I Fell Through A Microsoft Trap Door

NoelC

We might say that there are two groups of people in the rest of the world, if we were the types who categorize things...

1.  Savvy, experienced people who know implicitly that any OS out of the box isn't perfect and should be considered a blank slate on which to build.

2.  Ignorant people who react in knee-jerk fashion to soundbites and who can't or won't get beyond what's delivered out-of-the-box.

Of course there are never hard and fast lines.  I've been known to react to things myself with too little info, and a lot of people "get it" even without years of experience (look at the popularity of this site).  But this characterization is for the sake of argument.

Frankly I don't care as much what the latter group - however big a majority you may think they are - thinks of my advice.  It's a person's own responsibility to see to it that their own education is advanced.  I'm not really hoping to influence base newcomers except to point out that someone who knows what they're doing can actually do very well indeed with Windows 8.1.  If they recognize that, then they're not so ignorant and there's hope.

IF a young, naïve, but otherwise intelligent person WERE to adopt Win 8.1 per my comments then find it to be lacking out-of-the-box, that person might just go online, find their way here or some other Windows tweaking site, then start down the road to making it better.  Is there anything wrong with that?  What alternatives would you propose?  That they go with Win 7 instead?  XP?  What OS is likely to become useless sooner?

I have a lot of experience and think I know a thing or two about what makes an OS useful.  Rest assured I'd be describing how well I was doing with Win 10 and trying to spread the word on just how to do it instead of praising 8.1 if Win 10 were actually better with any amount of tweaking or augmentation.  For the moment it's just not.  And Microsoft is seeing to it that it won't be any time soon (August 2 anniversary release de-stabilization, anyone?).

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

35 minutes ago, NoelC said:

IF a young, naïve, but otherwise intelligent person WERE to adopt Win 8.1 per my comments then find it to be lacking out-of-the-box, that person might just go online, find their way here or some other Windows tweaking site, then start down the road to making it better.  Is there anything wrong with that?

Well, you would have tricked that young, naive, but otherwise intelligent person into taking a path without warning him/her of what lies ahead of him/her before reaching the expected destination.

Not that much different from what Microsoft did when they put together the trap in which you fell. Omitting information or making it not clear enough.

If at the time you got that MCE add-on license they had clearly told that the key had to be activated within (say) 6 months (or before January 2013) would you have attempted to install the add-on?

Or if they had told you that there was no uninstall feature and you'd betteer make a backup before attempting the install?

More information means more informed choices.

But I will give you maybe a better example.

From where I live to Florence there are two main roads, the first is going through a (toll) highway, and in about 15-20 minutes you get to the North area of the city, then from the North to the center it takes - it depends on traffic - 15-30 minutes more.

The second goes through a (panoramic) road, some 10 km longer, and in about 40-45 minutes - regardless of traffic - you get to the center of the city.

With these informations you can choose, if you are lucky with traffic the first one is a little faster, easier to drive but you have to pay a small toll, and once into town navigation is more difficult, the second is a little longer, it takes maybe 10 minutes more, but is free and very beautiful and while more difficult to drive it is much easier to follow.

jaclaz