Win9x locks up

pulteny

Hi all,

submix8c

Keep your shirt on, your speaking to a auld mannie.I have looked at all your links and interesting reading they are.My sick computer will only run in safe mode and nothing is working that I could write to. Only the floppy disc works and this computer does not have a floppy reader.

The option to put the gateway hard disc in this one might be  more than I am up to,the differance between ide and sata is bothering me ,how do you tell them appart.

drugwash,

I removed go-back polling from start up made no differance and another version was installed on next boot up. How about if I take digital photographs from mscofig and post here.

Regards pulteny.

Yes, you could do that, provided the writing is clearly distinguishable. We need to know which items pertain to that dreaded software so we can disable them all at once.

What I'm afraid of is that there could be more of them options also in System.ini and/or Win.ini which would require switching to corresponding tabs in msconfig, expanding some sections, getting screenshots of them too... Anyway, you do what you can and maybe someone who has experience with that software could chime in with their knowledge in the mean time. Otherwise it'll be trial and error.

Teleportation surely would've come in handy... :D

No, absolutely not.

I'd really like a confirmation from submix8c whether disabling startup items related to GoBack would be safe and could help in fixing the issue. Thank you.

I guess you missed the part where the Master Boot Record is altered?

BIOS->MBR->PBR->OS

So, you can't download and burn the ISO with this computer?

Surely everyone has worked out that I am using my other less older computer to write here.

My sick computer will only run in safe mode and nothing is working that I could write to. Only the floppy disc works and this computer does not have a floppy reader.

This has nothing to do with Floppy. Read this -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image

BIOS->CD-ROM-BOOT->GobackBeGone

Need I get screenshots of a Gateway (actually *normally* Intel) BIOS Setup Screen to show you  how? Try pressing F2 *repeatedly* when you turn it on. There will (should be) be a "Boot" selection there - change it *after* you Burn The ISO Image using your other (unnamed) Computer and boot to it.

1 - Download ISO to "other less older" Computer

2 - Burn ISO to CD-R (NOT DVD!)

3 - Turn on "sick" Computer and press F2 (AFAICR), change Boot Order

4 - Stick Burned CD-R in CD-Reader

5 - Press whatever key in BIOS that says "Save Changes" (usually F10)

6- "Sick" Computer will boot to CD-R - do whatever it says to do.

7 - Report back.

I have an old gateway computer with win89 se, it has a pentium3 cpu and 650 MHerts speed also 300 odd Mb memory.

(Another unnamed computer). Please state the Make/Model of said "sick" (some kind of Gateway 2000?) and "less older".

Sir, I'm 63 years old. Please don't use your age as an excuse for not thinking clearly. Thank you.

Now, if you *refuse* to do that... well, the ball remains in your court.

Here (again) is the link to the FTP Folder containing the ISO Image -

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/linked_files/GoBack/

There's also a REG file that completely obliterates all traces of GoBack from the Registry, including the Service that has been haunting you.

Here is the CONFIG.SYS selections in the CD ISO Image

[menu]menuitem=GBPROGU, To unhook GoBack (for typical machines)menuitem=GBPROGR, To repair the Master Boot Record (for typical machines)menuitem=PCDOS, To Load IDE (typical) CD-ROM Drivers and exit to the command promptmenuitem=SCSI, To Load SCSI CD-ROM Drivers and exit to the command prompt

Here is the AUTOEXEC.BAT actions for above

:GBPROGUecho *****************************************************************echo This Utility will allow you to remove Norton GoBack from yourecho system's partition table. If you do not want to do this, pleaseecho remove the CD-ROM from the drive now and restart your computer.echo.pauseecho.echo Unhooking GoBack from MBR...echo.%CDROM%:\GB_PROG.exe /uecho.echo Norton GoBack has been removed from the partition table.echo Please restart your computer.goto END

Need I say more? ;)

Erm... guess I do, since Drugwash responded. Here is a snippet of the code inside the REG file (that can be run in Safe Mode)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices]"GoBack Polling Service"=-[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Symantec\InstalledApps]"Roxio GoBack"=-

I'll let him explain that one since he's already mentioned it. :yes:

(Wildfile->Adaptec->Roxio->Norton/Symantec - same GoBack software)

I'm out of this...

