Windows Embedded Standard 2009 General Question

koganstyle

Has anyone got experience with the OS,

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windows-embedded/archive/2014/02/17/what-does-the-end-of-support-of-windows-xp-mean-for-windows-embedded.aspx

excerpt:

Windows Embedded Standard 2009. This product is an updated release of the toolkit and componentized version of Windows XP. It was originally released in 2008; and Extended Support will end on Jan. 8, 2019.

I have a gang of stubborn applications that need a Windows XP environment and I thought this would be the best way to continue having them patched.

Point is what was the question the OP did not ask :w00t: like ;):

1. How do I manage to use on a standard XP the updates intended for Windows Embedded Standard 2009?
  2. If I buy a license for Windows Embeeded Standard 2009 will it be fully compatible with my apps (that run OK under standard XP)?
  3. What is the best way to run a gang of stubborn applications that need a Windows XP environment, while having them patched?

jaclaz

Not really-really.

The wise human being needs to know the answers to all these questions and then decide to completely ignore :w00t: those that are not what he/she wants to hear ;).

jaclaz

I have a gang of stubborn applications that need a Windows XP environment and I thought this would be the best way to continue having them patched.

What is the best way to run a gang of stubborn applications that need a Windows XP environment, while having them patched?

The OP's transverse question seems to me to be equivalent to your unasked question #3, and both seem to me to be improperly phrased, because both the adoption of WES 2009, or the spoofing of it, will, at most, accomplish the OS continuing to be patched... but neither can possibly keep  *"them"*  getting patched!!! However, everybody here (me included) seems to have concluded that the OP really-really meant "the best way to having the OS continue to be patched", so that, if so, question #3 has actually been asked.

The answer to #1 is: by creating a full -- known to be good -- backup before every patch Tuesday, so that if anything goes wrong, recovery ought to be easy. And the identification of the problem patch almost as easy.  :yes:

dubbio.gif

Then again, simply by having the backups might actually prevent problems (magically, of course!) because Murphy's law implies that wherever recovery is easy and painless, problems won't ever actually occur!!!

roll1.gif

I was more exploring options as to the best way to continue running an XP environment with a minimal attack surface, I have had a look and started to download the evaluation. I was just curious wether anyone had worked with it in the past and knew the secret knock to the catacombs of knowledge. I have been following the posts about POSready 2009, I wouldn't just post unless I had searched the forums...:-)

It seems like a deadend but I will give it a look, never know what you might discover on a lark...

Thanks you all for your suggestions

Edited by koganstyle

Not really-really.

The wise human being needs to know the answers to all these questions and then decide to completely ignore :w00t: those that are not what he/she wants to hear ;).

jaclaz

Now that's rich!  I did something along those lines and got flamed off the board.

I check in now and then, but Christ, am I ever glad I left.

What is the best way to run a gang of stubborn applications that need a Windows XP environment, while having them patched?

The OP's transverse question seems to me to be equivalent to your unasked question #3, and both seem to me to be improperly phrased, because both the adoption of WES 2009, or the spoofing of it, will, at most, accomplish the OS continuing to be patched... but neither can possibly keep  *"them"*  getting patched!!! However, everybody here (me included) seems to have concluded that the OP really-really meant "the best way to having the OS continue to be patched", so that, if so, question #3 has actually been asked.

roll1.gif

Holy Crap!  Just answer the poor guy's question.  Talk about semantics.  I cannot believe the flaming BS I took from you idiots, for stuff just like this, but it's OK if you guys do the same crap.  Man, talk about club mentality.

Holy Crap!  Just answer the poor guy's question.  Talk about semantics.  I cannot believe the flaming BS I took from you idiots, for stuff just like this, but it's OK if you guys do the same crap.  Man, talk about club mentality.

We tried to understand what was the actual question, in order to answer (hopefully) to that/those question(s).

What is the issue? :unsure:

The OP has seemingly got the answer he was looking for:

Thanks you all for your suggestions

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

For one who works with words, you surprise me: you ask for plain straightforward answers, which cannot be given most of the time. But I'm happy you remain around. And I think, by now, the questions you originally asked have been answered by the facts, as you can see in many newer threads. And no, nobody ever flamed you out of here. You're just too sensitive to criticism. And you're not alone, unfortunately. Did you perchance observe that no one (the OP included) in this thread, but you, got incensed by any post on the thread? BTW, you took my rolling emoticon out of context: it belonged exclusively to the remark about magical thinking.

LOL I just wanted to know if anyone had used it....it looks like no ones has so I thought case closed...I wasn't looking for anyone to read between the lines, just a simple question.....but I appreciate suggestions and idea's.