Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 10 - First Impressions

• Please log in to reply
1112 replies to this topic

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 15,629 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Android browsers, for example, don't seem to have a home page -- the browser in my Android phone just goes to the last page I had open when I closed the browser. Pain in the a$$; I have to take time hitting the back arrow repeatedly to make sure it's back on the search-engine page so it's ready for the next time I call it up.

Well, if you are using anything but Opera (Mini) :yes: on Android, you simply have the "wrong" browser :no:.

http://www.opera.com...le/mini/android

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, Yesterday, 05:36 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

And if you are using Android you are using a derivative of Unix, which is simply the "wrong" operating system.

-Noel

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 15,629 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

And if you are using Android you are using a derivative of Unix, which is simply the "wrong" operating system.

What do you suggest instead, Windows Phone or the new one-size-fits-all crappy Windows 10? :w00t: :ph34r:

jaclaz

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• 2,426 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

I can confirm @ralcool's experience trying to disable Windows Updates. You can change that setting but Windows 10 simply ignores what you did.

--JorgeA

Interesting.  My Win 10 VM doesn't auto-update any more, and hasn't for a month or more.  I have to manually request Windows Update, at which time it goes forth with whatever updates are pending.

-Noel

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• 2,426 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

What do you suggest instead, Windows Phone or the new one-size-fits-all crappy Windows 10? :w00t: :ph34r:

I suggest having no smart phone at all is better than being constantly distracted by technology that doesn't work.

Actual human social interaction could be good for the world.

-Noel

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 15,629 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

I suggest having no smart phone at all is better than being constantly distracted by technology that doesn't work.

Actual human social interaction could be good for the world.

I see :), I thought that you were making a difference between being distracted by technology that doesn't work and being distracted by technology that does work.

I guess now it is appropriate to talk of microwave oven technology and user interfaces :w00t::

http://timandjeni.co...user-interface/

jaclaz

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• 2,426 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

Microwave UIs suck.

Had one with a pure electronic keypad switch on spontaneously and cause a fire once in an RV owing to line noise when I was connecting the power (didn't realize the breaker was on).

Do you know how hard it is to find a microwave with a physical on/off switch now?

Very little technology actually works.  If it did, people wouldn't crave new technology.

Regarding smart phones...  Occasionally my son visits.  He has always prided himself in keeping up with the latest tech.  His current "smart phone" actually bends.  When we go out together we often need to know something simple, like "what is the address of a pizza place near here" or "does Walmart have xxxx in stock", or "is Jurassic World sold out" we ask him to look it up on his "smart phone".  Every time - every single stinkin' time - he fools and fools with it, then announces he either "can't get the info" or "the signal isn't good enough" or some other lame excuse.  He's working on a PhD in Photonics, so I don't think the problem lies with his ability to operate the tech.

Try to talk to him on the thing and we might be able to understand him.  Or maybe not.  Virtually every cell phone conversation is interspersed with - if not entirely composed of - "please repeat that, you're breaking up".

The folks who make portable electronic devices - Microsoft only being the latest - all fail to grasp that the "to work" option is a necessary evil in their designs.

Google is no different - their attention to quality has been lacking since they started, and they've been as predatory as Microsoft is becoming all along.  Their definition of a search is "turn up some interesting distractions" and oh by the way, now sell the info about what you searched for.

-Noel

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 15,629 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Sure :).

Ahhh the good ol' times when technology worked :yes:.

Spoiler

Casually the source of the above is:

https://www.distract...1197888488.html

A whole site with the sole intent of distracting users....

https://www.distractify.com/

jaclaz

TELVM

TELVM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Joined 09-February 12

Those were the times, when men were men and they actually tested helmets ...

Not to mention vests  :crazy:  :

Spoiler

rn10950

rn10950

Junior

• Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Joined 28-January 15
Try to talk to him on the thing and we might be able to understand him.  Or maybe not.  Virtually every cell phone conversation is interspersed with - if not entirely composed of - "please repeat that, you're breaking up".

This. Definitely this. I can't tell you how many people laugh at me for still owning a landline, but when I'm calling somebody who also has a landline, we can hear each other as clear as day.  You can't say the same thing about cell phones...

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• 2,426 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

Speaking of technology that doesn't quite work...

Latest windows update on build 10130 to a version no one else seems to have (10159) got stuck in downloading at 98% for 3 hours (didn't need the VM for anything, so I let it sit there). 

StalledUpdate.png

After a reboot, it restarted at 97%, then finished the download.

Who knows what'll happen after the install.  That used to be exciting...  Now it's just dread...

PreparingToInstall10159.png

-Noel

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,725 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Just imagine that sort of thing happening on a billion or so PCs over the next couple of years.

I can hardly wait. :lol:  :ph34r:  :rolleyes:

And supposedly this forced-updates thing is to cut down on calls to tech support. Hah!

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,725 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Fantastic new thread in the Insiders forum. I could not have put it better:

I'm baffled. After Windows 8 I thought Microsoft would have learned from their design mistakes, but apparently not. Windows 10 is the ugliest OS I've ever seen in my entire life. The buttons are incredibly basic and the areas have absolutely no depth whatsoever. This MIGHT be passable for mobile users, who have unfortunately become accustomed to unbelievably hideous interfaces, but for desktop use I throw up when I see the smartphone settings toggles and removal of element borders. Considering this is Microsoft's final Windows release (or so they say), I find it egregious and vile that we are being forced to "upgrade" for technologies like DirectX 12. We will have no way to change this (Windows offers absolutely no official support for deep interface customization). What we're witnessing is Microsoft betraying all of their power users and all users who appreciate or acknowledge real design. The return of the Start Menu could have been the beginning of something great, but instead they butchered it with integration with "app" tiles and solid colors. How something like Windows 10 can be packaged and sold to consumers is beyond me. It's a scam and I'll be finding a way to disable my automatic update so I don't get Windows 10 on principle.

--JorgeA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users