Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 10 - First Impressions

• Please log in to reply
680 replies to this topic

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

While I agree that the Win 10 stuff looks the worst ever, the slide to mediocrity hasn't been all that sudden.  The Vista/7/8 calculators can't even handle 64 bit numbers.

Try doing a conversion of an unsigned 64 bit hex value of 9000000000000000 to decimal, for example.  You get a negative number.

Do a hex to decimal conversion then want to do some scientific math on it (something I actually do occasionally).  The newer versions just lose the accumulator during the switch in modes.

Fancy features like history aside, the old XP calculator, derived apparently from a 3rd party application called Calculator Plus, was the last one that actually was made to be used seriously.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC, Yesterday, 05:20 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,547 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

All right, I've managed to wreck the new Win10 Start Menu.

Relying on @Formfiller's link showing how to get to the Group Policy Editor, I found settings under "Search" to turn off Web search when using Start Search. Because of the way they're worded ("Don't search the web"), I figured that the desired setting was to Enable. Did that, and then launched the Start Menu.

The Search bar disappeared completely from the Start Menu. I guess Microsoft considers my laptop part of the Web.

Went back into gpedit.msc (which I still had open), and reverted the setting back to "Not Configured." No change: the search bar didn't come back to the Start Menu.   :huh:

Rebooted and opened the Start Menu. No dice -- still no search bar in there.

For whatever reason, the Search icon in the Taskbar still works (although with Bing results and headlines included :angrym: ).

Not sure if there is any other way to try to get the search bar back into the Start Menu.

What a POS, this Win10. And no, that doesn't stand for "point of sale."

It's back to Classic Shell for me. We'll see if Search still works from there.

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,547 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

And speaking of the Start Menu, it sounds like What You See (now) Is What You Get:

New features and improvements coming to Windows 10

Microsoft's Belfiore also noted that with these new tweaks, the Start menu is pretty much a final product. As such, we don't expect any more significant changes beyond what we see today. 

--JorgeA 

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,547 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Windows 10 emoji give new skin tones, middle finger and some sass

Well, it's not hard to guess which emoji will get the most use, especially with regard to Windows 10...

Spoiler

:yes:

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,547 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

I thought I'd add a small mention of a small feature I don't know even know still works

Currently, I am using Build 10041, I like how the taskbar and startmenu (Classic Shell, and MetroTard)

adopt some colour from the daily wall paper.

The bit that I really like is how the settings icons also adopt the colour too. Try it. 

Do the later builds do this?

Got a chance to try this.

It does work on 10074, for me at least.

--JorgeA

Formfiller

Formfiller

• PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Joined 03-January 13

All right, I've managed to wreck the new Win10 Start Menu.

Relying on @Formfiller's link showing how to get to the Group Policy Editor, I found settings under "Search" to turn off Web search when using Start Search. Because of the way they're worded ("Don't search the web"), I figured that the desired setting was to Enable. Did that, and then launched the Start Menu.

The Search bar disappeared completely from the Start Menu. I guess Microsoft considers my laptop part of the Web.

Went back into gpedit.msc (which I still had open), and reverted the setting back to "Not Configured." No change: the search bar didn't come back to the Start Menu.   :huh:

Rebooted and opened the Start Menu. No dice -- still no search bar in there.

For whatever reason, the Search icon in the Taskbar still works (although with Bing results and headlines included :angrym: ).

Not sure if there is any other way to try to get the search bar back into the Start Menu.

What a POS, this Win10. And no, that doesn't stand for "point of sale."

It's back to Classic Shell for me. We'll see if Search still works from there.

--JorgeA

Try to set it to disable. But I am not sure it works.

Same thing happens with Windows Update. If you change its setting in group policy, it seems to be stuck to that setting. I wasn't able to set it back to the default W10 behavior, even after enabling/disabling/not configuring the WU group policy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users