my case) I open the dropdown command prompt AND I already have the "focus" on it's command line
  5. then I type in it a command and get the result
  6. then I press the SAME hotkey combo and the cmd prompt "vanishes" (but if I re-press the key combo it gets back still with the result of the previous command)
  7. when the cmd window is "wrapped up" focus (cursor) is returned to the app I was working with before step #4 above

Consider how in all the above I have NOT touched the mouse, nor moved my hands from the keyboard at any time.

jaclaz

Sounds like a description of linux. ;)

HarryTri

HarryTri

• PipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Joined 17-August 12

Firefox and Addons up to date:
Adobe Flash Player

Adobe Flash Player is implemented in Windows 8 (or IE 10/11, I'm not sure).

:huh: ?

http://helpx.adobe.c...-windows-8.html

Flash Player is integrated with Internet Explorer in Windows 8.
You do not need to install Flash Player.

I always love Windows XP!

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,567 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Yeah, you should tell this to the Unity guys:

http://www.msfn.org/...11#entry1071513

jaclaz

truexfan81

truexfan81

• PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Joined 12-October 13

Yeah, you should tell this to the Unity guys:

http://www.msfn.org/...11#entry1071513

jaclaz

why use unity at all? or a gui for that matter? just hit ctrl+alt+F1 and then login to the tty, problem solved ;)

Dblake1

Dblake1

Gamer/Programmer

• PipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Joined 16-May 07

I don't really have much to contribute to this thread, but I just thought I'd tell you guys about a program I dug up from my archives about 8 months ago. It's a program called "DisplaySet", and is basically a replacement for Windows 7's "advanced appearance options" dialog. Funny thing is, it's from ~2000-2001.

Download it from HERE. Guaranteed virus and malware free.

Windows 95: n. 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,091 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

the link doesn't work.

Posted Image

xpclient

xpclient

XP was my idea. 3rd party apps make NT6 my idea.

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Joined 30-July 05

I uploaded DisplaySet here: https://www.sendspace.com/file/hrjapq and added a manifest to theme it on NT6.

• MagicAndre1981 likes this

Impossible to run NT6 without third party fixes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users