Microsoft buys Minecraft?!?

Torchizard

There have always been strange combinations of company and product such as Facebook buying the Oculus Rift. Another has surfaced lately; Microsoft and Minecraft. According to both a MS News post and Mojang Blog post, Minecraft has now transferred ownership to Microsoft for $2.5 Billion. Any thoughts on this?

I have a feeling that the PS and iOS editions may 'spontaneously disappear' soon. 

Edited by Torchizard

It was reported that Notch had never intended for Minecraft to get so big and was uneasy about how to handle such a large company. That was the primary reason for wanting to sell Mojang. I even read that they went to Microsoft first.

I don't expect any of them to just disappear. So far it sound more like that Microsoft will be handling the business end of things, while the current developers say nothing with the game or their community participation will change.

• 1 year later...

why not just start charging a monthly fee to long time dedicated users??? This way people will stop using Minecraft as much and they will not have to manage so much troubles??????????? Why god, Why???????????Even so it is all over god, all over.

Also remember what happen to Rareware ( probably the only western company to penetrate the Japanese market and do what we all dreamed of ). After that deal fell through the company divided. Microsoft also screwed up the release of "Malice" and also barred people from deving for the original X-box;

Edited by ROTS

why not just start charging a monthly fee to long time dedicated users???

It wouldn't work.

I think the purchase was partly to have something familiar to show off the Hololens but more likely it was to purchase the customers. It is a common trend these days to acquire new customers not by word of mouth or advertising, but to purchase them by aquiring another company.