Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Monitor not coming on after waking PC

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

doveman

doveman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

So my brother's started having this problem, whereby when he wakes his PC, the monitor won't come on and he has to hard reboot. It's only started doing it recently as far as I'm aware (I'm sure he would have mentioned it otherwise) and it's been working OK since I built it for him until now. Certainly he won't have updated the graphics driver (onboard HD4250 on the Asrock board, as I recall) by himself. It seems to quite random whether the monitor will wake or not as well.

He's up to date with Windows Updates except for IE11, which won't install properly and just ends up restoring/undoing the Update after a couple of reboots but that's another problem.

He's also finding his PC is on in the mornings after putting it into standby before going to bed but that's yet another issue (I get the impression that when this happens he is generally able to wake the monitor).

Are there any files I can gather with a batch file that he can run after hard rebooting and then e-mail me to me, which will show what the problem is? I can remote into his PC to run diagnostics but obviously can't see what's happening with his monitor when puts the PC into standby.

I actually had the same problem some time ago with my own PC but I can't recall if I managed to fix it or just gave up and reinstalled Windows, which I really want to try and avoid this time.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Ponch

Ponch

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,244 posts

There's a sticky for that. Maybe you can get info from there.

doveman

doveman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Where might that be?

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,711 posts

Donator

It is this one:

http://www.msfn.org/...yresume-issues/

MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3.x | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

doveman

doveman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

It is this one:
http://www.msfn.org/...yresume-issues/

Ah, well I did post there originally but Andre told me it wasn't the right place:
http://www.msfn.org/...48#entry1081619

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,711 posts

Donator

Ok if the trace came back clean, then we can presume (for now) it isn't related to that thread. When the PC resumes but the display still appears to sleep, try either of these:

1. press caps lock key. See if the light turns on. If there is no light for caps lock, try another one like Number lock.

2. Disconnect the monitor from the video port and see if the test screen comes on.

Of course, reconnect the monitor.

My first thought is that the video controller is not resuming on wake. You can try another monitor, or connect the monitor to a different port if the board has multiple (vga/dvi). You can put in a video card and see if the issue persists. If it does not, then it is not a fix!

Check event viewer under system for any "video controller failed to respond" or related messages.

msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

Ponch

Ponch

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,244 posts
I can remote into his PC to run diagnostics but obviously can't see what's happening with his monitor when puts the PC into standby.

When it happens, can you get into the machine remotely ? Or is it a case of fans and lights coming back on but no real PC activity ?

doveman

doveman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Ok if the trace came back clean, then we can presume (for now) it isn't related to that thread. When the PC resumes but the display still appears to sleep, try either of these:

1. press caps lock key. See if the light turns on. If there is no light for caps lock, try another one like Number lock.
2. Disconnect the monitor from the video port and see if the test screen comes on.

Of course, reconnect the monitor.

Thanks, I'll get him to try those.

My first thought is that the video controller is not resuming on wake. You can try another monitor, or connect the monitor to a different port if the board has multiple (vga/dvi). You can put in a video card and see if the issue persists. If it does not, then it is not a fix!

Unfortunately, he only has one monitor and is using onboard GPU, which only has one VGA to connect to his VGA monitor and doesn't have a video card to put in. As I say, it was working fine until recently and I had the same problem myself a while back, which I probably fixed by reinstalling Windows, certainly I didn't change my hardware.

Check event viewer under system for any "video controller failed to respond" or related messages.

I did have a look the other day but I'll check again next time.

doveman

doveman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

I can remote into his PC to run diagnostics but obviously can't see what's happening with his monitor when puts the PC into standby.

When it happens, can you get into the machine remotely ? Or is it a case of fans and lights coming back on but no real PC activity ?

I haven't tried yet, as he's never phoned me when it's just happened (and I might not be available even if he did) but I'll tell him to try calling me next time so that I can try remoting in. I guess even if just the display driver has crashed though, that could take the whole system down?

doveman

doveman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
I spoke to my brother the other day and he said he hadn't had this problem for a while but today he sent me an e-mail saying that it's just happened again, so I've told him to check the keyboard lights next time and I'll get TeamViewer setup so that I can remote in if necessary. He also sent me the log I told him to create, which shows his PC is being woken overnight by

Owner: [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files (x86)\EaseUS\Todo Backup\bin\Agent.exe (EaseUS Agent)

I've got EaseUS setup to backup his data files daily, so I guess it's waking to run that but it should go back to sleep automatically afterwards and isn't doing so for some reason, so I'll have to check if the auto sleep is working at all and maybe disable EaseUS from running automatically and tell him to do manual backups but that will be a bit of a pain. I might have it scheduled to run overnight when he's not using the PC though, so maybe if I set it to run during the day I can minimise the problem.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,711 posts

Donator

Or maybe disable sleep? :unsure:

msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

doveman

doveman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Or maybe disable sleep? :unsure:

He doesn't really want to leave the PC on all the time though. I just checked when his backup files are being made and it's scheduled to run at 12:00 they're all around 12:00 (some around 16:58, so obviously the PC was off at 12:00 on those runs), so I have no idea why Agent.exe would be waking his PC in the middle of the night but I can't disable the Agent service as then the backups won't run and it's not even possible to open the EaseUS GUI.

He had the sleep time set to 2 hours because he had a problem with it going to sleep whilst watching videos with his Raspberry Pi/XBMC. I've got MediaPortal running on the PC with the PowerScheduler plugin set to prevent sleep if there's network activity over 50KB/s, (TVservice.exe wasn't running for some reason, even though it's set to Automatic, so I've set all three failure states to 'Restart', which will hopefully keep it up) and I've changed the sleep time to 20mins although it won't help if he has to pause it for longer than 20mins. There's a ping option in PowerScheduler which might work to keep it from going to sleep whilst the RPi is on but that means turning the RPi off everytime you want the PC to go to sleep, so that's not really a solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN