Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 10 - First Impressions

• Please log in to reply
603 replies to this topic

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

So then, would you lean toward thinking that Win32 applications not launching from the Start Menu is something that was intended?

I'd say so, yes.

I also honestly believe the travesty that is the new "Start Menu", which shrivels by comparison to anything they've implemented before, is being done on purpose.  Kind of a "See?  SEE?  You didn't know what you really wanted.  Nyah." from Microsoft.  Gosh, those BS half-baked Metro/Modern Apps are starting to look better and better by comparison to the desktop.

It's a pre-release, so nobody can complain, right?

It's a free upgrade, so nobody can complain, right?

-Noel

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Formfiller

Formfiller

• PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Joined 03-January 13

Had to shut up the metro on channel9 again (lengthy anti W10 rant)

Formfiller

Formfiller

• PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Joined 03-January 13

I am sure the win32 "bug" was fully intentional. No way anyone could have missed that. We're talking about not being able to launch Windows programs. It's on the same category as not booting on Intel processors.

It's yet another "FU" to their established user base.

I am pretty sure they will fix that though, because W10 would be completely broken without win32. Shipping the current broken build however is just one more dick-move in a very long list now.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 15,327 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

@Formfiller

Sorry to say so, but you are IMHO missing the whole point. :w00t:

It was noticed alright, as it is talked about in the actual release blog post for that build, here:

http://blogs.windows...-now-available/

The issue here is that  a build with such an ENORMOUS issue should have never have come even NEAR a release, and that IF that happened the release should have been canceled, instead of "downsizing" the issue as a mere bug (even if described as "a bit painful") and providing a (lousy) workaround:

We know this one will be a bit painful but there is a bug with this build in which Win32 (desktop) apps won’t launch from the Start menu. The workaround is to use search to find and launch these apps and pin them to your taskbar for quick access.

Imagine Toyota (I am taking Toyota as an example as they have built for themselves over the years a fame for their reliability and pursuit of excellence)  engineers presenting a car at specialized press for a drive test  (i.e. well before going into mass production and selling the car, just presenting it as a "preview") telling the journalists:

"There is a bit painful bug in this car as it doesn't have seats, as a workaround you can use these fruit crates".

Unconceivable. :w00t:

jaclaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users