Addendum - I'll happily install this POS software on a test machine to prove this to you. Did I not state that I had done this to someone's PC some years ago? I even described the "HDD thrashing"...

And and Edit. This is found inside the Program (also at the FTP site) that gets executed from the Bootable CD (ISO).

C:\PROGRA~1\WILDFI~1\GOBACK\GB_PROG.EXE
This clearly indicates that the "maker" of said software includes (you guessed it) - WILDFIRE! (found via Hex Editor) Edited by submix8c

Oops, I had indeed missed the MBR part. :blushing:  Well, if that's the case then burning that rescue CD and booting from it to completely remove GoBack would indeed be the best solution. Hopefully the sick machine can boot from optical drive.

I'll add my two cents... checking for malware might be a good idea as well.

I don't know your situation.... but perhaps you can get to a library and download the following programs. (Take a blank CD-R or USB flash drive with you to library). If you aren't able to do this, then perhaps you could suggest them to your Doctor friend and he can use them.

I will provide links to a few programs, and if you need help running or loading them, I'm sure we can help. It's just another avenue to persue... since you never mentioned what kind of security/anti-virus software you have. Without much detailed information about your PC we don't have much to go on at the moment, therefore it's like stabbing in the dark. But, I'm sure it's fixable one way or the other.

BugHunter Malware Scanner for DOS

http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk/

F-Prot Anti-Virus for DOS

ftp://ftp.sac.sk/pub/sac/avir/fp-316f.zip

ftp://ftp.sac.sk/pub/sac/avir/fp-def.zip

^ Make a folder called "Fprot" and extract the contents of both zip files into that folder. It will ask you to overwrite the older definitions, simply click yes. Once both zip files are extracted to the folder, go to Start, then Run, then type in "command." A black screen should appear. Then type in "F-prot /old." The program will start, tell it to search all local disks. To get back to windows type "Exit."

F-prot can sometimes repair a "broken" or infected Master Boot record.

MemScan

http://roseswe.ez-web.de/

*Edit*

Lastly, make sure your hard drive isn't out of space. Those back up programs might use up a lot of drive space if left unchecked. Silly suggestion about drive space, but yeah.

Edited by LostInSpace2012

From the bottom of Submix8c's Link.... this looks promising...

I just overcame goback error 121 and 141. I had to pay symantec $10 and fight with the support guy. It turns out there is another way to disable goback. Apparently it varies by make of computer. I have an IBM desktop computer. Pressing "control" and "alt" and "g" when the computer starts will force a new option. At the prompt "f" will force removal of goback. It worked. Why isn't this on the goback website? What about the other secret codes for other makes?

and

Re: Adaptec GoBack software on Win 98

Thanks for the reply Mark.

I'm sorry I was wrong about Goback starting before POST. But to actually change your bootup options you need to get into the GoBack bootup screen and this is where it is freezing up on me. I have finally found the answer on Adaptec's site. I need to press ctrl+alt+G between POST and the GoBack screen to disable the GoBack utility. Thanks again for taking the time.

Don

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/14794-Adaptec-GoBack-software-on-Win-98 Edited by LostInSpace2012

FYI -

1 - Ctrl+Alt+G is (more than likely) in the MBR Code much like (e.g.) Dell's "System Restore" key sequence. ;)

2 - The HDD may/may-not be zonked (filled up) by... GoBack. ;)

3 - As soon as you "attach another Physical HDD" and/or create an additional Partition, GoBack "takes over". It "kind of" works like "System Restore" in WinME/XP-and-up but *vastly* differently. It runs CONSTANTLY, hence the statement Pee-O-S**t (KILLS the HDD's). NOT good for Gamers at all or even heavy Web Browsing, now is it? :no:

4 - Also, you might note the "snippet" from CONFIG.SYS (booting to DOS Command Prompt). "FDISK /MBR" will completely restore the MBR. ;) Again, I'll gladly install this junk on a Test PC and give further instructions as necessary.

