New Windows 10 Build 9860 Available

NoelC

To get it, in PC Settings, choose Update and Recovery, then Preview Builds.

Initial observations:

• It's an over 2.5 GB download, and it takes quite a while to set itself up even on a powerful system with SSD storage.  Probably the kind of thing to set off before you go to bed.

• If you've done registry changes or installed 3rd party tweaks, some of them will be undone.  I get the impression quite a bit of the registry - but not all - has been refreshed.

• Symbols are not available online yet, as of this writing.

• At first blush I see a new window animation when opening and closing windows where they start too big and shrink, then when closed they shrink in place to quite small before disappearing.  I wouldn't have thought Microsoft could make the desktop appearance more irritating / disruptive, but I've gotta say, I don't like this.

• A small Windows Update is already pending for it, KB3008956, and it requires a reboot after the install.

• There's a new notification icon in next to the system tray that can't be hidden.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

To get it, in PC Settings, choose Update and Recovery, then Preview Builds.

Initial observations:

• It's an over 2.5 GB download, and it takes quite a while to set itself up even on a powerful system with SSD storage.  Probably the kind of thing to set off before you go to bed.

• If you've done registry changes or installed 3rd party tweaks, some of them will be undone.  I get the impression quite a bit of the registry - but not all - has been refreshed.

• Symbols are not available online yet, as of this writing.

• At first blush I see a new window animation when opening and closing windows where they start too big and shrink, then when closed they shrink in place to quite small before disappearing.  I wouldn't have thought Microsoft could make the desktop appearance more irritating / disruptive, but I've gotta say, I don't like this.

• A small Windows Update is already pending for it, KB3008956, and it requires a reboot after the install.

• There's a new notification icon in next to the system tray that can't be hidden.

-Noel

I noticed that you don't have to be exactly on the bar in order to change the volume with your mouse.

Also, if you use Alt/F4 to sign out or shut down you don't have to be exactly on the bar.

Edited by Dreamweaver01

• The Notifications panel opens behind the Taskbar if you normally auto-hide it.

• Most events in the event log are undocumented.

• Symbols are still not available on the online symbol server.

• The servicing database is still corrupted and SFC and DISM don't correct it.

I'm left with the feeling, "this is all they could do in 3 weeks?"  Is there only one guy working on it?

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

I'm left with the feeling, "this is all they could do in 3 weeks?Is there only one guy working on it?

The actual question is:

Given that only one guy worked on this for the last few weeks, did they really *need* to choose the one retarded guy to work on it? :w00t::ph34r:

:lol:

jaclaz

My question is, did they really need to spend so long updating this when the changes could probably have been done with a 10mb update. My bad connection aside (too several hours to download), it took forever to update.

As for the window animation. They annoy me and yet there was similar in distributions of Linux that were fairly similar that did not annoy me. MS seem to be trying to play catch up, but, much of the ui changes annoy me now... Maybe i am just getting older and cranky...

Sent from my Nexus 4 running CM11 (KK 4.4.4) using Tapatalk

And for those wanting to update to lastest build of 9860 from build 9841..

1.Open PC Settings of Windows 10 Technical Preview build 9841.

2.Scroll down to Update and recovery.

3.Click Preview builds.

4.Click Download now.

The download will range between 2GB and 2.74GB depending on CPU architecture and language.

~DP

This update downloaded in the background and began installing while I was out for about 45 minutes.

I came back to the the windows logo and a percentage.

It was jarring, to say the very least.

I *finally* just got a complete symbols download.

Did you notice that the drop shadow isn't animated with the window itself?

I think only 12 year olds (with their lifelong software development experience) must be working on the Windows UI now.

Anyone here remember industrial "quick on" CRTs, which bloom a bit large first then settle?  And shrink when turned off?  Remind you of any build you know?

Jarring indeed.

-Noel

Edit:  I forgot to mention that a good portion of the top part of the INSIDE of the title bar is the resize region, while it's OUTSIDE the rest of the borderless window.  Accidentally resize a window instead of moving it, anyone?

Microsoft is deliberately trying to get us to hate the desktop.

Edited by NoelC

Apparently it's possible to bring back mouse wheel routing to inactive windows being hovered-over:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"MouseWheelRouting"=dword:00000003

Not my discovery; I saw it here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9094baec-2a9d-40f5-ae9b-e4acdd3c3bec/scrolling-windows-without-click?forum=WinPreview2014General#8c50ca0c-eb80-46c4-a147-fab4748d9dc0

-Noel

It seems to partially restore mouse scroll behavior .. at least with that change you can adjust the volume slider with the scroll wheel

without hovering over the slider 'exactly'.

Now it will scroll as long as the mouse is within the volume box/window.  A loosening of tolerances.... lol

But move outside the still active box, the inactive window behind gets control. Like this page.

Overall better than before, but should be a setting in the mouse control panel. There is even a tab for wheel settings.

Thanks Noel.