Windows ME on Acer Aspire 5502WXMi (ATI Mobility Radeon X700 problem)

pkkilleru

UGH! :( I thought i was out of the woods but it seems like bad luck follows me....

Both Windows 98 and WIndows ME can't manage the new nVidia card well enough, either if i install them with ACPI on or off, there is a conflict (Code 12) where the video card cannot find enough free resources to run properly "This device cannot find any free Input/Output Range (I/O) resources to use (Code 12)".

I tried to install Windows XP to see if the new EDL00 BIOS is the problem, but Windows XP runs just fine..........

I tried to disable the COM and Infrared ports along with the LPT port in bios, i also disconnected the wlan and bluetooth modules, there is nothing else i can disable in the bios or remove from the system.......

What is the solution??? :(

Edited by pkkilleru

If the videocard has more than 256MB (or was it 128MB?) of RAM, you're toast!

Additionally there may be some other subtle incompatibility in BIOS that Win9x/ME can't handle through the driver.

Few years ago I had found a site (and forgot the link in the mean time) which provided lots of nVidia video BIOS packages and some flashing applications but I have no idea if your particular videocard's BIOS can be flashed, which are the proper tools, where to find a BIOS file and whether it could be modified to report less memory than the actual value, if that turned out to be the issue.

If the videocard has more than 256MB (or was it 128MB?) of RAM, you're toast!

Additionally there may be some other subtle incompatibility in BIOS that Win9x/ME can't handle through the driver.

Few years ago I had found a site (and forgot the link in the mean time) which provided lots of nVidia video BIOS packages and some flashing applications but I have no idea if your particular videocard's BIOS can be flashed, which are the proper tools, where to find a BIOS file and whether it could be modified to report less memory than the actual value, if that turned out to be the issue.

The ATI Mobility Radeon card that i have (working on the EFL50 Aspire 5500 BIOS only) has 256MB and there were no hardware conflicts, apart from the driver which did not recognize the laptop LCD panel properly but otherwise worked just fine on an external monitor, i even played some games for testing

The nVIDIA GeForce Go 6600 card that i have (working on the EDL00 TravelMate 4150 BIOS only) has 128MB and it gives Code 12 hardware conflict in Windows 98 and ME, the driver loads just fine but the hardware does not initiate because of the conflict, even before i load the driver...

As for the video bios, it is included in the system bios, hence the flashing i did from another platform that includes the nvidia bios in the system bios, it cannot be flashed externally, nor does the video card have any eeprom on it

Edited by pkkilleru

In my Dell laptops, I only had success with ATI Radeon mobility 7500 after installing Rloew's memory patch with the move (\M) option

I removed one stick and i am running only on 512MB, i reinstalled windows 98 with and without ACPI, the Code 12 conflict is still there unfortunately frown.gif

Interestingly enough, and i don't know what it means, in either windows 98 or windows ME, in device manager if i go to the video card resources it says "no conflicts", then if i go to computer in device manager and right click properties and then look for the listed resources that the video card is supposed to be taking, they are not listed there, all other devices that are taking up any resources are listed there except for the video card.

If this is a bios issue, then why is it not happening in windows xp, why does the video card work just fine in windows xp? Could it be that the video bios cannot work correctly with windows 9x?

I am so disappointed, i really wanted this system to work with windows 9x... :(

i will study this code 12 issue as best i can and will try to find a solution to it, but if nothing works, i will attempt a hardware solution which has a pretty good chance of not working, i will buy a PLCC 32 pin socket for the SST 29VF040 eeprom chip and a SST 29VF080 eeprom to replace the old one, flash it with the current working bios and the attempt to flash it with the Toshiba M60/65 Phoenix bios, the hardware platform is the same, but he Toshiba bios is 1MB versus the Acer one which is 512KB, the Toshiba bios accommodates both ati and nvidia video bioses, hence the increased size.

If i am successful (i strongly doubt it) then maybe the Phoenix bios has a better compatibility with windows 9x and managing memory ranges and other resources....

Wish me luck lol

I replaced the soldered to the motherboard PLCC32 eeprom with a socket so i can hot swap the chip and program a blank one using the motherboard itself, but the system just shuts down instantly once i mess with the good chip in the socket.....

back in the day i used to do this all the time with DIP32 eeproms and it worked just fine, it seems that modern computers have a fail safe that prevent such procedures......

here is to another failure and back to no options left.... i wish i had a parallel flash programmer

This is quite interesting...

• The string can contain one or more detection switches separated by a semicolon (;). For example, if you want to use /p fand /p i you type setup /p f;i.
  • Some switches are simply on/off switches. The absence of the switch implies off; the presence of the switch turns it on. A minus sign (-) appended immediately after a switch turns it off.
  • Some switches take parameters in the form of c=params. If there is more than one parameter to a switch, the parameters are separated by a comma (,).
  • There must not be any spaces in the detection option string.

• b - This switch enables Prompt Before mode. It prompts you before a detection module is called so that you can step through each detection module manually and decide if you want to skip it. 

The default is disabled. 

Example: setup /p b

• x=res list - This switch excludes the listed resources from detection, where res list is one of four possibilities:
    • io(xxx-yyy,xxx-yyy,...)
    • mem(xxxxx-yyyyy,xxxxx-yyyyy,...)
    • irq(x,y,z,...)
    • dma(x,y,z,...)
    This switch protects resources so that no detection modules can access them. 

Example: setup /p x=io(300-30f,240-24f)

At this point i am out of ideas and pretty much heart broken, obviously the geforce go 6600 has trouble with the intel pci express root 2951 or wherever it's installed. The video card does not appear on any of the resources in device manager, but in I/O range there are a bunch of things "used by unknown device" which could be the video card.

The last thing i will try is to find a plcc32 eeprom programmer to flash a larger eeprom so it can accommodate a larger (maybe toshiba) bios, but i highly doubt the motherboard would even want to boot.....

Clearly there is an issue between this nvidia pci express card and windows 98/ME, the bios or video bios are not the issue because the configuration works great on windows 2K/XP.

Still i don't know why the ATI card worked just fine with the original bios and windows 98/ME except for the stupid driver which would not detect my laptop panel properly...

Ah well... this was an epic project, too bad it failed miserably...

DAMMIT I DID IT!

All i had to do is to go into safe mode and set the device resources (the ones that could be changed) to manually, low and behold, windows booted and there was no more conflict message, as a bonus the "default monitor" installed.
By the way, i installed the ATI card and wrote down all the resources it was allocated then compared them with the ones for the NVIDIA card, and there was a difference the ATI card had a third I/O resource allocated to it, while the NVIDIA card had a memory range instead of that I/O, but easily enough, the memory range i chose manually looked pretty much the same with the I/O from the ATI card.

For some reason i tried to do the same exact changes in windows 98 safe mode but it would hang after restart, but windows ME worked

Man i'm so freaking happy! That's a big load off my mind!

I hope this will come in handy to somebody crazy and perseverent like i was :P