Welcome to MSFN

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

<3DPRSNOW

xp home sp3 in reboot loop, no f8,no bsod, OEM sp1 need Slipstream BD

73 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have a sony laptop with sp3, think that a pwr surge caused a reboot loop, my f8 doesn't seem to work after 25 tries. My cd rom is bootable. I tried my sony OEM disk, but get nothing, except a progress bar saying it is installing the recovery console, but I never get a menu, just a solid blue screen with no mouse, and I am assuming that is because the disk is sp1 and the computer has sp3. I read this on a site leading me to believe this(see the bold text in #3).

1. Press <Enter> to start the Windows Setup.
    Note - DO NOT press <R> to choose the option To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R
  2. Accept the License Agreement. Windows will then search for existing Windows installations.
  3. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list (there may only be one) and press <R> to start the repair.
    If Repair is not one of the options, you should press <F3> to Quit. This usually means that the version of Windows on the CD does not match the one already installed. If you do proceed to install a fresh copy of Windows rather than repairing an existing one, you will lose access to all the applications you previously had installed (although your own files should be preserved). You will also need to supply the correct Windows licence key for the CD.

I've tried hirens but only get an image of sky and grass, no icons or start menu.

I put my cd in the drive of the windows 7 laptop (borrowed) and and moved all files to a folder I named xp.

Downloaded sp2  & sp3 and was able to extract them from their cabinets using the command line,hoping  to slipstream & boot the computer so that I can read my bsod error.

(I have a borrowed win 7 laptop, so image of system folders is from that comp, not the one in need of repair.)

I have tried 2 different commands from 2 different sites. this one
cd i386 [ENTER]
cd update [ENTER]
update -s
:c:\xp [ENTER]

and this one

WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU /integrate:C:\WinXP

both caused this pop up

post-395846-0-05007300-1406546049_thumb.

nLite gives this pop up error

post-395846-0-86489900-1406546138_thumb.

here is the files copied showing sp1 and i386, I wouldn't think the "I" being capitol in i386 would matter, but that is from OEM, not me.

So now for my big question, is there anything I can do to slipstream sp2 & sp3 onto my OEM sp1 disk, or do I have to purchase another windows home disk from somewhere like ebay with sp2 already on it and then try to slipstream that disk, with sp3?

Thank you to anyone for taking your time to answer my question, if possible please don't shortcut the answer to much if there is an explanation, I'm obviously a newbie.

post-395846-0-19710400-1406546188_thumb.

Edited by <3DPRSNOW

The error with nlite is not readable easily, but it seems like pointing out an issue with the actual "base" source.

It is also possible that there are some issues running nlite (or the service pack) under WIndows 7.

You clearly followed the instructions here for the first attempt of integrating SP2:

http://winsupersite.com/product-review/slipstreaming-windows-xp-service-pack-2-sp2

(which AFAIK/AFAICR are OK).

Maybe you had some issues with paths :unsure:, or maybe, for any reason, something went wrong when downloading or expanding extracting the XP SP2 executable or there are some issues with permissions (but you should have some different kind of errors if the latter) or there were some copying issues when copying files from CD to hard disk :unsure:.

But you can slipstream "directly" a SP1 source to SP3. :yes:

Try following to the letter this set of instructions (they are very similar to the ones above related to SP2):

http://kb.parallels.com/en/5446

Do open a command prompt with Administrator privileges (you never know) to execute the commands.

Report what happens.

(what you reported doing seems fine :), but sometimes a small glitch in the matrix may happen)

Theory of operation:

• by re-doing the copy from CD to hard disk we can reasonably exclude that there was some error (or it should show)
  • by using the SP3 instead of the SP2 we may reasonably exclude the possibility of a failed/botched SP2 download (unless of course also the SP3 is a botched one)

jaclaz

Hmmm... XP Home Edition, eh?

That last image indicates "IP" (Professional), which further indicates that's a Recovery (Restore) CD and -not- a Reinstall CD. I'm betting that the I386 is just the WINPE files.