5 - The REG file is "useless" on the "sick machine" since the "not so older machine" has no floppy. However, please note that the Burned CD provides access to the CD files. It would be possible to "recreate" the CD (NOT GOING TO DESCRIBE THAT to a n00b here) and include said REG file that *could* be double-clicked in Safe Mode. Indeed, that SINGLE LINE indicating the "RunServices" entry could be MANUALLY removed using Regedit in Safe Mode (F8) to turn-it-off, providing it can be Disabled AT LEAST ONCE and remove it WHILE DISABLED.

Please note that the WWW is rife with GoBack problems, including but not limited to -LOCKS UP-. :crazy:

How about we wait and see the result from the CD/ISO attempt? :yes:

Side note - It appears to boot to PC-DOS but utilizes Windows 98 (First Edition) files (e.g. SYS, FDISK, FORMAT, etc) and a smattering of Win98SE as well. (Yes, I dumped it to look.)

Addendum - Antivirus is going to be useless until GoBack is obliterated, amirite?

(sigh...) Tested the NSW2002 Goback v3.0.4.53 in VirtualPC on clean install Win98SE. Asked for Reboot, so OK - hangs at blinking cursor/black screen. Boot to LiveXP (WinBuilder) and MBR is overlayed with the GoBack one, Partition Type changed to "44", and a spanky new file on the C-drive (my LiveXP ignores Partition Types) named "gobackio.bin" (google that). Next, I try using the Removal ISO, it hangs during execution (go figure...).

Here's a link that indicates *maybe* it's best to use two partitions. :unsure:

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/major-goback-problem-t2828981.html

Here's the oldest link to the Original WildFile website -

http://web.archive.org/web/19991127225842/http://www.goback.com/?

I *suppose* I could try the LiveXP, delete the BIN file, rename the GoBack folder (for funsies), change the Partition Type back to FAT32 "0C", boot the GoBack ISO, run "FDISK /MBR" and see what happens.

Side note - be aware that you would need a Floppy Boot specifically with FDISK and PTEDIT (downloadable from Symantec FTP), reboot to it, then do the delete/rename if doing this outside of a LiveOS CD. The PTEDIT program is basically a "must have" as the FDISK should be on the HDD already.

1 - Basic Bootable Win9x Floppy with FDISK - get PTEDIT onto it

2 - Boot to it and use PTEDIT to change Partition Type, then run "FDISK /MBR"

3 - Reboot to it and rename/delete "gobackio.bin" and "C:\Program Files\Roxio" (maybe the WiledFile foldername I indicated above?)

4 - Remove Floppy, reboot, and pray to whatever gods you pray to.

PTEDIT found here inside "PTEDIT.ZIP"

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/tools/pq/utilities/

One might have HOPED the OP had made an Emergency Boot Disk (floppy) at one time or another, noting that the "sick" PC is the only one with a Floppy Drive.

(le-sigh....)

Hi  all again," ctrl alt g" did nothing for me. However things have moved on,tried to put windows over windows ended in the s*** ,then also with Gateway system disc deleted windows and reinstaled it.This has worked and computer running ok. I only have very old drivers on their discs most were up dated  on line at sometime or other. All my aplications have gone and only have a few on floppies or cd's.

I intend to start another post and ask if any of you outhere could please advise me of sites on line that have drivers for win98se. You guys feel free to comment.

Thankyou for your time and patience Regards pulteny.

There is no go-back no more.

Edited by pulteny

If you download the "Belarc Advisor" it may help you to know which drivers you will need for your hardware devices.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

The "NSSI" program will also give you some details on your computer.

http://www.navsoft.cz/products.htm

They're both pretty straight forward and easy to read.

Edited by LostInSpace2012

Thankyou for that.

I did have belarc on it but now gone like all the rest of my stuff.I did not think I would lose so much as I did not use the format and reinstall windows option.Well to late now.on this forum there is a lot of 9x information and I hoped somone here could direct me to useful information.

I have a problem transferring information as my usb cruser memory stick drivers are gone,have disc for wireless adpter so might get the thing on the net?

Redards pulteny.

Edited by pulteny