Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Migrating Windows 7 or 8 Install from BIOS machine to Native Boot VHD

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

zamarac

zamarac

• 30 posts

Just to see whether this Laptop will at all support Windows 7 in ANY mode? 

If your laptop meets minimal Win7 system requirements AND can boot from USB HDD (choose disk in UEFI BIOS) - of course you can experiment with HDD on cheap, using VHDs for convenience. It should, since UEFI support indicates newer laptop model. Or burn a DVD from Install ISO if you have a burner. Don't set chaotic multiple goals though, structure your tasks in stages, try to understand what exactly you do and why...  :)

UEFI Firmware

Securing the Windows 8 Boot Process

DISM Image Management Command-Line Options

Install or Migrate UEFI OS from ISO to VHD(X) in running Windows (8.1 or 7 Ultimate/Pro):

- boot Windows 7/8 from laptop disk's C:\ volume, and hook up USB HDD to the laptop

- in Disk Manager initialize USB HDD as GPT, create & format NTFS partition on it & label & mount to G:\
- create fixed VHD(X) 20Gb on USB HDD, initialize as GPT

- create, format and label 100MB Fat32 EFI System, 128MB MSR, and large NTFS Windows 7/8 partitions on the VHD(X)

- mount EFI volume on VHD(X) to V:\ , and NTFS to W:\ , make it active

- open Command Prompt as Admin

Install new OS to VHD(X)

- mount Win 7/8 Installation ISO to E:\ with ImDisk or Win Explorer
- check available OS versions on the ISO using DISM GUI or DISM
Dism /Get-WimInfo /wimFile:"E:\sources\install.wim"
- mount the WIM to O:\ (optional to add drivers):
Dism /Mount-Image /ImageFile:E:\sources\install.wim /index:1 /MountDir:O:\WIM (/ReadOnly)

- dismount the WIM

Dism /Unmount-Image /MountDir:O:\WIM /commit (or /discard)
- apply WIM image to VHD(X)
Dism /apply-image /imagefile:E:\sources\install.wim /index:1 /ApplyDir:W:\

- dismount Windows Install ISO in Windows Explorer

OR: Migrate existing OS with Apps to VHD(X)

-  create a new folder on USB HDD for OS Migration image

mkdir G:\Migration

- Capture existing OS with Apps for Migration using DISM

Dism /Capture-Image /ImageFile:G:\Migration\WinImg.wim /CaptureDir:C:\ /Name:"Windows 7"

- mount the WIM to O:\ (optional to add drivers), then dismount

-  Apply WIM of captured for Migration OS with Apps to VHD(X)

Dism /apply-image /imagefile:G:\Migration\WinImg.wim /index:1 /ApplyDir:W:\

Make VHD(X) Bootable

enable Win7 native USB/VHD boot registry settings (no need for Win8)

set_7_usb_boot.cmd W:\Windows
- add boot environment to VHD(X)

cd W:\Windows

bcdboot W:\Windows /s V: /f UEFI  (or ALL)
- add VHD(X) to the laptop's boot menu

cd C:\Windows

bcdboot W:\Windows
- dismount VHD(X) and Shift-Restart your PC from it to Specialize new OS

OR: Boot VHD(X) from USB HDD as Boot Drive

- Boot UEFI WinPE or Installation DVD to X:\, if no OS installed on a new PC internal HDD

- create, format and label 100MB Fat32 EFI System, 128MB MSR, and NTFS partitions with Diskpart on USB HDD

- mount EFI volume on USB HDD to V:\ and NTFS to W:\

- copy VHD(X) with Windows 7/8 applied to W:\

- add boot environment to USB HDD

cd X:\Windows\system32
bootsect /nt60 c: /force /mbr

bcdboot X:\Windows /s V: /f ALL
- add VHD(X) to USB HDD boot menu

bcdboot W:\Windows

- reboot the PC to boot VHD(X) from USB HDD

Notes

- in case of Win7 as laptop's main OS, use VHD instead of VHD(X), install WAIK to add ImageX or use DISM, add ImDisk for ISO mount

- in UEFI mode, installed Windows version 32-or-64 bit must match the PC architecture

