Hyper-V: high impact on video performance despite SLAT being supported

Soukyuu

So according to this, running Hyper-V on a non-SLAT compatible CPU will result in a big video performance degradation. Checking my CPU with systeminfo displays

Hyper-V Requirements:      VM Monitor Mode Extensions: Yes                           Virtualization Enabled In Firmware: Yes                           Second Level Address Translation: Yes                           Data Execution Prevention Available: Yes

Still, once I enable Hyper-V, I am unable to play any 1080p videos using madvr. Any idea what else the reason for this huge input might be? Is the reason stated on wikipedia wrong? Or is my GPU just so old that the impact is high enough even though my CPU has SLAT?

edit: the board ate half of my post on posting the thread -_-

Edited by Soukyuu

I don't know what you do with Hyper-V but have you considered VMware?

I don't have any experience with Hyper-V, as I used VMware long before Hyper-V became available and it still does what I need.  I have been keeping up with all their releases.

The Hyper-V feature of Win 8.1 has to absent for VMware to work.  Thus you get best performance on your host system, with full virtual machine capability as needed.

NoHyperV.png

Just a thought.

-Noel

I have recently set up visual studio to tinker around with windows phone 8.1, it seems hyper-V is needed for the emulator to work. For now I have disabled it and am going to enable it when needed. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I guess we might need to temper *somewhere else* :whistle:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/172160-why-does-win-87-suck-so-much/

adding something like "it is vital to disable one of the most prominent features of Windows 8/8.1 in order to use instead of it (which sucks) a third party tool that actually works"

:unsure:

jaclaz

You seem to look for any excuse to slam Windows 8, jaclaz.  Fine, but I don't believe Hyper-V is even enabled by default.  I didn't have to specifically disable it.

And the issue's already been answered.  If you need rockin' performance from the latest features, which require more powerful hardware to run, you have to get more powerful hardware.  It's really no different than if someone said, "I need 6 GB of address space, but I only have a 32 bit system". 

Horses for courses.

People might want to develop for Windows Phone because it's a realm within which if you strike just the right chord you might be able to sell a bunch of copies of an App and (after Microsoft takes their 30%+ cut) you might make some money.  It's too bad Microsoft requires you to enable a performance-robbing option to do so, but...  There's always more powerful hardware available.  I'm betting somewhere there's a computer that would render video nicely WITH Hyper-V enabled.  It takes money to make money...

-Noel