a good Win98SE gaming build?

Washu

Hi all i'm new here^^

i ahve allways been intressted in old stuff, and now i thought i maybe i should build a gameing PC for old game for Win98 and later DOS games, it was my first OS i ever used,

but i don't know what is good and what is bad. i know already that there is a list of parts thats works for Win98. but still i don't know if it just take one of everything and u good to go. and on top of that i don't know what is a good price for eacth part. and so on im thinking of maybe paying around 200-280$ whit shipping ofc.

but as i don't know whats good and bad i wonder if i can get some tips of you guys thats know more about this cool stuff.

i live in EU Sweden. so plz don't say this is super cheap like 30$ if its not for me. i know there is alot cheaper stuff in US don't bother tell it if i can get it cheap too. there is no point of buying like a sound card for 50$ then shpping 40$ and importing 15-20$ i don't really see that point maybe if it is really good and thats the only way for me  but i kinda wonna avoid it if i can.

thx for you help.  sorry if this already exist.

hmm i see. 

but i whould be just cooler have a real PC instead of emulating. cuz if i have the real stuff i will not get any bugs or anyhing that can happend whit a EMU. and where is the fun factor if u EMU everything i mean ia hve C64, NES, ps1, MD, saturn, ps2, Dreamcast, GC and xbox. its mutch more fun to play on the real console then emulate it right?

or are it just that i will not get cheap for me is that the problem?  have seen som youtube vids about ppl in US buying old PC's for 5$

You should be fine with any Pentium 2 or 3 PC. I know AMD or Cyrix may be an option but I've never used either of those. I would pick out which video card you want to use, then determine which board you want. Reason being is that if you want to use certain AGP cards, the keying is different. So you wouldn't want to buy an AGP card just to find out it won't fit in the AGP slot in the board/PC you bought. Also consider that if you pick up a used PC that the case it is in may not fit what you want to put in it. This is fine if the board you get is an ATX board as you can get another case fairly easily.

I don't know what the market is like for you in Sweden for used PCs.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Dell Dimension 4300 (from 2002, I think. It's one of those curvy dark blue models), which came with XP preinstalled. It was a very high-end computer at the time, but these kind of computers probably sell very cheap used, nowdays. It has a 1.5 GHz Pentium 4 CPU, 512 RAM, and an Nvidia Geforce2 graphics card. I installed Windows 98 SE alongside XP a few months ago, and it runs great, with complete driver support for Windows 98. Hardware accelerated graphics only works in 16-bit color, but the difference isn't that noticeable. And the motherboard lacks USB 2.0 support (only USB 1.1). But it works great as a retro-gaming computer.

yea. thats why i try to know more about the hardwhere itself but well id on't know anything about pc stuff. are intressted thats why im trying to get one^^

if i knew more about what i can use and what i can't it whould be more simple to try to build one on my own "maybe" but i try lokking on this site and i find a page where it was listed whit a toons of hardwhere that should work for the W9x but i still don't know. can i just take what ever i finthere and put them toghoter? i don't really think it works that way do it? if it does that i just can take one board of each thing buy it and wipe i get a PC. sounds to simple to me....

or should i try to get an XP PC and then downgrated for that? it might be easier for me to get one used but i don't know if it really will work that well cuz the OS's are so diffrent.

was looking adround on a site and i finded this one:

FSC Scaleo Athlon XP 1900+ 1GB/80GB DVD/CD-RW (XP)

Athlon XP 1900+
MS-6380 FSC OEM MoBo
420W Ace PSU
2x256MB PC2100 + 1x512MB PC2700 = 1GB DDR
80GB WDC IDE-hårddisk
DVD-ROM LiteOn LTD-163
CD-RW Samsung 52-32-52x
GeForce 3 Ti200 64MB VGA+ TV-out
3Com 100Mb NIC
2xSerieportar, 1xPrinterport, 1xJoystick
1x3.5", 1x5.25", 2xPCI lediga drivebays/slots
Realtek AC´97 Moderkortsljud med FP-Audio
4xUSB 1.1 (2 på front)
2xUSB 2.0
3xFirewire (1 på front)
Diskettstation
80mm Chassifläkt

----------

only for like 80$ or so whit shipping, will this work for W98?

I disagree, 98 works fine with 1GB of RAM. Even on my 2013 Core i3 laptop :)

If it doesn't work for some reason (GPU drivers?), he simply takes out the RAM modules, and he's fine.

Edited by MrMateczko

I disagree, 98 works fine with 1GB of RAM. Even on my 2013 Core i3 laptop :)

If it doesn't work for some reason (GPU drivers?), he simply takes out the RAM modules, and he's fine.

Sure :yes:, especiallly if it has a single 1 Gb RAM stick that would be a nice solution. :whistle:

Seriously :), there are normally no particular issues, BUT some tweaking may be needed:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/118097-day-to-day-running-win-9xme-with-more-than-1-gib-ram/

Typically a couple of settings in system.ini are needed:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/79756-512-mb-ram-and-above/?p=578205

jaclaz