Could you get a Directory Listing of the I386 folder for us (zip and upload/attach)? Something isn't right. :unsure:

Hmmm... XP Home Edition, eh?

That last image indicates "IP" (Professional), which further indicates that's a Recovery (Restore) CD and -not- a Reinstall CD. I'm betting that the I386 is just the WINPE files.

Could you get a Directory Listing of the I386 folder for us (zip and upload/attach)? Something isn't right. :unsure:

I hope I am replying the proper way, as I saw no reply button.i386.zip

Edited by <3DPRSNOW

How odd! Well, take a look at this and see if it "closely matches" yours. (50kb ZIP of Pro XP w/SP3).

I just find it EXTREMELY odd that no "WIN51IC" and "WIN51IC.SP1" files exist in the ROOT of your CD, which would exist if your OEM disk were XP Home w/SP1.

!!!PROI386DIR.zip

Attachment procedure -

1 - Click "More Reply Options"

2 - In "Attach Files", click "Browse", and "Select" a file

3 - Click "Attach This File"

4 - Above that, click "Add To Post"

5 - Add whatever text you like in the Post before/after the brackets "[]" (brackets surround the attachment# and attached filename).

You did it that way?

How odd! Well, take a look at this and see if it "closely matches" yours. (50kb ZIP of Pro XP w/SP3).

I just find it EXTREMELY odd that no "WIN51IC" and "WIN51IC.SP1" files exist in the ROOT of your CD, which would exist if your OEM disk were XP Home w/SP1.

attachicon.gif!!!PROI386DIR.zip

Attachment procedure -

1 - Click "More Reply Options"

2 - In "Attach Files", click "Browse", and "Select" a file

3 - Click "Attach This File"

4 - Above that, click "Add To Post"

5 - Add whatever text you like in the Post before/after the brackets "[]" (brackets surround the attachment# and attached filename).

You did it that way?

They do exist, they are in the last image of my 1st post. It only resembles somewhat,sp3.zip

Edited by <3DPRSNOW

The error with nlite is not readable easily, but it seems like pointing out an issue with the actual "base" source.

It is also possible that there are some issues running nlite (or the service pack) under WIndows 7.

You clearly followed the instructions here for the first attempt of integrating SP2:

http://winsupersite.com/product-review/slipstreaming-windows-xp-service-pack-2-sp2

(which AFAIK/AFAICR are OK).

Maybe you had some issues with paths :unsure:, or maybe, for any reason, something went wrong when downloading or expanding extracting the XP SP2 executable or there are some issues with permissions (but you should have some different kind of errors if the latter) or there were some copying issues when copying files from CD to hard disk :unsure:.

But you can slipstream "directly" a SP1 source to SP3. :yes:

Try following to the letter this set of instructions (they are very similar to the ones above related to SP2):

http://kb.parallels.com/en/5446

Do open a command prompt with Administrator privileges (you never know) to execute the commands.

Report what happens.

(what you reported doing seems fine :), but sometimes a small glitch in the matrix may happen)

Theory of operation:

• by re-doing the copy from CD to hard disk we can reasonably exclude that there was some error (or it should show)
  • by using the SP3 instead of the SP2 we may reasonably exclude the possibility of a failed/botched SP2 download (unless of course also the SP3 is a botched one)

jaclaz

This is what I got after doing as instructed, 1 thing I am unsure of as in the 1st attempt, is where the files merged end up. I assume in the xpsp3 folder, correct?

post-395846-0-20994100-1406601103_thumb.

Let me point out a couple of things that may have been unnoticed.

His source is not a actual (Or even close to one) official source. He has a disk which at the very least has BOTH XP home and pro on it.

Which means it does not have a standard structure for nLite to use to begin with. It probably has already been modified with nLite also.

As pointed out slip streaming under win7 will not work either because of pidkey file issues.

He also mentions hirens in his first post which still falls under the warez rules here.

