Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 10 - First Impressions

• Please log in to reply
860 replies to this topic

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,223 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

...Microsoft's plans to push ads on users: if they use the lock screen for that...

Seems a natural fit to me...

Brawndo.png

-Noel

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 15,484 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Of course, I doubt that Microsoft has any desire to provide that level of choice, but I'm wondering if Windows (7? 8? 10?) is structured such that they could do that if they wanted to, without having to overhaul the entire code base.

Strangely enough, I didn't mention blackbox casually :whistle:

http://blackboxdesktop.deviantart.com/

Note: out of the Windows shells, most stable and compatible (up to Windows 7) is bbLean, which has a 64-bit build. Xoblite and others are 32-bit only and hence incompatible with any modern system. bbLean and bbLeanskin plugin may have issues on Windows 8. EDIT: New bbzero builds work under every Windows version, including Windows 10 preview. For downloading, see official site below

http://blackbox4windows.com/

So Windows is being turned not only into adware, but maybe also into spyware. Wonder it it'll be possible to disable that. It's already the case that, in the Windows Firewall, you can't disable Cortana phoning home. (At least, I was not able to.)

Hmmm. :unsure:

Possible logical flaw detected :w00t: :ph34r:: if the new stupid windows 10 is being turned into spyware, it implies that current Windows 8/8.1 is not, which in turn would mean that the senseless pushing that MS makes to have customers use "online accounts" is done for the actual benefit of the users and to offer them a better experience ....

jaclaz

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,618 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Of course, I doubt that Microsoft has any desire to provide that level of choice, but I'm wondering if Windows (7? 8? 10?) is structured such that they could do that if they wanted to, without having to overhaul the entire code base.

Strangely enough, I didn't mention blackbox casually :whistle:

http://blackboxdesktop.deviantart.com/

Note: out of the Windows shells, most stable and compatible (up to Windows 7) is bbLean, which has a 64-bit build. Xoblite and others are 32-bit only and hence incompatible with any modern system. bbLean and bbLeanskin plugin may have issues on Windows 8. EDIT: New bbzero builds work under every Windows version, including Windows 10 preview. For downloading, see official site below

http://blackbox4windows.com/

I spent almost an hour looking at that blackbox thing. It's all too obscure and arcane for a non-techie like me. I didn't see any tutorials for how to actually use it. And the DevianArt page describes it as a "window manager." So, many questions remain unanswered, such as:

• Can it be used to create Aero Glass-style window borders and title bars?
  • Can it be used to replace the Metro-style new "PC Settings" app with Control Panel?
  • Will it replace Metro crapps, such as the photo viewer discussed a few posts upthread, with their Win32 equivalents?
  • Basically, as the poster I quoted said: can it be used to "put the Windows 7 shell... on the Windows 10 kernel"?

Note, too, the caution just before the text that you highight in the quote above: "may have issues on Windows 8."

All in all, it doesn't look like an especially vibrant ecosystem, what with websites disappearing, scant participation in the ones that do exist... and then this confirmation of what I had already observed:

You need to know what you are doing, and you are right in NOT knowing, because there are no BB tutorials, I am afraid - and mine are lame, if I may say so.

The final straw was when HitmanPro.Alert intercepted an attack (DEP) and closed my browser while I was on that blackbox4windows.com website.

--JorgeA

rn10950

rn10950

• 20 posts
  • Joined 28-January 15

GIF support has been bad since 7 (Vista?) anyway. The last photo viewer to properly show GIFs was XP's. But the main question is, why is the metrotard photo viewer default anyway? Another thing I noticed in recent builds is that Firefox can't set itself as default browser anymore, you have to go to the "PC Settings" crapp to set your default browser now.

I didn't know about XP showing GIFs better than 7. How is that so? I'll have to try it out and see if I can tell the difference.

As for the metrotard photo viewer being the default -- well, they want everybody eventually to move over to metrotard apps. (One possible reason may be found in my next post.) *

Still on 10074 here and Firefox offers normally to set itself as default. I will definitely check out what you said about that when I get the new build. They seem to be intent on making it harder and harder to run the system the way the user wants: hiding the steps for creating a local account, now removing the automated offer to change the browser. Of course Microsoft and its fanbois will tell you that they're not "forcing" you to do anything, you can still get what you want done even as they make it harder to do it. This is the special evil of their approach.

They are tilting the lake so that you have to swim uphill if you want to picnic on the far shore.

--JorgeA

(*) This post was intended to appear before the one above it. Had them on separate computers and hit the Submit button at the same time, but the other one made it through first.

The XP photo viewer can show the animated GIFs while the 7 one can't.

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts
  • Joined 27-August 09

so use irfan view like normal ppl do :P

If you want true Windows user experience
try Longhorn builds: 3718, 4029, 4066

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 15,484 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

I spent almost an hour looking at that blackbox thing. It's all too obscure and arcane for a non-techie like me. I didn't see any tutorials for how to actually use it. And the DevianArt page describes it as a "window manager." So, many questions remain unanswered, such as:

• Can it be used to create Aero Glass-style window borders and title bars?
  • Can it be used to replace the Metro-style new "PC Settings" app with Control Panel?
  • Will it replace Metro crapps, such as the photo viewer discussed a few posts upthread, with their Win32 equivalents?
  • Basically, as the poster I quoted said: can it be used to "put the Windows 7 shell... on the Windows 10 kernel"?

