XP 64-bit installaton onto an USB3-Stick

Hardware: Akoya MD99330 Netbook, 64-bit, AMD A4-1200 APU, 2GB RAM ; 16GB USB3-Stick; 2GB USB2-Stick; 8GB SD-Karte; 500GB Externe Festplatte, USB-Mouse.

Software: Win XP 64-bit; SATA-Treiber, Gerätetreiber und Update-Packs von 5eraph.

Some tool-programs like: YUMI; EASY2BOOT; Rufus; EasyBCD; nLite; Partition Wizard; etc.

How to create a bootable OS XP 64-bit USB3-STICK?

(My trouble starts with the bootloader in the second bootstep!)  

The USB3-Stick was in a USB2-slott during the setup. I tryed some Linux-distributions with it. - They boot! 

The problems start at the 2nd bootstep, when the bootloader on the origin-stick can't be found - or let's sayit get confused

with the other bootloader on the aim-stick. Seems like there are written some datas during the 1st bootstep on the origin-stick. 

Hardware: Akoya MD99330 Netbook, 64-bit, AMD A4-1200 APU, 2GB RAM ; 16GB USB3-Stick; 2GB USB2-Stick; 8GB SD-Karte; 500GB Externe Festplatte, USB-Mouse.

Software: Win XP 64-bit; SATA-Treiber, Gerätetreiber und Update-Packs von 5eraph.
Some tool-programs like: YUMI; EASY2BOOT; Rufus; EasyBCD; nLite; Partition Wizard; etc.

How to create a bootable OS XP 64-bit USB3-STICK?
(My trouble starts with the bootloader in the second bootstep!)  

With all due respect :), the info you provided is not much useful for troubleshooting, you listed several different tools related to USB booting.

WHICH tool did you use to "prepare" (partition/format/etc.) the USB stick?

HOW EXACTLY did you prepare the stick?

WHICH EXACT (make/model) is the "16GB USB3-Stick" you used?Is it a "Fixed" or "Removable" device?[1]

WHAT EXACT error/issue are you having? (please describe what you see happening, as opposed to the "result", like "the bootloader on the origin-stick can't be found - or let's sayit get confused with the other bootloader on the aim-stick. Seems like there are written some datas during the 1st bootstep on the origin-stick")

Standard litany, please:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/problem-report-standard-litany.html

You have to understand how even the mere process of writing down an accurate description of your actions and their results may help in pinpointing the cause of the issue.

jaclaz

[1] This may be relevant as while - say - 99.99% of USB 2 sticks are set in the factory as "Removable" a large number of USB 3 sticks may have been set in factory as "Fixed" devices (generally the fastest ones), and this may affect the booting process.

jaclaz is MSFN's resident expert on all things bootable. Heed his advice. He puts boot to a$$ here quite frequently.

Possibly NSFW:

Use latest WinSetupFromUSB from my signature, prepare only the disk you need Windows installed onto with the Setup files, selecting the advanced option "Prepare Windows 2000/XP/2003 to be installed on USB", details in the FAQ page there.

Disconnect all other disks and install onto the same one you are booting from without formatting it during setup. Use USB2 ports only.

This was tested with 32 bit XP, can't recall 64 bit tests, been a while.

Let us know how it goes.

WOW, a lot of responds!    :w00t:

@5eraph:

I tried it many times with WinSetupFromUSB. ( !!!  an old version  !!! )

@jaclaz:

I tried many tools like WinSetupFromUSB, Yumi, und the others in the list above and XP2USB, XBOOT, Wintoflash, Sardu...

I prepared the stick with MBR and Grub4DOS bootloader - I have a 18point tutorial for WinSetupFromUSB

... Run WinSetup. Select correct USB drive. (The drive must be 1GB or bigger) Click Bootice. Process MBR and select GRUB4DOS. Install/Config. close. Click Process PBR. Select NTLDR boot record. Install/Config. Close. Exit. In WinSetup, check Windows 2000/XP/2003 Setup. Browse for the XP setup folder. Click GO. After finished, exit program...

