Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

The upcoming new tool for Win 7/8/+ : My suggested name: nLiteX

- - - - - nlite vlite windows 7 windows 7 x64 windows 8 windows 8.1 optimize shrink tweak nlitex

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

nuhi

nuhi

nLite & vLite human.dll

• Developer
  • 4,342 posts

Ponch, nLite NG is ok, not sold on it just yet.

jaclaz, lol, keep them coming.

nLite 2, yeah almost there, as commented above it indicates XP support as v2 should represent extra features on top of v1.

Also imagine a changelog: nLite 2 v1.0.1 changes. Looks cluttered to me.

Unless I tie version number to the name. For example nLite 2 for v2+, then nLite 3... hm, need to think about that, because of the first notion. People then would wonder if v2 didn't have what v1 had, does v3 have what v2 had.

ricktendo, :)

nLite NES(T), NEXT, not bad, little on the long side.

GrofLuigi, Tripredacus, :)

hessam, very interesting idea. Regardless of the name you just increased my future todo list, pointing to the old nLite website after selecting XP source.

Regarding the name, you can't really change tool's name just because a license was changed. There needs to be a unique identifiable tool's name.

Imagine someone searches for nLite Pro, and all he finds is nLite Free. Then he needs to research further to learn that it can be upgraded and it switches the name. While having one tool, which has both licenses transparently, is much cleaner, at least from my perspective.

Then another option could be to rename the old nLite to nLite XP or something like that, and make the new one just nLite.

Hm... but as a user who did not see that news, I would be confused, and never saw something like it before.

wLite, yeah it is ok, like continuation from nLite - vLite - wLite. But still nLiteX is better to me, why... because name nLite is known and it sounds so nice Enlight X(put windows version here) :)

petrus, name nLite is known amongst many administrators, and they are those who advise their bosses on what productivity tools to buy for the company.

And basically it is (gonna be) very similar to nLite, just for newer Windows with different internals, so why not name it similarly, regardless what it was.

(Windows) Lite is used to describe trimmed Windows from 98Lite days as far as I know, and I hear/read the general notion "this software is lighter" on a weekly basis, indicating smaller size or less functionality, among other things.

Even if I do not focus on the lite aspect of it, we still have the en-light word. It illuminates various Windows options, making the whole process lite as a feather. ;)

Ultimist, were you just protecting your nLiteX idea? Thanks for the support, two of us seem to be the only ones to like it, hehe.

Edited by nuhi, Yesterday, 02:19 AM.

http://www.nliteos.com | http://www.vlite.net
Remove components and customize Windows

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Super Moderator
  • 5,788 posts

Donator

nLiteRx  (mayber read "nLite Redux"...) or nLite (see ).

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,059 posts

nLiteRx  (mayber read "nLite Redux"...) or nLite (see ).

Sure :), it sounds good as an ad:

nLite℞, what PC doctors prescribe!

:lol:

:thumbup:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, Yesterday, 08:32 AM.

petrus

petrus

• 22 posts

>name nLite is known amongst many administrators, and they are those who advise their bosses on what productivity tools to buy for the company

I vote for wLite then... to have name continuity, nLite was for XP, vLite for Vista and wLite is up and above, up and atom!

Or even have cheaper, separate fine tuned releases, 7Lite for Windows 7, 8Lite for Windows 8/8.1...

Edited by petrus, Today, 04:34 AM.

MerijnB

MerijnB

• 21 posts

wLite had also come across my mind before I read it here, +1! :)

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,706 posts

Donator

wLite had also come across my mind before I read it here, +1! :)

Whatever is chosen, verify it doesn't already exist. wLite.exe is a thing already, some webcam software.
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3.x | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

nuhi

nuhi

nLite & vLite human.dll

• Developer
  • 4,342 posts

dencorso, jaclaz, :) neeext.

petrus, yeah wLite is not bad, seems like it is now down to nLiteX and wLite.

Tripredacus, yes, good point.

Btw codename was Windee :)

http://www.nliteos.com | http://www.vlite.net
Remove components and customize Windows

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,059 posts

Well, you have to consider also the sound it makes when read aloud by an English speaker.

nliteX may sound too similar to "in latex" :ph34r:

doubleulite could be better as it might sound more like "double your light" ;)

jaclaz

petrus

petrus

• 22 posts

What about "nLite789"?

And then only with the release of Windows 10 in half a decade you go with nLiteX (X stands for 10 in Roman numerals).

Edited by petrus, Today, 11:04 AM.

boooggy

boooggy

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Btw codename was Windee :)

Cookie!!!! :w00t:

Edited by boooggy, Today, 02:09 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nlite, vlite, windows 7, windows 7 x64, windows 8, windows 8.1, optimize, shrink, tweak, nlitex

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

boooggy

How to remove advertisement from MSFN