Free Games Download Question

Monroe

Last year I downloaded a few free games from a website and just a few days ago I downloaded a couple more from Game Top ...

http://www.gametop.com/category/downloadable.html

My question is a simple one which I know one of you real gamers can probably give me an answer ... I have searched around but can find no information.

Ok, I download and install the free game but every time I click on the game to play or to quit playing, the game makes an attempt to connect to the internet. I am not connected at the time and these free simple games can be played alone on a PC ... no internet connection needed.

My question is ... how are these internet connection attempts not going through my firewall so I could put the firewall setting at "No" and it would never happen again? It's a bit annoying but how does the game go straight online and by-pass the firewall?

I am wondering about other possible programs going on the internet and bypassing the firewall also ... if these simple free games can do it.

So far every free game that I have tried has the ability to not be picked up by my firewall ... like I said earlier, if it did go through the firewall ... I could set the setting to "No" for all future attempts.

thanks ...

Ok ... appreciate the replies. I will say that the games are OK and play nice on my setup, no problems except for what I described earlier ... also, I don't remember ever having this occur with anything else, just these free games.

I downloaded Wireshark 1.12.1 and a message popped up that it "may" not work with XP and that I should download Wireshark 1.10.10 ... so I will get that version and see what information I get.

I was just curious if others play some of these free games and if they also have the game trying to connect home when they start the game? Perhaps some firewalls are better than others and will pick up on the attempt to connect to the internet ... maybe no firewall program can detect the connection attempt ... that would be interesting to know ... also maybe because I am on XP versus a newer OS might have some bearing ... don't know.

thanks ...