- to Migrate BIOS Windows to UEFI, instead of installing WADK & using DISM, one can Backup & Restore OS to HDD or VHD(X)

with Windows Backup or package like Acronis, or use ImageX (only Win7)

- if transferring OS to a PC with different hardware, one needs to Generalize VHD(X) on old PC before Specializing on the new one

- when hooking the USB HDD to another PC, add VHD(X) again to its C:\ Boot Menu to boot from it

Cannot say if it can be of any help with your issue, but it is possible that "between the lines" of this thread:

http://reboot.pro/to...in-bios-to-gpt/

it can be found something of use. :unsure:

Is that were "Outside of Asylum" is?  :yes:   I couldn't ask a question there. Some folks posted in June 2014 that "the registration gate" on reboot.pro is closed, and apparently it still is. The site was for sale last year, traffic dropped dramatically before that, so may be they decided to close the gate forever, no new members allowed?   :whistle:

Edited by zamarac, Today, 05:23 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,225 posts

Is that were "Outside of Asylum" is?   :yes:   I couldn't ask a question there. Some folks posted in June 2014 that "the registration gate" on reboot.pro is closed, and apparently it still is. The site was for sale last year, traffic dropped dramatically before that, so may be they decided to close the gate forever, no new members allowed?   :whistle:

No, that is actually the Asylum.

I reside outside of it.

And my gate to it is closed as there is no way (anymore) to have some meaningful exchange of ideas (apart the strictly technical field) with a number of residents.

About site being for sale (or not) and/or increases or decreases of traffic (or Alexa ranking for that matters) those are essentially Nuno's business.

Instead of all this (senseless)  suppositions, have you actually tried registering there?

No less than three new members registered today, so I believe that there are not any issue of any kind with it.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, Today, 08:50 AM.

zamarac

zamarac

• 30 posts

Sorry, I didn't catch what was that about - Blue Ribbon?  :rolleyes: Thanks for the link - as always Content Rich seal from The Finder.

My gate to it is closed as there is no way (anymore) to have some meaningful exchange of ideas (apart the strictly technical field) with a number of residents.

Edited by zamarac, Today, 01:16 PM.

cdob

cdob

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

I will try to find some DVDs burn Windows 7 on them and see if the boot on UEFI. Any particular MSDN / Digital River ISOs you'd recommend / know of that will WORK?

Any x64 ISO supports UEFI boot.
Remember: this is about basic testing still: does machine works at Windows 7 UEFI?
I expect: boot.wim is loaded to RAM and PE is processed:
either hangs next: vga.sys can't connect to VGA bios. Then ignore UEFI Windows 7 at this machine.
or does boot and Shift F10 is possible: UEFI Windows 7 is possible

I have a spare HDD (cant open laptop).. But I can attach via USB.. DO you think I should try installing and booting Windows 7 off that on a Partition? Just to see whether this Laptop will at all support Windows 7 in ANY mode?

Yes, this was another idea. Be aware, windows 7 doesn't support USB booting.
There are different approaches to circumvent this: different machines requires different solutions.

Basic testing: clone the Thinkpad HDD.
Boot from USB HDD at Thinkpad. A BSOD 0x7b is a good sign so far.

Connect the USB HDD to the Toshiba. Turn on the machine, press the boot select hotkey.
Do you get a USB HDD twice? One should refer to BIOS mode and antoher to UEFI mode.
Select the non UEFI mode. Again a BSOD 0x7b would be a good sign so far.

zamarac

zamarac

• 30 posts

Be aware, windows 7 doesn't support USB booting.

There are different approaches to circumvent this: different machines requires different solutions.

Won't that be enough? :o  If NOT, is there a more generic approach described anywhere? May be using USB_W7_Fix from wimb's IMG_XP  will do?

Boot ISO in UEFI Mode

Grub4dos won't work at UEFI.

Use bootmgr.efi and adjust bcd file.
Or use another bootloader, e.g. grub2.
Rebuild the installation environment: add mount ISO image to boot.wim 

Can similar approach be used to boot UEFI (Acronis ATIH 2014/15) ISO (WinPE or Linux based) in UEFI mode? Any more details & background?

Edited by zamarac, Today, 03:45 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN