Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

xp home sp3 in reboot loop, no f8,no bsod, OEM sp1 need Slipstream BD

- - - - - sp3 bootable disk slipstream error xp home sp1 nlite pop up reboot loop bsod sp2 xp home oem

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Ponch

Ponch

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,243 posts

f8 doesn't seem to work

I tried my sony OEM disk, but get nothing, except a progress bar saying it is installing the recovery console, but I never get a menu, just a solid blue screen with no mouse

I've tried hirens but only get an image of sky and grass, no icons or start menu.

This is bad. There might be more problems than just a botched XP.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

<3DPRSNOW

<3DPRSNOW

• 18 posts

f8 doesn't seem to work

I tried my sony OEM disk, but get nothing, except a progress bar saying it is installing the recovery console, but I never get a menu, just a solid blue screen with no mouse

I've tried hirens but only get an image of sky and grass, no icons or start menu.

This is bad. There might be more problems than just a botched XP.

from a few other responses I am reading this is standard, the disk sony made contains xp home & xp pro, this is why nothing is working, I need an xp home retail version, the original disk doesn't work, because sp3 is what is installed, no other problems, hard drive is only 2.5 years old, and I am stuck in a reboot loop

<3DPRSNOW

<3DPRSNOW

• 18 posts

This is what I got after doing as instructed, 1 thing I am unsure of as in the 1st attempt, is where the files merged end up. I assume in the xpsp3 folder, correct?

attachicon.gifintergrate sp3.JPG

Yes.

The idea is that a copy of the "source" files (pre-SP) are in C:\XPSP3.

The SP file is in C:\SP3\, youfirst extract it's contents that will go in C:\SP3\i386\.

Then change current directory to C:\SP3\i386\ and run the update.exe with the /integrate switch pointing to the source files, i.e. C:\XPSP3\.

The update program will replace some of the files with the corresponding SP3 updated version (and change some other setting files.

After the procedure ends successfully, the files in C:\XPSP3 will be "current".

As said the procedure may not work for two reasons mainly:

1. the "source" is not "valid" (i.e. the CD does not contain a "plain", "normal" XP SP1 - thank th egood Sony guys for making a mess of an otherwise simple thing)
  2. the "environment" is not suitable (i.e. the Windows 7 - thank the good MS guys for this - has some incompatibilities with update.exe).

In your particular case the two reason may even happen at the same time. :ph34r:

We *somehow* managed to "fix" similar situations in the past, see here:

http://www.msfn.org/...he-i386-folder/

(but in that case the files on the hard disk were used as "base")

and here (from a recovery CD):

http://www.msfn.org/...allation-files/

A thread where a similar procedure (in painstakingly detail) is represented is here:

http://www.911cd.net...topic=24161&hl=

It is of course "a lot of work" :( and there is no real guarantee of success...

If you can afford to buy )or however procure yourself a "standard" CD it would surely be easier.

In any case, you will need (to be on the safe side) to use a "real" XP or get this "Virtual Machine" for 7 and run the tools in it:

http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=8002

jaclaz

I'm sorry I keep clicking the quote button to respond, but I haven't seen another way or button to click. I have found a disk on ebay with sp3 installed on it, so I will try it, just waiting to hear back from seller to make sure it's not a manufacture disk like dell or something, to make things work the easiest, I hope I can find the error and replace the file, so I can boot normally after that. By the way, does jaclaz stand for Jaclas as in the native american santo domingo necklace? Just curious because I have a pair of Jaclas

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,066 posts

By the way, does jaclaz stand for Jaclas as in the native american santo domingo necklace? Just curious because I have a pair of Jaclas

Naah.

There is a much simpler explanation :yes:, it's actualy a shortening of my name and surname:

http://jaclaz.alterv...B/USBstick.html

...though I thought jacla was a Navajo/Native American thingie:

http://nativeamerica...-it-what-is-it/

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, Today, 05:48 AM.

PinkFreud

PinkFreud

Junior

• Pip
  • 76 posts

I'm sorry I keep clicking the quote button to respond, but I haven't seen another way or button to click...

Scroll to top of topic page click reply to this topic Screenshot: https://onedrive.liv...thint=photo,PNG

Edited by PinkFreud, Today, 12:14 PM.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,206 posts

DUDES! There's some -serious- confusion going on!

The -list- the OP provided was from the SERVICE PACK and -not- the Sony CD/DVD!

I -want- the DIR listing from the ORIGINAL Sony CD/DVD (NOT SP3, everyone can get that) to determine -if- it indeed is a "full" set (REMEMBER that it began life as XP -HOME- with SP1 not SP3)! I -repeat- that -some- OEM's pulled a "stunt" of copying the I386 -only- after Restore (remember the difference?) -and- specifically booted into XP PRO WINPE. This, my friends, was SOP for Compaq. Trust me, I -still- have the CD's sitting right here, two variations, one for an Intel, one for an AMD (my Bro and his wife) WAY long time ago.

Again, we do -not- know whether the OP has a -full- I386 on the -SONY- CD/DVD ATM. In addition, would it -not- be wise to get the Key off the HDD' Registry and those "special" files so it will preactivate -even if the OP were to reload from scratch-?