The OP needs to do the following to even have a chance of this working. Get a actual copy  of XP that is unmodified. THEN under a XP vm or on a XP machine slipstream sp3 and make a new source and go from there.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Let me point out a couple of things that may have been unnoticed.

His source is not a actual (Or even close to one) official source. He has a disk which at the very least has BOTH XP home and pro on it.

Which means it does not have a standard structure for nLite to use to begin with. It probably has already been modified with nLite also.

As pointed out slip streaming under win7 will not work either because of pidkey file issues.

He also mentions hirens in his first post which still falls under the warez rules here.

The OP needs to do the following to even have a chance of this working. Get a actual copy  of XP that is unmodified. THEN under a XP vm or on a XP machine slipstream sp3 and make a new source and go from there.

I have my original OEM disk, I can use to do a sp3 slipstream, but I don't have a windows xp machine to use, only a borrowed windows 7 machine, I may have access to a garaged xp pro desktop, would that work?

Edited by <3DPRSNOW

Your oem disk is not a full xp copy, its a mash of files made to work with recovery partitions already on systems.

You need to find\borrow\buy a copy of XP. Once that is done you will have to setup a Virtual  XP to slipstream it to sp3. There is NO way around that part you cannot successfully slipstream a xp era sp under win7.

EDIT: This guide http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158294-nlite-officialunofficial-faq/ is very invaluable reading as to what you are doing.

Your oem disk is not a full xp copy, its a mash of files made to work with recovery partitions already on systems.

You need to find\borrow\buy a copy of XP. Once that is done you will have to setup a Virtual  XP to slipstream it to sp3. There is NO way around that part you cannot successfully slipstream a xp era sp under win7.

EDIT: This guide http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158294-nlite-officialunofficial-faq/ is very invaluable reading as to what you are doing.

Ok, thank you for the help, I will either buy or borrow the xp home cd, should it be if I do have the choice sp1 or sp2 and I may have access to an old xp home desk top that's been stored for around 2 years in a garage hope it's ok to use. I will repost if I have an issue with that attempt.

If you have the choice go for the oldest copy of xp you can find see post 2 here for reasoning:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158294-nlite-officialunofficial-faq/

If the old xp system doesn't work setting up a temporary xp virtual system on the win7 machine is not hard at all to do. (With the new xp disk as the temp source.)

Once you get setup slipstream only sp3 and make a new image and burn a couple of copies for archival purposes.

If you have the choice go for the oldest copy of xp you can find see post 2 here for reasoning:

If the old xp system doesn't work setting up a temporary xp virtual system on the win7 machine is not hard at all to do. (With the new xp disk as the temp source.)

Once you get setup slipstream only sp3 and make a new image and burn a couple of copies for archival purposes.

ok, will do, just need to get to that bsod on the xp home laptop to read my error, since  f8 doesn't work I thought the disk was the best way to read it.

May I ask, does this solve my problem, without having to slipstream anything?www.ebay.com/itm/281397695664?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Super! Plus a great price too.

It does say this in case you missed it. MAKE SURE that XP drivers are available for your system before purchasing. This is not a retail box copy of windows, so please know what you're buying before making a purchase, as returns are not accepted.

Your system was already xp so drivers do exist for it. Theyre probably on that oem disk. Give me the model number of your laptop and i'll get the driver page for you.

Your system was already xp so drivers do exist for it. Theyre probably on that oem disk. Give me the model number of your laptop and i'll get the driver page for you.

Sony Vaio VGN-A790, thank you!

Here is your driver page. 

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VGNA790&LOC=3#/downloadTab

For ease of your own sanity download AT LEAST all of the ones that have to do with wireless and lan and have them on a usb drive or disk before formatting your laptop.

(The wireless and wireless lan ones at the bottom of that page.)

(Nothing drives me crazier than working on a laptop and realizing after its formatted I can't connect to get the drivers)

Now I have a usb wireless adapter that carries it's own drivers :P

Here is your driver page. 

