Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 10 - First Impressions

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,221 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

I can do that. Yet, just as for its Win 8 counterpart, here we have more latitude... 

So then the idea is to shift the whole range of discussion from "Deeper Impressions" over to here?

If that's the case, I could go for that and then there'd be no reason to move the thread to the new Win10 subforum.

--JorgeA

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,946 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

Yes. That was the ain reason for moving "Deeper Impressions" here. So I went ahead and created 1st impressions for 10 here.

But, now that "Deeper Impressions" has been here already for a long time (and it *is* a high traffic thread, you know) is time to reevaluate:

Either all such threads remain here or they go to their specific forums. Both. Of course, when my 10 1st impressions is retired, to give room for a corresponding "Deeper Impressions", I may move the retired thread to the 10 forum, while leaving the then new active thread here. I envision the moment for it as around when 10 goes RTM. OTOH, I may also fish the old 8 1st Impressions at the 8 forum and move it here, if we so decide. That's why I'm consulting you. 

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,221 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Yes. That was the ain reason for moving "Deeper Impressions" here. So I went ahead and created 1st impressions for 10 here.

But, now that "Deeper Impressions" has been here already for a long time (and it *is* a high traffic thread, you know) is time to reevaluate:

Either all such threads remain here or they go to their specific forums. Both. Of course, when my 10 1st impressions is retired, to give room for a corresponding "Deeper Impressions", I may move the retired thread to the 10 forum, while leaving the then new active thread here. I envision the moment for it as around when 10 goes RTM. OTOH, I may also fish the old 8 1st Impressions at the 8 forum and move it here, if we so decide. That's why I'm consulting you. 

Good questions all -- and thanks for asking!

I do like it that having the active thread under "The General Stuff" allows us to discuss a broader range of Microsoft-related topics than if the thread were placed specifically in the Windows 10 (or 8) subforums. So I would vote for leaving it here.

As to where to put the retired threads, I could go either way. I guess that ultimately it makes the most sense to move them to their corresponding OS subforums, but I don't feel strongly about that.

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,221 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

One "first impression" about Windows 10 is the lack of impression it seems to be making. If you go around the tech news sites, there's not a whole lot of talk about it, pro or con. Even here at MSFN the discussion seems to have ground to a halt. (Unless we're all so busy testing it and giving feedback to Microsoft via their forums, that there's no time left to come back in here.)

The general "first impression" of Win10 by the tech public seems to be "meh." Maybe that's because it tries to be all things to everybody (like with that Start Menu featuring a Live Tiles right panel) and ends up leaving no one in particular feeling really happy.

--JorgeA

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,822 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
I am weary of ms after the advances of win8 untill they bring back a better look (non win 1 era) and stop trying to cloud everyting im done

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 5,946 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

+1

@JorgeA: "meh" indeed... or maybe even "D'oh!" :P

doh.jpg

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,906 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

It seems all the talk here about the TP is people testing Bigmuscle and Tihiy's add-ons. Everyone else seems to have posted "I tried it once for 10 minutes and this is what I think" and that's the end of it. Well... except Noel who has at least installed an update.
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,572 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

It seems all the talk here about the TP is people testing Bigmuscle and Tihiy's add-ons. Everyone else seems to have posted "I tried it once for 10 minutes and this is what I think" and that's the end of it. Well... except Noel who has at least installed an update.

Well, what do you do when you are looking to buy a car?
  • you go to the car dealer and see what is on sale
  • in no more than 10 minutes you decide which model(s) you are interested in, basing the decision on price, features and looks
  • if possible you arrange for a test drive for ONLY the model(s) that you fancied in #2 (in other words, you are not going to test drive a yellow 1977 Ford Pinto Cruising Wagon, because you excluded it because on how ugly it is ;)):
220px-1977_Ford_Pinto_Cruising_Wagon.jpg

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, Today, 08:01 AM.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,906 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

I don't know. That car looks pretty sweet. :D
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 5,946 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

And it's yellow!!! Nowadays every car semms to be black, silver or white (and 'round here Taxis are white)!

If the price is right and it's still in good working order... :D

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,221 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

I had a Ford Pinto back in the day. But it was the original hatchback model, and in light blue.

It never did explode on me...

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,221 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Yesterday I installed the 9860 build. While the tech news sites are claiming the process takes 15-30 minutes, my test laptop (an i5-3210M) took 55 minutes from the time I started the Installation, with several reboots along the way.

Visually, the biggest difference is the animations when opening or closing a window. I do like this, it adds a bit of panache to the Windows experience.

On the other hand, Microsoft seems to be slowly migrating its administrative/customization options from Control Panel to the new "PC Settings" Metro-inspired menu, as reported by Neowin:

We know the company is asking users how they could improve the new PC Settings pane, and more importantly, what it will take for them to move away from Control Panel. We can start to see evidence of their efforts on this front in the new 9860 build where you can find a zPC Settings app. The zApps naming and panel is clearly a work-in-progress carried over from internal testing used by Microsoft.

Honestly, I don't see the need to fix what isn't broken. This move suggests to me that this is the overall "look and feel" that Microsoft wants Windows eventually to take. With all that dead empty screen space, I suggest buying stock in mouse manufacturers as a lot of mouse wheels are going to wear out prematurely from all the additional scrolling that's going to be needed.

When complete, the PC Settings menu had better include every single option that now exists in Control Panel. <_<

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, Today, 10:05 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,572 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

I had a Ford Pinto back in the day.

Sure, and you also liked/like Vista, I like coincidences :).

jaclaz

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,221 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

^^  :lol:  That's a good one!!

But... I didn't say that I liked that Pinto.  :)  I bought it used; let's just say that it was all I could afford at the time. :ph34r:

OTOH, I do still like my Vista.  :P

--JorgeA

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,572 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

I bought it used; let's just say that it was all I could afford at the time.  :ph34r:

Yep :yes:,  let's just say that - curiously enough - at the time it had a much lower selling price than other comparable cars.

I wonder WHY exactly that happened. :unsure:

jaclaz

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BlouBul