The upcoming new tool for Win 7/8/+ : My suggested name: nLiteX

Ultimist

Kelsenellenelvian, yes, that's the reason why I didn't already go with it. Then on the other side it "Enlights Operating System", if it describes activity nLite -> OS then it makes sense.

For example if someone says WinLite or wLite, that doesn't mean it itself is Windows Lite, it makes Windows Lite.
Kinda tricky.

Ponch, :). Weirdly it looks familiar, I mean as a joke suggestion. But after searching, can't confirm it, maybe it was on some IM. Aaanyway...

ricktendo, thx. I wasn't too clear but let's not bind the name to any specific name, be it Windows version (which was mentioned before, and you did not break), or format (WIM).

Because names and support might change, for example there is that ESX instead of WIM and so on.
And it's too technical. Goal is not about editing WIM, it's about editing Windows.

Ok, I hope I convinced myself. Ideas are all good, just saying my piece.

"w" still remains for Windows, so it goes into the cloud of ideas.

aviv00, "super" would be kinda egotistical from my side. Maybe uber-nLite...not.

So my thinking so far is:

best would be to have nLite in the name, and not have any specific version or technology in the name.

So that leaves us with just few letters to not be too long.

I still like nLiteX the most, mainly because it indicates 7-8-9-10(X) and X may mean any version.

Second is nLiteOS, due to the website name, so that people can just type name.com and it's there.

But... I am reluctant on that one due to the reasons already mentioned.

Keep them coming, I'll also reread in a few days and may change my mind.

Because names and support might change, for example there is that ESX instead of WIM and so on.

nLiteSEX :lol: (Seven Eight X)

Not kidding this time, but nLiteNES (Nine Eight Seven) is kinda cool, sounds like a real word and should last a few years. Until Ten comes out, then just add the X or a T

nLiteNEXT sounds nice too

Edited by ricktendo

first if you can do not change name keep it nlite because the name is famous already :)

so if user want add xp source to new version nlite open web page to download xp version

so no need to change name :)

and if it have free and pro it become nlite Free after registration become nlite Pro

nliteos not bad because its same as domain

then if you dont want above, WLite= Windows Lite because it all about Windows

first if you can do not change name keep it nlite because the name is famous already :) so if user want add xp source to new version nlite open web page to download xp version so no need to change name :) and if it have free and pro it become nlite Free after registration become nlite Pro nliteos not bad because its same as domain then if you dont want above, WLite= Windows Lite because it all about Windows

You are right :yes:

What about nlite 2 (The Revenge) ? :unsure:

jaclaz

You need a marketing friendly name, nLite doesn't say anything to a corporate by-passer.

Why keep the lite name formating when it's a whole new product with a whole new business model?

It doesn't even fit, it's not light as in less calories when you speed up and debloat the system...

Whatever nuhi chooses for the name, we need to accept it and move on. Remember that whatever the name, it still does what we want, which is to make Windows slim & trim.

I still like nLiteX the best, or nLite+

Ponch, nLite NG is ok, not sold on it just yet.

jaclaz, lol, keep them coming.

nLite 2, yeah almost there, as commented above it indicates XP support as v2 should represent extra features on top of v1.

Also imagine a changelog: nLite 2 v1.0.1 changes. Looks cluttered to me.

Unless I tie version number to the name. For example nLite 2 for v2+, then nLite 3... hm, need to think about that, because of the first notion. People then would wonder if v2 didn't have what v1 had, does v3 have what v2 had.

ricktendo, :)

nLite NES(T), NEXT, not bad, little on the long side.

GrofLuigi, Tripredacus, :)

hessam, very interesting idea. Regardless of the name you just increased my future todo list, pointing to the old nLite website after selecting XP source.

Regarding the name, you can't really change tool's name just because a license was changed. There needs to be a unique identifiable tool's name.

Imagine someone searches for nLite Pro, and all he finds is nLite Free. Then he needs to research further to learn that it can be upgraded and it switches the name. While having one tool, which has both licenses transparently, is much cleaner, at least from my perspective.

Then another option could be to rename the old nLite to nLite XP or something like that, and make the new one just nLite.

Hm... but as a user who did not see that news, I would be confused, and never saw something like it before.

wLite, yeah it is ok, like continuation from nLite - vLite - wLite. But still nLiteX is better to me, why... because name nLite is known and it sounds so nice Enlight X(put windows version here) :)

petrus, name nLite is known amongst many administrators, and they are those who advise their bosses on what productivity tools to buy for the company.

And basically it is (gonna be) very similar to nLite, just for newer Windows with different internals, so why not name it similarly, regardless what it was.

(Windows) Lite is used to describe trimmed Windows from 98Lite days as far as I know, and I hear/read the general notion "this software is lighter" on a weekly basis, indicating smaller size or less functionality, among other things.

Even if I do not focus on the lite aspect of it, we still have the en-light word. It illuminates various Windows options, making the whole process lite as a feather. ;)

Ultimist, were you just protecting your nLiteX idea? Thanks for the support, two of us seem to be the only ones to like it, hehe.

Edited by nuhi

>name nLite is known amongst many administrators, and they are those who advise their bosses on what productivity tools to buy for the company

I vote for wLite then... to have name continuity, nLite was for XP, vLite for Vista and wLite is up and above, up and atom!

Or even have cheaper, separate fine tuned releases, 7Lite for Windows 7, 8Lite for Windows 8/8.1...

Edited by petrus