So, I did so!

The 16GB Stick is removeable and called "Qilive Q 8908"

I tryed to make it "fixed" or HDD - but I dont know how? - I used: HPUSBDisk-program - It makes no sence to just teach my Win8 to recognize the stick for HDD.

The exact error/issus is, that at the end of the 1st bootstep it sayes "restarting computer..." But even after 30min it is still the same screen. - So I turn off by reset the computer - and after restarting there is a black screen with 5 lines of the same kryptic short term. The only chance is to reset it again. By trying to catch the bootloader from the menu - or from the UEFI - it reports that some ... .dll-file is missing. -> return to the select menu for the drive.

Well - with the "litany" It get lost in translation with my bad english and I am not really an expert for IT, I am a pure/poor autodidact-id***.  And I can't make screenshots from the errors.  

@5eraph:

I don't watch TV anymore. This box just lie on me. I have no sence for this. - Maybe that's funny: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/07/10/hooverman.gif  - I don't know?

@ Ilko_t:

Thanks for that link. I will study it this evening - But I have seen that I had version 1.0 beta 7 instead of 1.4 !!!

OK guys, I will try it next time that way:     http://www.winsetupfromusb.com/downloads/

Then I will recognize the exact error by makeing notices or "cellphone-screenshots".

Thanks for reading my terrible english and be indilgent with my half knowledge.            :thumbup

@ Ilko_t:

Thanks for that link. I will study it this evening - But I have seen that I had version 1.0 beta 7 instead of 1.4 !!!

You have to understand how even the mere process of writing down an accurate description of your actions and their results may help in pinpointing the cause of the issue.

Q.E.D. :yes:

Thanks for reading my terrible english and be indilgent with my half knowledge.            :thumbup

Don't worry too much :), your English doesn't seem to me that much bad (said by an Italian) , and I suspect that also Ilko_t (who is from Bulgaria) won't protest much about it ;).

For the scope of installing a XP on it, possibly a "Fixed" disk device would give some advantages, but most probably these can worked around adding Diskmod to the actual installed OS:

http://reboot.pro/topic/9461-page-file-in-usb-hard-disk/

(in theory it should work on XP 64 bit, but of course it needs to be tested)

But anyway, let's first see how the new attempt with latest WinSetupFromUSB goes, and then we will see if the above is *needed* (or *desirable*) and, if it doesn't work, we may talk of "flipping the bit" on the "Removable" device to set it as "FIxed" (if we can identify the stick's controller and find the relevant Manufacturer's Tool).

jaclaz

Testdriver, you need to make sure the advanced option mentioned above is selected when preparing the USB disk. It was introduced in beta8 and present in all later versions.

In addition- you do need to disconnect all other disks, internal, external, whatever, but the prepared disk which would be also a target disk.

Tänks jaclaz.

@ilko_t: Copy! "advanced option is mentioned"

But I can't disconect the internal disks. Imposible. I will not open the netbook for this! Thats to much risk.

"..., but the prepared disk which would be also a target disk. "

Once I tried to to install first from the same USB and do the 2nd bootstep from the other USB.

Please can you explain this a bit better? There are anyway 2 USBs conected.

- Btw: I forgot to tell that I have a SD-card in a internal PCI-Bus cardreader. Unbootable. But I will disconect next time.

What I haven't understood until now is: Why 2 bootsteps?

Isn't it possible to do all this with a virtual machine?

Or bypass the internal HDD?

Seems like some of your guys in here developed this winsetupforusb. I am not a real programmer, but can there be

some option "Install portable on [ H:\.... ] in version winsetupforusb 1.5 ? - just asking. - For the future.

Edited by Testdriver

But I can't disconect the internal disks.

You can try to disable them in BIOS, or switch them to SATA mode and make sure your source does not have such driver.

