Windows 93 - The OS that never was

Nomen

What if Microsoft released an operating system in the chasm between Windows 3.1 and Windows 95? It might look something like Windows 93, an interactive art project by Jankenpopp and Zombectro that you can try right in your browser.

Try it here: http://www.windows93.net/

And if anyone can make that link work on any browser running on Win-98, tell me how...

Appears to need javascript and webkit (Chrome or Safari?). QTweb 3.75 doesn't work.

Pops up an alert box in IE5 saying 'Old IE detected... please upgrade' or something to that extent....

best option I could find was to view source and peek at the text graphics in the script comments (worth the peek!).

It doesn't require webkit. For me, it successfully worked in new Firefox and partially worked in Opera 12.14. This means that Opera 12.02 (which is the latest version of Opera that runs on Windows 98 with KernelEx) probably can run it too, at least partially.

Edited by M()zart

On second look, it's almost pure HTML5--lots of <svg>, <canvas>, <filter>, and <animate> tags and ECMAscript.

There is conditional html for IE 8, so try setting your user agent to IE 8 (or to IE 9).

I finally got it working in KM74_31, but the fine print is impossible to read on my 1024x768 monitor--needs a larger physical screen size!

In the lab with 600 new stubs.ini definitions and dlls from IE7&8 and ReactOS plus several unreleased custom dlls, Yes if you don't mind alpha-caliber stability.

May be it's worth to post about this experience in details. It unlikely is useful, but definitely is very interesting.

• 1 year later...