Bottom line, since F8 is the "nonfunctional" (after POST and WHY?) -and- the Sony CD/DVD is "bootable" -and- it wants to go to Recovery Console (NOT install it) then, aren't we at an impasse? Indeed, -is- it "installing Recovery Console" or -is- it loading up some sort of Factory Restore procedure? Seriously, folks, think about it.

Please, Sir OP, provide a Directory Listing of -your- Sony CD/DVD's I386 folder and I'll gladly compare to -my- I386 (regardless of Service Pack level). We -may- be spinning some serious wheels here!

(sigh...)

Also AHEM! I reply from the last page/bottom of the Topic, you know, where the "Post" and "More Reply Options" buttons are? :crazy:

Edited by submix8c, Today, 02:14 PM.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,767 posts

ummmmm his second post has the i386 dir list.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,206 posts

Beg pardon, Kel... that was an "edit" that I missed (wasn't there before).

Now, if you look real close -that- is -specifically- for a WinPE as I said. It's no good. He apparently has a Restore CD.DVD (set?) and that will "wipe" his current install. The Recovery Console was -not- being installed (as I said), the CD/DVD was -literally- attempting to boot into a Recovery routine. Just like the Compaq ones I have - SoftThinks/PC-Angel/Ghost/Whatever images. (No way WIM's) File "SNYHDRCV" is a dead giveaway. Wonder what's in that "CREATECD" folder? Too bad we don't have a COMPLETE directory listing. SOMETIMES you get lucky and a crippled version of Ghost/Powerquest is used (but you would need the program to "unpack" it).

As I said, the OP will need the Product Key from the Registry, the four "special files", and a (maybe "borrowed) XP Home Edition (any SP-Level) -or- mount the HDD (somehow) in another PC to get the I386 (OEM's may have it in ROOT or "WINDOWS", moving target), along with SP3 plus a working PC to "integrate" and then "replace" the four "special" files. -UNLESS- the OP has more than one CD/DVD in a Set?

Alternative - wipe the HDD and start from scratch (Factory Restore from CD/DVD) and lose any software/data put on it from date of PC procurement. :( :no:

Aaaaand reviewing, jaclaz said sufficient and some of what I reiterated (consider this an addendum).

I now bow out/shut up. :yes:

edits? - to remind me - "Sony Vaio VGN-A790" Notebook/Laptop

http://esupport.sony...ad#/downloadTab

According to the Marketing Specs, that's a SATA HDD, so you -can- plug it into a Desktop directly to get what's needed off the HDD. (Manuals/Specs tab) and it came with XP Home SP2. It's within the possibilities of "using what you have" provided a Desktop with SATA on the MoBo, a power connector, and a data cable can be used.

Edited by submix8c, Today, 04:17 PM.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

<3DPRSNOW

<3DPRSNOW

• 18 posts

I'm sorry I keep clicking the quote button to respond, but I haven't seen another way or button to click...

Scroll to top of topic page click reply to this topic Screenshot: https://onedrive.liv...thint=photo,PNG

ok, last time I promise, I thought replying to each person seperatly, meant hitting the quotes, so when I click on the big button, it replies to each person separately, then? thanks

<3DPRSNOW

<3DPRSNOW

• 18 posts

I hope I haven't caused alot of confusion. 

I'm finding out from the MS forum, from someone trying to help me there also, that they also had an issue with a Hirens download, and after re downloading it and burning it on a windows 7 computer that it did indeed create a bootable disk for an xp home system.

I may have been using the wrong terminology when I said repair. I am trying, they informed me, to do a chkdsk, because I have an error somewhere. I can't say for sure that my F8 key worked before this problem, because I had no occasion to use it.

I do not have a cd/dvd set it's only a single disk. I am going to upload the file print.txt again, this time it has no Hirens or nLite integration attempts on it.

The person helping me on the MS forum, says to just use my bootable usb for the hirens disk, because it will be burnable on windows 7, in order to run the chkdsk on windows xp.

If anyone knows of some way, or a better way to do this, other than buy a new disk, which I am about to do, if I can't find a way to do the chkdsk. I'm not trying to overwrite my files and software by doing a fresh/clean instal. Just trying to repair the error that is causing the reboot loop.

Again here is print.txt xp home i386 file, from my single sony disk.

Attached File  xphome.zip   548bytes   1 downloads

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,767 posts

@ submix8c = That's why I was going for a repair installation. You are right though about the product key part. That ebay listing is (Supposedly) for a legit activate-able set.

Awesome idea about the sata and a external measures though.

I can't think of a easy way thats legal for you to run a chkdsk but jaclaz or submix8c might.

I would still get that ebay auction though. Even if the issue your having is fixed your likely at some point going to need a xp disk. Their only going to go up in price for awhile.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian, Today, 08:46 PM.

<3DPRSNOW

<3DPRSNOW

• 18 posts

Something is wrong with those specs, the computer is too old to have come with if I am correct sp2, but even it did, I replaced the hdd with a WD scorpio Blue sata 500GB approximately 3 years ago and did a factory install on it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sp3, bootable disk, slipstream error, xp home sp1, nlite pop up, reboot loop, bsod, sp2, xp home, oem

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN