blurry screen

Asp

Change your monitor type from "generic Plug 'n Play" to "W2043" by updating the driver via "Device Manager->Monitors->generic Plug 'n Play->Driver->Update Driver" or "Display Properties->Settings->Advanced->Monitor->Change".

Then you should be able to power up or reboot even with the monitor turned off and still be in the expected mode when you turn it on.

Maybe Cleartype? :unsure: (but it shouldn't be in XP)

jaclaz

I have it in my XP., but deactivated (I don't like the result). I did try it earlier, made no diference either way.

Yes, my bad, it's cleartype indeed.

How do those horizontal and vertical lines look like?

My problem was not Cleartype, it was turned off. I turned it on and off to test, didn't help.

When the resolution was incorrect the line grid (from LCDtest, mentioned above) was indeed blurry.

Change your monitor type from "generic Plug 'n Play" to "W2043" by updating the driver via "Device Manager->Monitors->generic Plug 'n Play->Driver->Update Driver" or "Display Properties->Settings->Advanced->Monitor->Change".

Then you should be able to power up or reboot even with the monitor turned off and still be in the expected mode when you turn it on.

I did that, I found the manufacturer's inf file and installed that in place of "plug and play". So far, it's working, has survived a couple of reboots.

I will declare this probem solved; if it comes back despite that I'll advise here.

• 1 month later...

Well, not 100% solved after all.

I found that if I boot up the PC and turn on the monitor later, or even at the same time. then Windows reinstalls the "Generic" monitor and chooses that, giving me the blurry screen. This happens if there is a temporary power failure, for instance.

Usually the correct W2043 is also installed.

It refuses to allow the driver to be updated, insisting that the "generic" is the best driver.

But if I then uninstall the generic and turn off (not reboot, turn off completely and restart), then both the monitors in Device Manager are W2043 and resolution is correct.

A few times W2043 wasn't in the Device Manager (there were 2 "generic") and I have to reinstall it.

I don't suppose there is a way to tell Windows to just leave the **** driver the way I set it.

I don't suppose there is a way to tell Windows to just leave the **** driver the way I set it.

Of course not :no:, that is the actual beauty of plug 'n play, people like you that want to choose their own things need to go back to (say) NT 4.00 :w00t:.

Now, seriously, what you experience is the final effect of *something* that causes this intermittently, and this can be as hinted before, a hardware issue of some kind :ph34r:.

You should (could) try dumping the EDID you get when the monitor is detected properly and when it is not, like with:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/dump_edid.html

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/monitor_info_view.html

http://www.eldim.fr/products/display-controller/fpdlite/fpdlite-free-tools

Then you could try overriding the EDID for the generic monitor? :unsure:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/jj133967(v=vs.85).aspx?

You could try what happens with PowerStrip:

http://entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm

to see if it is possible to "tame" your system.

jaclaz

Now, seriously, what you experience is the final effect of *something* that causes this intermittently, and this can be as hinted before, a hardware issue of some kind

Yeah, obviously.

If I turn on the monitor for 10 seconds before I boot the PC it seems to be okay. So I guess the monitor isn't supplying a correct EDID for the first few seconds it's on.

Didn't have this issue before, with a slower computer.

Also I used to just leave the monitor always powered on, but my wife has a thing about that, no matter I tell her it uses less than 1W in sleep mode.

The so far unanswered question is, why the hell when all the "Generic" settings say "1600x900" the monitor is getting 1440x900.

Anyway, I'd never heard of EDID until this came up. But to solve it permanently I'll have to work though the MS page you linked, which should make it read it from the registry regardless.

If I turn on the monitor for 10 seconds before I boot the PC it seems to be okay. So I guess the monitor isn't supplying a correct EDID for the first few seconds it's on.

Didn't have this issue before, with a slower computer.

Also I used to just leave the monitor always powered on, but my wife has a thing about that, no matter I tell her it uses less than 1W in sleep mode.

Then maybe it would be easier to set a (say) 15 seconds timeout at booting time, if you do not switch it on like 25 times a day and you are not in a hurry when you switch it on, it won't be that much an issue, IMHO, after all before you get to a fully usable desktop/start menu there will be anywyay a delay of anything between 45  and 120 seconds.

Alternatively, you could see (if applicable) if you can find one of those PSU's with a power outlet for the monitor, this way you will switch the monitor always "in one piece" with the PC or use one of those multi-plugs with a power switch or an UPS... :unsure:

jaclaz