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VGNA790&LOC=3#/downloadTab

For ease of your own sanity download AT LEAST all of the ones that have to do with wireless and lan and have them on a usb drive or disk before formatting your laptop.

(The wireless and wireless lan ones at the bottom of that page.)

(Nothing drives me crazier than working on a laptop and realizing after its formatted I can't connect to get the drivers)

Now I have a usb wireless adapter that carries it's own drivers :P

Thank you! From what your saying am i doing the right thing? My system is stuck in a reboot  loop, I think from a power surge. I can't use

F8 for some unknown reason. The key just doesn't work. I can't therefore get to the bsod screen to read my error. I don't think at least after talking to a few posters that I am doing a reformat, I thought I was just trying to get to the bsod(by using the bootable disk) screen to read the error, and then what I understood was to replace the necessary file to fix it and be able to boot up properly. Do I understand correctly?

Edited by <3DPRSNOW

Well that's the thing you don't actually read a bsod that way they create mini dumps that can be read but only if you can access them which you cannot.

Since your systems been rendered unbootable you can try either 

A.) A repair install (Typically works fine as long as their was no hardware failure) <-- this will likely work fine in your purposes because it replaces broken and missing files and regentries.

or

B.) A "Dirty" over installation of xp to recover files and pics whatnot with a clean install and re setup afterwards)

Any way about it you're going to need a full xp disk and that's really a good price.

Since your in the states like me I am willing to give you phone assistance after you get your disk.

Well that's the thing you don't actually read a bsod that way they create mini dumps that can be read but only if you can access them which you cannot.

Since your systems been rendered unbootable you can try either 

A.) A repair install (Typically works fine as long as their was no hardware failure) <-- this will likely work fine in your purposes because it replaces broken and missing files and regentries.

or

B.) A "Dirty" over installation of xp to recover files and pics whatnot with a clean install and re setup afterwards)

Any way about it you're going to need a full xp disk and that's really a good price.

Since your in the states like me I am willing to give you phone assistance after you get your disk.

Thank you so much, for offering such a kind thing to do, and appreciated more than can possibly know!!! I will get back to you as soon as I get them :w00t::yes:

Sure pm me after you get the disk and i'll either get your number or give you mine. (I have unlimited minutes and free long distance :P )

This is what I got after doing as instructed, 1 thing I am unsure of as in the 1st attempt, is where the files merged end up. I assume in the xpsp3 folder, correct?

attachicon.gifintergrate sp3.JPG

Yes.

The idea is that a copy of the "source" files (pre-SP) are in C:\XPSP3.

The SP file is in C:\SP3\, youfirst extract it's contents that will go in C:\SP3\i386\.

Then change current directory to C:\SP3\i386\ and run the update.exe with the /integrate switch pointing to the source files, i.e. C:\XPSP3\.

The update program will replace some of the files with the corresponding SP3 updated version (and change some other setting files.

After the procedure ends successfully, the files in C:\XPSP3 will be "current".

As said the procedure may not work for two reasons mainly:

1. the "source" is not "valid" (i.e. the CD does not contain a "plain", "normal" XP SP1 - thank th egood Sony guys for making a mess of an otherwise simple thing)
  2. the "environment" is not suitable (i.e. the Windows 7 - thank the good MS guys for this - has some incompatibilities with update.exe).

In your particular case the two reason may even happen at the same time. :ph34r:

We *somehow* managed to "fix" similar situations in the past, see here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/120423-how-do-i-make-a-bootable-xp-cd-out-of-the-i386-folder/

(but in that case the files on the hard disk were used as "base")

and here (from a recovery CD):

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/91907-cannot-access-cd-containing-windows-xp-installation-files/

A thread where a similar procedure (in painstakingly detail) is represented is here:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=24161&hl=

It is of course "a lot of work" :( and there is no real guarantee of success...

If you can afford to buy )or however procure yourself a "standard" CD it would surely be easier.

In any case, you will need (to be on the safe side) to use a "real" XP or get this "Virtual Machine" for 7 and run the tools in it:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8002

jaclaz