WinPE does not recognize Harddrive

Usererror

Hi guys, this is my first post here and i was really hoping it would give me results. So. I need to capture a custom image on a machine and figured i would do this simply with a USB stick with enough memory and winpe/imagex. I have no problems booting from the USB but I can't seem to find the harddrive of the host computer. It is a RAID harddrive but I made sure to install the Intel RAID drivers on my winpe image. (Still didn't help) I used DISKPART and command "list vol" and command "list disk" to no avail. It shows the thumb drive, the dvd-rom drive (2 of them actually) and nothing else. I used the instructions from this webpage http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2349-guide-adding-drivers-to-a-custom-winpe-30/ in order to install the drivers to my winpe image. Please and thanks in advance.

The default Windows 7 PE explorer only shows your HD units. Under this OS you may nevertheless see any other device using any other explorer, i.e. the freeware FreeCommander or JustManager.

HTH

The default Windows 7 PE explorer only shows your HD units. Under this OS you may nevertheless see any other device using any other explorer, i.e. the freeware FreeCommander or JustManager.

HTH

I am trying to view the HD on the machine. Also to clarify, I'm trying to capture the image using imagex. i tried viewing ALL drive letters (a: to z: and only c: d: and e: are showing. None of them are the HD i need to capture) I tried this on a non RAID machine and I had no problem viewing the 286GB HD

??? Do you mean RAID or do you mean SATA? Raid drivers won't help for accessing SATA drives. Maybe you're confusing terminology? SATA is a HDD (BIOS can -usually be set to either AHCI/SATA -or- IDE/PATA) and RAID is a Function of utilizing (any typ) HDD, like SCSI-RAID. You have to have TWO or more HDD's in such a hardware scenario -and- have the BIOS set to SATA-RAID (that's SATA-mode PLUS utilizing RAID -Functions-).

Please clarify - there IS a difference.

HTH

It is most likely that the INF you injected into your image does not support the actual hardware. In my own usage, I will verify what the storage controller HwID is before attempting to add drivers. There are multiple ways to do this:

1. Install an OS on it and look in Device Manager

2. Boot to DOS and run PCISCAN. If the device does not show up or is virtual then...

3. Boot with Make_PE3 (or alternatively a ChrisR project) and use the Device Manager.

Verify the HwID in the INF, inject the INF.

I do believe, that WinPE will let you run drvload on a storage driver without requiring a reboot. You can test your drivers using drvload and then use diskpart to list disk to verify you have found the correct driver.

It is most likely that the INF you injected into your image does not support the actual hardware. In my own usage, I will verify what the storage controller HwID is before attempting to add drivers. There are multiple ways to do this:

1. Install an OS on it and look in Device Manager

2. Boot to DOS and run PCISCAN. If the device does not show up or is virtual then...

3. Boot with Make_PE3 (or alternatively a ChrisR project) and use the Device Manager.

Verify the HwID in the INF, inject the INF.

I do believe, that WinPE will let you run drvload on a storage driver without requiring a reboot. You can test your drivers using drvload and then use diskpart to list disk to verify you have found the correct driver.

Thanks so much! Yeah, I ended up calling Dell and it turns out I WAS injecting the wrong drivers to winpe. Can't believe it was that simple but I'm glad it got fixed. I just captured the image today so all is well. Thanks again for the help guys.