Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Advice on a 64bit system upgrade

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,841 posts

Donator

You used to have an nVidia GeForce 7950GT AGP on the X5DAE. You didn't tell us much about your new graphics card, apart from "it is a completely different graphics card now" (and it ought to be so, since the X7DAL-E cannot accept an AGP card for lack of a proper connector for it)... what's it? Is it another nVidia card? And what drivers are you using right now? After we know that, we may decide about upgrading graphics drivers or not.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 804 posts

The new card is another ATI/AMD Radeon based card, an Asus EAH5450, based on Radeon HD5450.

I'm using the driver that came with it, the 2D driver version 6.14.10.7279.

The Catalyst version doesn't seem to be actually quoted anywhere any more.

I've now been noticing what may well be other symptoms of the same problem.

When I open a video in the QuickTime player, the player always loads onto the screen OK, but if I try to play the video file or move the window, it immediately shuts down! Trying again always seems to then work OK.

Also my e-mail program (Eudora 7) which has never had any problems in the past is occasionally now crashing when I try to open a message, with "Eudora.exe caused fault #c0000005 in gdiplus.dll".

Something is definitely not happy!

I should add that my graphics settings, resolution, colour depth, and refresh rate, are all exactly the same as they were before the upgrade.

:)

EDIT:

Well, touching wood, I think it may now be OK!

:thumbup

I uninstalled the graphics driver, and this time did a rather more thorough system cleaning job than I did the first time, and installed the latest version from AMD. I was surprised to find that the latest version offered by Asus on their site was older than the version on the CD that came with the board! The latest version on the AMD site is actually the same driver version as on the CD, but the Catalyst Control Center and HDMI Audio driver is newer. It's now identified as Catalyst 14.4.

The Adobe programs now load OK, and I'm keeping an eye out for any other problems, but hopefully it's now sorted.

Edited by Dave-H, 17 August 2014 - 11:57 AM.

Dual boot Windows 98SE SP2.1a and Windows XP Professional SP3.
Dual 3.2GHz Xeons with 4GB RAM. ATI Radeon X850 Graphics 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 804 posts

Hi again, sorry it's been a while.

I've been trying to find why one of my hard drives, which is in an external enclosure, wasn't making a good data connection with the motherboard.

To cut a long story short, it looks as if there's a hardware problem in the enclosure, so nothing to do with the board thank goodness!

I tried running the system with the cover on for the first time, and was horrified to find that almost immediately the fans running at double their usual speed.

It sounded like it was going to take off. It was quite frightening and sounded like there was going to be physical damage if I didn't switch it off quick!

I've ordered a couple of new fans, which are four pin ones that should talk to the motherboard properly. The processor heatsinks already have that, but the two old fans were only three pin.

I hope they do the trick to keep it cool enough. I'm still getting overheats sometimes but only ever on the PCEI Agent 1 monitor.

PECI Agent 2 is always showing low, which is rather strange. PECI 1 is low unless I ask the system to do any real work, at which point it goes to medium, and occasionally to high which triggers the alarm. I found also that when the system's working hard the RAM chips become incredibly hot, you can't touch them, is that normal?!

I don't really understand the low/medium/high PECI system, I will need to do more research on it.

I much preferred the system on the old board that just told you exactly what actual temperature the processors were running at!

Dual boot Windows 98SE SP2.1a and Windows XP Professional SP3.
Dual 3.2GHz Xeons with 4GB RAM. ATI Radeon X850 Graphics 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN