Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Outlook always creates a new .pst even if I connect to the old one

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

bookie32

bookie32

• PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • Joined 20-November 07

Hi guys!

This is a nightmare that I wish Microsoft would fix.

I go through the process of starting Outlook for the first time and then connecting to an existing .pst file that I want to use.

The problem is when Outlook starts it isn't connected to the .pst file I chose during installation but a new one it creates...

This has happened so many times now...can't see the Point of having the chance to connect to the old one if Outlook creates a new one every time!!!!!!!!!!!!

I then need to Point Outlook to the old one and move all folders when Outlook starts so that I have only one profile...

Please...tell me I am not alone trying to make this crap work....

bookie32

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,338 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

If Outlook (have and don't used it because... using OE6) is anything like OE, then a "default" is always created. Why? :unsure:

"Outlook For First-Time User Dummies"?

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

Ponch

Ponch

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,291 posts
  • Joined 23-November 05

I go through the process of starting Outlook for the first time and then connecting to an existing .pst file

[...]

Outlook creates a new one every time!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many times can you start Outlook "for the first time" ?

If AutoArchive is activated, Outlook will create an archive pst in your profile, until you tell it to auto-archive to an other pst or to not auto-archive,

bookie32

bookie32

• PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • Joined 20-November 07

Hi guys!

OK...I am talking about moving the .pst file from one computer to Another in its  "Outlook-files" directory. I have followed other "How to's" in the past and they say move/copy the folder to "My documents" before opening Outlook for the first time...

I then choose to add the new account and click on the " configure manually" option...I then add the link to the .pst which is in Outlook-files and add server settings etc...

After this tests OK I contiue with the account...

But when Outlook opens I find it has created a new .pst and is filling up that one from the original....is this just standard procedure?

Is it because I have moved the file from one computer to Another?

If the answers are yes to my questions - then the "How to's" are crap....

People go to such lengths to create informative "How to's" and they don't work....why?

bookie32

Ponch

Ponch

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,291 posts
  • Joined 23-November 05

Can you link to the said "How To" so we can understand what it is about ?

What do you mean by "it has created a new .pst and is filling up that one from the original"? Is it transferring data from one to the other?

What do you mean by "Outlook Files" directory?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users