Setup cannot decide properly where to install boot files and check and overwrite MBR and bootsectors if needed, if other disks are present. Your best bet is to not let installer see any other disks. Linux installer typically would ask you where to put the bootloader and such, but Windows decides for you, and it gets confused, especially in a non typical for it scenario.

What I haven't understood until now is: Why 2 bootsteps?

What do you mean? In all recent versions, from the 4-5 years, there is only one boot from USB needed when using WinSetupFromUSB. The second boot from USB is optional, in case an user needs unattended installation and computer is set to boot from USB, so it automatically selects the second step and continues. Whether you boot from the internal disk or the USB for the second part of Setup, as per Microsoft's design, in a typical scenario, wouldn't matter. With other tools and methods you might have to boot again from USB and launch some commands first, detailed answer would be much longer.

Isn't it possible to do all this with a virtual machine?

You might, but next you will be asking how to make an universal XP installation running on different hardware, which might get tricky.

Seems like some of your guys in here developed this winsetupforusb. I am not a real programmer, but can there be

some option "Install portable on [ H:\.... ] in version winsetupforusb 1.5 ? - just asking. - For the future.

I happen to develop it, but can't understand what you mean by ""Install portable on [ H:\.... ]"..

Do you mean to just replace XP Setup and another program to install Windows on a destination disk?

Well, good idea, unfortunately XP (2000 and 2003 as well) Setup is not that easy to replicate, not at all. And what you are asking is possible with very few operating systems, bypassing their installer completely.

Keep in mind that XP installer is very old, dating back from the NT4 times (almost 20 years back) with very minor changes since then, when USB didn't even exist or was just in a very early stage of development and adoption, in case you wonder all this workarounds and mess.

"Install Portable" = "Winbuilder"

WinSetupFromUSB not= WinSetupToUSB

Sounds like the OP wants to do both in one pass. :no:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Medion-Akoya-E1318T-MD99330.111751.0.html

http://www.diskidee.be/2014/01/25/verbeterde-touch-10-minilaptop-bij-aldi/34653/

Surely there's a cover there where the HDD (an SSD?) resides. :unsure: (External 500GB HDD?)

Edited by submix8c

@ ilko_t

You can try to disable them in BIOS, or switch them to SATA mode and make sure your source does not have such driver.

It have a SATA driver. But once I forgot to change BIOS to IDE - so this will work!

One bootstep is also good, because my problems start after this - means one problem less.

You might, but next you will be asking how to make an universal XP installation running on different hardware, which might get tricky.

I am just asking!

I happen to develop it, but can't understand what you mean by ""Install portable on [ H:\.... ]"..

Do you mean to just replace XP Setup and another program to install Windows on a destination disk?

Congratulation to this. -I  thought about some portable browsers (all my browsers are installed on a SD-card)

It could be so easy just to say: "Setup WinXP_64 on Drive [ H: ]", a little [✓] on "portable installation", -->  press  [  OK  ]  -  and thats it!     :)

Of course it is old. It even looks like Win95. But the Win8-installation is just anoying and intransparent. I hate Win8 - thats why I do this.

@submic8c

Thats it! 

Surely there's a cover there where the HDD (an SSD?) resides.  :unsure: (External 500GB HDD?)

http://www.pcwelt.de/produkte/Schnaeppchen-Platte-bei-Aldi-Medion-Drive-n-Go-E82711-170505.html

It is a 5yo 500GB external "HardDiskDrive" for 35,-€! Allmoust the same like internal. I use it for backups.

I will do the real job another day, I got tiered by reading a lot.

- I need to find a tut or explanation for this "advanced options". A tut for the 1.4 version. - Good night folks.  :boring:

Edited by Testdriver

"Install Portable" = "Winbuilder"

I will bookmark this under "senseless" :w00t::ph34r: unless submix8c will be so kind as to provide a meaningful explanation.

For the record Winbuilder is a scripting engine (and nothing else), so the validity of the equation, more than debatable, is null, you know a lot like:

"Building"="concrete mixer" or "Cabinet"="hammer" :whistle:

jaclaz