It was only a proof that changing the shell on a modern system is possible.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Considering that - as you have noticed - the thingy is the result of the work (as a hobby) of a bunch (like "I can count them on the fingers of my left hand") of amateurs, consider what the good MS guys could do (if they wanted to).

jaclaz

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,223 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

Consider also Classic Shell, which stops short of replacing the UI entirely but does a great deal to improve and augment what Microsoft chooses not to do well.  And of course there's Aero Glass.

Now consider that Microsoft does things to the system to break these nice tools practically every time they release an update (e.g., right now the "Run" facility of Classic Shell is non-functional in the latest build of Win 10, and Aero Glass doesn't work at all).

Microsoft could provide documented interfaces for people to use, and maintain them for compatibility.  As a matter of fact, their stated goal is to make the system modular so that they themselves can update whole parts of it independently.

But they simply make it more difficult than practical for people to do anything to (and with) Windows for whatever reason.  They are actively turning it into a moving target. 

Full control must be a sweet, sweet thing for unpublished reasons.

The gulf is growing between what could be and what is, not shrinking.

-Noel

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,618 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

The screenshots for that blackbox thing were too few for me to form a clear impression of how comprehensive their changes are. So the question is whether it's possible for anybody other than Microsoft (and maybe even them) to create a complete, integrated and comprehensive "Windows 7-style shell" that would be interchangeable with the Windows 10 shell, as the ZDNet commenter had suggested. That way, those of us who prefer the Windows 7 model could stay on it while benefiting from whatever security and other improvements have come since then, while Metro and app fans could enjoy their favorite model it its full glory.

Is that a practical objective, or pie-in-the-sky? To be sure, I'm talking whether it could be done, given the way Windows is currently structured, and not whether Microsoft wants to do it.

Is that really possible, or does the only conceivable approach involve resigning ourselves to bolting together a little from here and a bit from there, just to get near to what we had in Windows 7?

We may get a clue as to this, if and when we learn definitively whether it'll be possible to install themes in Windows 10, as has been the case since XP. The last time I tried, it was not (yet) possible.

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,618 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

According to Thurrott, in 10025 Microsoft in Windows Setup seeks to capture your "input data" and location, and offers to automatically connect you to hotspots:

setup1.jpg

How many of those hundreds of millions of PC users who acquiesce to Microsoft downgrading them to Win10, will know to be on the lookout for this sort of thing?

I can see enterprising hackers driving up and down the street with a roaming hotspot to see who they can get to connect to them. That can't possibly be good, can it?

Things just get worse and worse. :no:

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, Yesterday, 06:12 PM.

rn10950

rn10950

• 20 posts
  • Joined 28-January 15

Your Windows 10 PC will love all the devices you own

Whether it’s a 3-year-old printer or projecting to your brand new TV with Miracast, we’re building Windows 10 to be terrific at connecting all your devices. In a multi-device world where you move between your phone, tablet, and PC multiple times a day – you expect your experience to go wherever you do. That’s why we built Windows 10 on a common core and enabled Windows Universal Apps, so people using Windows 10 for both their PC and smartphone experience will get an optimal, seamless experience as they transition devices throughout the day.

But, we also realize that many people use iPhones or Android phones, and we want them to enjoy some of their Windows experience and content while away from their Windows 10 PC.  Regardless of the operating systems you choose across your devices – everything important to you should roam across the products you already own – including your phone.

A real challenge people face is figuring out how to make everything work together. That’s why we’re announcing a ‘Phone Companion’ app built-in to Windows 10, which will help you connect your Windows PC to whatever phone you own– whether it’s a Windows phone, Android phone, or iPhone.

I love how they keep adding in cell phone compatibility but they still can't get their current drivers to be portable between versions. If Windows 10 is really to "love all of my devices" it needs to be able to use drivers from previous versions of Windows.

Edited by rn10950, Yesterday, 07:39 PM.

ralcool

ralcool

• PipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Joined 16-August 13

Yeah, but that is the whole point of IoT computing.

MinWin as it was called running on limited hardware.. headless if you like, accessible only via ethernet port ...

No display just hardware doing a job.

Now Pi2 and all that is shows -as always- we can do away with the UI.

HarperTown X5460 | P5E-VM G35 | 4Gb DDR2 | nVidia GT440 2Tb | 256Gb Sandisk UltraPlus SSD  | Windows 8.1 x64 MCE

Penryn T9500es | HP DV2533tx | 4Gb DDR2 | nVidia 8400M | 256Gb Sandisk UltraPlus SSD  | Windows 10 x64 IP

Bloomfield i7-920 |Gigabyte GA-EX58 | 6Gb DDR3 | nVidia 8800GT 512Mb | OCZ- Agility3 128Gb | Windows 10 x64 IP

itisdifficulttobeverycreativewithonlyfiftysevencharacters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users