Windows Vista on Z97?

AnX

Hello fellow MSFN users. I'd like to know whether I can have fully working chipset, usb3, etc drivers with z97 on Vista SP2 x64.

I suppose you'd have to modify them, in that case how can that be done.?

If the drivers require Windows 7 or later, you can sometimes modify the .inf files that the drivers use, and change the build string in the inf file that restricts it to Windows 7 (6.1.7600 or 6.1.7601) to 6.0.6002.18005 and install them using device manager. they'll appear unsigned, but you should be able to just click "install anyway" and they'll install with no issues. I've used this method several times and it usually works, and this method has also been done here with the latest ATI drivers: http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=454&threadid=169548

I believe you didn't really want to make this statement :unsure:

Vista should just work.

jaclaz

It works just fine after installing SP2 and the platform update. There is nothing wrong with it. I use it on several machines and it has never froze up, crashed, or anything of the sort. I use it for virtualization, rendering, photoshop, web browsing, music production, and more. Vista SP2 is a great OS, and it's much better than the overrated XP it replaced.

Edited by 2008WindowsVista

Well I did some research myself and from the basis of people isntalling WIndows 2000 on z87, i figure that chipset v.1.1.54.0 aka v. 9.3.2.1020 which was used there, would also work with Vista. It seems to have installed the USB3.0 drivers as well.

Now, my question is that can these drivers work for z97 too? I know I can use a z87 board with the latest CPUs, btu i still want the latest chipset.

It works just fine after installing SP2 and the platform update. 

Sure it does :), the note about dencorso's statement was only related to the missing reference to the need for SP2.

To recap (and IMHO):

• Vista January 30, 2007-February 14, 2008 did not work decently :ph34r:
  • Vista February 15, 2008 (2nd release of SP1) - May 25, 2009 started working well enough
  • Vista May 26, 2009 (SP2) - present works really fine :yes:

jaclaz