New CCleaner Free Version Has Some Changes

Monroe

Just noticed last night that the new free version of CCleaner v4.18.4842 (25 Sep 2014) which has already been replaced by CCleaner v4.18.4844 (26 Sep 2014) has something new added ... which may be good or not so good.

Here are the version changes:

# v4.18.4844 (26 Sep 2014)

- Added Active System Monitoring for Free users

- Improved Firefox Saved Password cleaning.

- Improved Opera History cleaning.

- Improved 64-bit build architecture for Window 8 and 8.1.

- Added Ashampoo Burning Studio 14, XnView and FastStone Capture cleaning.

- Improved localization support.

- Minor GUI Improvements.

- Minor bug fixes.

# v4.18.4842 (25 Sep 2014)

- Added Active System Monitoring for Free users

- Improved Firefox Saved Password cleaning.

- Improved Opera History cleaning.

- Improved 64-bit build architecture for Window 8 and 8.1.

- Added Ashampoo Burning Studio 14, XnView and FastStone Capture cleaning.

- Improved localization support.

- Minor GUI Improvements.

- Minor bug fixes.

I'm wondering about the first line ... Added Active System Monitoring for Free users

Sounds like something that will always be "running" in the background ... I just mention this for discussion ... as I said earlier, could be "good" or "bad" or "not necessary". You may want to stay with the last version before this was added.

I have not tried the new version so I don't know much about it. I found this information about "System Monitoring" :

Thursday, September 25, 2014

CCleaner v4.18

CCleaner version 4.18 is now ready for download!

In this release, we've added one of our most requested features to the free version- Active System Monitoring. While not as powerful as the Professional version, CCleaner Free can now monitor your system in the background and detect when to Clean based on space that can be saved.

We've also improved cleaning for Firefox Saved Passwords and Opera History as well as adding cleaning for several new applications!

... anyone have more information or thoughts on this. I personally feel I don't need CCleaner to be running in the background ... I run CCleaner several times during a session anyway and always just before I shut down my computer ... maybe it can be "turned off" and not be using resources ... not sure.

I use the "portable version" anyway ...  click on the "All Versions" tab. The latest version hasn't been added yet.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/security/system_cleanup/ccleaner_portable.cfm

... I also noticed this, which may be new or not ... the "Free" version does not have a check beside "Complete Cleaning" ... maybe it has always been that way, I don't know or maybe the older versions did have "Complete Cleaning" ... they may be trying to sell the paid version (s), nothing wrong with that, just can't say for sure.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Complete Cleaning is not checked under the CCleaner Free version ... so what is not cleaned or left behind and did older free versions offer "Complete Cleaning" ???

Edited by monroe

... I'm wondering about the first line ... Added Active System Monitoring for Free users

Sounds like something that will always be "running" in the background ... I just mention this for discussion ... as I said earlier, could be "good" or "bad" or "not necessary". You may want to stay with the last version before this was added ...

To disable monitoring on CCl 4.18.4844 go to Options => Monitoring and untick "Enable system monitoring", then untick "Enable active monitoring", and click YES.

CCleaner-Monitoring.png?cb9d3d

http://techdows.com/2014/09/new-ccleaner-4-18-update-now-lets-you-disable-active-monitoring.html

Thanks TELVM ... I was waiting for the "portable" version to show up which I downloaded yesterday ... just tried everything out a few hours ago. The latest portable version is at the link in my first post.

I guess all is well since people have the option to turn off the monitoring or let it run. When I first tried the latest version ... monitoring was not checked or running. That's for the portable version, don't know how the setup is ... if a person installs the latest version.

The article link that you posted explains a few things ... why there were two releases in two days.

I hadn't read the article so thanks for the link.

Probably most people know about the CCleaner Slim version ... it can be found at the regular home page with a little searching ... it's also available at MajorGeeks, if you like an installed version ... the size is listed at 3.6 MB.

CCleaner Slim 4.18.4844

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/ccleaner_slim.html

Edited by monroe