Can't Install Win7 SP1

wjtaylor

Hi,

I'm working on an Acer laptop that has Win7. I have no install media. I cannot get SP1 to install via update or via download from the MS download site.

I've searched the net for causes, and this seems to be a common problem. The reasons for failure are varied, however.

Is there anyone who can guide me through a troubleshooting process? The error codes don't give much info.

I moved to Linux after the peak of XP to avoid Vista and am not too familiar with Win 7. While Win7 seems pretty solid, I'm very surprised at this sort of thing. I never had any issues like this with XP.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
WT

Edited by wjtaylor

CBS.log   - Access Denied (not sure why, I'm in the admin group)

Check SUR.log
=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7601.22471
Package Version 25.0
2014-09-02 14:53

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store
(f) CSI Payload File Missing 0x00000000 autochk.exe amd64_microsoft-windows-autochk_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_3de8def0db722996

Summary:
Seconds executed: 2085
 Found 1 errors
  CSI Payload File Missing Total count: 1

CheckSUR.persist.log
=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7601.22471
Package Version 25.0
2014-09-02 14:53

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store
(f) CSI Payload File Missing 0x00000000 autochk.exe amd64_microsoft-windows-autochk_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_3de8def0db722996

Summary:
Seconds executed: 2085
 Found 1 errors
  CSI Payload File Missing Total count: 1

FilterList.log

AVGIDSFilter               0               0
                            mwlPSDFilter               0               0
                                Avgmfx64               5               0
                                   luafv               1               0
                                FileInfo               7               0

WindowsUpdate.log (too big to post - it hangs on saving reply)

Based on the error code 80070005, that was claimed to be security related, I ran windows update from the admin account and stil receive the same error....

I have no idea how to proceed.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

WT

I downloaded malwarebytes and it cleared quite a few objects, but still no luck.

Then...

Per this post:

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/147481-Windows-Update-Error-80070005

Going to c:\windows and hiding and unhiding all the files worked to clear 80070005.

I'm now able to update and install via windows update. Once the current update is done, I'll attempt to install SP1

1. You must be loged in as administrator;

2. You must have fine and clean Windows; 

3. all previous updates must be installed;  (previous are these, what were available before SP1 was released)

4. show us the cbs.log, anyone cannot give you no advice, if we don't know, what is the reason.

5. The most likely - you have a corrupted Windows.

Edited by kaljukass

3. all previous updates must be installed;  (previous are these, what were available before SP1 was released)

Well, they are supposed to be contained in the Service Pack and will be uninstalled (at least their registry entries) at its installation.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like you have several issues with the install. If its an OEM license (preinstalled by Acer) you can use a program called ABR to backup your OEM System Locked Preinstallation activation. After that you can download a Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 .iso and use it to create a bootable USB. Together with the ABR program, backed up ABR files and Windows 7 .iso you have more up to date media to clean install. You should also download WSUS Offline Update, which will allow you to download all the important for Windows 7 Updates and apply them offline on the clean install before you connect to the internet. In addition you will need to download the system drivers from Acer.

Assuming you have an infection, its recommended to securely wipe your system with Darik's Boot and Nuke before Windows installation which will cleanse your system of any Malware. You can then install Windows 7 from the bootable USB without a product key. Next use the ABR program to reapply your OEM SLP activation. Then use WSUS Offline Update to update Windows fully. After that you can install the system drivers (making sure to install Chipset drivers first).

This will give you a clean install with far superior performance. I have explained this entire procedure in my guide DellWindowsReinstallationGuide / A Clean Install of Windows. The guide is Dell based but all the steps will work on an Acer except you may need to press a different key to F12 to select to boot from USB and the ABR files must be obtained from your existing install (if OEM) because I don't have any backup certs from OEMs other than Dell and HP.