The best third-party parental control

Like in the topic I would like to ask all parents what parental control software do you use? I'm looking for something easy to use and relatively cheap. There so many of them that I would like to see some opinions.

Thanks in advance for any opinions

Regards

jaclaz, u're right I'm a born altruist.  I could help so i did it. I don't want to write about something that I do not have idea about. In this matter I could give suggestion and that's all....

jaclaz, u're right I'm a born altruist.  I could help so i did it. I don't want to write about something that I do not have idea about. In this matter I could give suggestion and that's all....

Well, this should prove that you are "human" :thumbup:.

You see, whenever a user at his/her first post replies to a "vague" question like the one OP asked, to recommend a Commercial piece of software, there is always a (high) probability that it is either Spam :ph34r: or Astroturfing :w00t: of some kind .

It's a bit of time since there is this scheme where a new user posts a question and a few days later another user (also at his/her first post) replies recommending product x or product y.

While most of this kind of posts/threads are deleted/removed, form time to time some are kept. 

Example:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170538-what-is-exact-way-for-how-to-convert-pst-to-nsf/

jaclaz

Cheapest software of all is Open DNS. Also, siting the computer for the kids' use in a public place within the family environment will be better than any number of Net Narnies or Spies.

Some people, myself included, would suggest that the home computer is not the only one your child will have an opportunity to access "adult" or disturbing material on. Whaddya' do about that?

Is blocking software the right approach at all? Could you defeat such software, or know someone who knows a way to defeat it (a handy, online message board, for example)? I'm certain I could find a way if I were determined enough.

This brings up the less compact alternative (than a 'pay-fee, click-setup' software approach) of finding time for discussions with your child, sharing and listening to them, educating yourself and them about online risks.

Our Internet access is increasingly being censored/monitored by our governments. Training your children to accept restrictions imposed from above at an early age steps into the same pattern.

So - surprisingly - the best parenting software is still the good ol' presence of a real parent and child education within the family. :yes:

As a side note, IF a parent actually needs to ask about how to prevent a child from accessing some internet sites, you can be sure that the child will manage to workaround that provision, one way or the other.

The good thing :yes: about implementing some form of software control is that the kid will learn something in his/her attempts to bypass this control, so, in a way, using such a software - while not preventing but only at the most delaying the access to the "forbidden" sites - constitutes a way to increase the computer related knowledge of the yute(s), much more than any Computer Laboratory at school will be able to do.

jaclaz 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...