Questions about ATI Radeon HD8240 and Qualcom Atheros AR9485

ironman14

Hello.

I am trying to create a Windows 2000 install disk using nLite. I would like to integrate the drivers of the ATI Radeon HD 8240 and Qualcom Atheros AR9485 as they are my graphics card, and wireless network adapter.

I will be using unofficial updates (Blackwingcat's unofficial kernel) on this installation, to have better program support and hardware support. Both drivers I need are XP versions, which should work on UNofficial 2k (If i slipstream it right in).

To get down to business, I have a 64-bit OS on my computer. These drivers may/may not be 64 bit versions, I do not know. Do I need the 32-bit drivers, as Windows 2000 is 32-bit? Lastly, it is hard to find just a driver on the web. You need to download the driver installer. Does anyone know how to get the driver from the installer? I know where the drivers install, but I don't see any .drv files.

Thanks.

There -is- no ".drv" files. No, x64 drivers won't work. Go into Device Manager, finde the VEN/DEV values and google. It seems that the Drivers must have come from soemwhere - you talking XP 64-bit at the moment (you never said)? Seems that you have a "newer" x64 OS currently installed, right? I can't seem to find any drivers for XP for HD8240 - only Win7 and up. From AMD -

AMD E1-2500 APU (AMD Radeon HD 8240)
Meaning, it's "built into" the CPU. And yes, drivers can be extracted (UniExtractor) and usually involve at least on ".INF" file (the Installation Information Directive file) and one or more files (ANY suffix, e.g. .SYS, .DLL, .EXE, etc etc).

HTH (and come back with better info than what you gave for better info ;) )

There -is- no ".drv" files. No, x64 drivers won't work. Go into Device Manager, finde the VEN/DEV values and google. It seems that the Drivers must have come from soemwhere - you talking XP 64-bit at the moment (you never said)? Seems that you have a "newer" x64 OS currently installed, right? I can't seem to find any drivers for XP for HD8240 - only Win7 and up. From AMD -

AMD E1-2500 APU (AMD Radeon HD 8240)
Meaning, it's "built into" the CPU. And yes, drivers can be extracted (UniExtractor) and usually involve at least on ".INF" file (the Installation Information Directive file) and one or more files (ANY suffix, e.g. .SYS, .DLL, .EXE, etc etc).

HTH (and come back with better info than what you gave for better info ;) )

I have found the location where the drivers are found, and I can see the INF Files and the SYS files (haven't looked through everything.) I could find the 32-bit drivers if necessary.

The drivers came preinstalled on this PC. It runs windows 8.1 64 bit, for now anyways. The reason why I was looking for XP drivers was because I figured they may work on an unofficially updated Windows 2000.

As for the drivers, this site: http://www.driverscape.com/download/amd-radeon-hd-8240 claims xp, vista, 7 and 8.

This site: http://www.amd-drivers.com/download-RadeonHD8240-mobility-driver-for-WindowsVista-64bit.html claims Vista, 7,8.

I was planning to install Windows 2000 on this Windows 8 PC, but now I see that this is more difficult than it may seem. I also, just yesterday, found an old XP desktop in storage. I will possibly install win2k on that once I get a monitor set up.

Thanks anyways.

• 2 years later...

Hi, For gaming more significant than Plants vs. Zombies, the HD 4330M is not appropriate.
There are likely a lot of old games that it will run fine.  Unreal Tournament 2004, for example. But if you're looking to play a modern game, even at modest settings, you may be in for a world of hurt.
Today, in 2011, what are currently older low end discrete video setups are generally going to be outperformed by the integrated video found in Intel Sandy Bridge parts, and far outperformed by AMD Llano based parts.

As for the laptop drivers, this site: http://http://driverbasket.com/ claims xp, vista, 7 and 8.