FF2 - Don't warn me about security certificates (but still does)

Nomen

FF2 throws up various security errors, but I can't remember if it originally had a check-box "Don't warn me again about this certificate about this domain". I seem to think that I found some way to have a checkbox when that warning comes up. Except that I find it's not working:

-----------

Security Error: Domain name Mismatch

You have attempted to establish a connection with "ajax.cloudflare.com". However, the security certificate presented belongs to "test". It is possible, though unlikely, that someone may be trying to intercept your communications with this website.

If you suspect the certificate shown does not belong to "ajax.cloudflare.com", pleace cancel the connection and notify the site administrator.

( ) Don't warn me again about this certificate for this domain.

View certificate / Ok / Cancel

---------------------

That's just one example. I'm always checking those "don't warn me" boxes, and FF2 never seems to honor the setting. (it's ok, I'm running https server on my computer for hosts file entries 127.0.0.1, so the above message is expected).

Try installing the latest root certificate available and rebooting.

The most recent for Windows 95 and 98 was released in October 2009. I tested successfully a while ago with Internet Explorer but should work regardless of browser:

The file version is 6.0.2600 but if you extract the package you'll see it contains the W95INF16.DLL AND W95INF32.DLL.

http://sdfox7.com/win95/rootsupd.htm

Edited by sdfox7

Security Error: Domain name Mismatch

You have attempted to establish a connection with "ajax.cloudflare.com". However, the security certificate presented belongs to "test". It is possible, though unlikely, that someone may be trying to intercept your communications with this website.

If you suspect the certificate shown does not belong to "ajax.cloudflare.com", pleace cancel the connection and notify the site administrator.

Registered to TEST? I would certainly notify the site administrator to do their job right.

When I add your files (which I very well might have obtained from elsewhere in the past) I have over 40 W95INF32.DLL files spread around different places on my drive. Binary analysis reduces those to 9 unique files. 8 of those show the same version (4.71.0016.0) but one says version 4.71.0017.0. I believe they all say "Copyright 1994-1995".

File creation/modification dates seem to have no relavence or utility in ranking them.

As for updroots.sst, I have 4 different versions (based on file-size) - 258kb, 267kb, 345kb, 432kb. None of them are in my Windows or program directories so I have no idea how the system interacts with them.

I did not look at W95inf16.dll - I assume it's somehow related to 16-bit operations and thus of little value or use today.

There does not appear to be a "W98INF32.DLL" file - what is the significance or meaning of that?

Because my system is serving up https files and using a self-signed certificate to do so, updating my system's root certificate store would not stop these messages being thrown up by FF. I would like FF to simply not throw up these messages when I put check off the option to not show them again for the same domains.

Edited by Nomen

It seems the most expedient resolution for this situation would be to create a security exception so Firefox stops warning you:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Security_Error:_Domain_Name_Mismatch_or_Server_Certificate_Expired

MozillaZine SSL Security Error: Security_Error:_Domain_Name_Mismatch_or_Server_Certificate_Expired

Edited by sdfox7

It seems the most expedient resolution for this situation would be to create a security exception so Firefox stops warning you:

Yes, I have installed the "Remember Mismatched Domains" extension at some point in the past. Because if I didn't, I wouldn't be seeing the check-box giving me the function "( ) Don't warn me again about this certificate for this domain" that I mentioned in my first post.

But I find that FF doesn't seem to honor that setting, because when these situations arise, I'm still getting these messages for domains that I've already check'd off the box for.

Has anyone else ever installed that extension while running FF2, and have you found that it does work?

>The file version is 6.0.2600 but if you extract the package you'll see it contains the W95INF16.DLL AND W95INF32.DLL.

>http://sdfox7.com/win95/rootsupd.htm

That version of W95INF16.DLL is byte-identical to the 98se version.

That version of W95INF32.DLL is file timestamp 9/5/2008, link timestamp 6/6/2000, file version 4.71.0016.0.

The version on my 98se system is file timestamp 7/17/1999, link timestamp 9/17/1996, but file version 4.71.17.0.