Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Can Windows XP be installed on Sandy Bridge Intel CPU?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

esecallum

esecallum

Junior

• Pip
  • 88 posts
  • Joined 21-November 06

I have an athlon 3200+ Amd single core cpu with ATI480 motherboard from2007 wih 2gb ram..It works awesome.It has windows xp professional with sp3.

On a second hard drive on the same box i have windows 7. It works fine although I don't like it /use it very often when I boot the pc up.

I am going to buy a new pc and after doing much research have settled on an Intel cpu and the question is Would there be any issues with running Windows XP with a Sandy Bridge processor?

Specifically a quad core i5-2500K processor which after much research seems to be very good in price and performance.

Has anyone here installed xp on a intel sandy bridge cpu/motherboard and what were the results?

I have asked other people but they keep going on and on that I should use windows 7 & 8 even after I told them i want xp to be the main system.

Some people say it is impossible to install xp on sandy bridge cpu/motherboard.

Also the motherboard should also have 1 IDE hard drive drive connector to allow older pata as a secondary data drive.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

GrofLuigi

GrofLuigi

GroupPolicy Tattoo Artist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Joined 21-April 05

Yes, it is very possible. I have it installed and work daily on it* and I suspect many others have. In fact, IMHO it is the last generation for which XP drivers can be (easily) found.

* Server 2003 to be exact (but of course drivers are for XP), and also I did a test installation of XP to see if it works. Yes, it worked.  :yes:

Edited by GrofLuigi, Today, 12:27 PM.

• esecallum likes this

esecallum

esecallum

Junior

• Pip
  • 88 posts
  • Joined 21-November 06

Yes, it is very possible. I have it installed and work daily on it* and I suspect many others have. In fact, IMHO it is the last generation for which XP drivers can be (easily) found.

* Server 2003 to be exact (but of course drivers are for XP), and also I did a test installation of XP to see if it works. Yes, it worked.  :yes:

Thanks for you reply.Could you tell me what motherboard model/make it is?

or if a ready made pc what model/make and what cpu and from where you purchased it..

Also how well does it run...is it fast and smooth?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

esecallum

How to remove advertisement from MSFN