Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

W32time NTP client not applying time

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

j7n

j7n

• PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Joined 18-December 06
I am trying to use the built-in Windows time client to adjust the time on a Windows Seven computer with a bad CMOS battery that cannot be easily replaced. It is not working. I am now experimenting with the settings on a virtual machine also running Windows Seven to find the correct settings. It is also not working.

Time is kept on a network router running an NTP server. The machine has network up, can ping the router and other computers. Internet is for the machine is blocked on purpose.

I have set the time to the past and tried to correct it. No change to the system clock happened.

I have adjusted the settings of "MaxPosPhaseCorrection" and "MaxNegPhaseCorrection" to accept any time. Neither 0xFFFFFFF (8 years) nor 0x7FFFFFFF worked.

All settings of W32Time

The Event Log reports the time difference received, and says that "valid time data" is being received.

Screenshot of Event Log and current time

Using a 3rd party application called Chameleon Clock allows to correct the time immediately.

Screenshot of Chameleon Clock

The application is a bit of an overkill, old, might not be compatible with Seven, and might crash. I'd rather use the Windows service which is always installed anyway.

I've previously successfully used the time service on Windows XP, and all took to make it working was to increase the permitted PhaseCorrection.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Kelsenellenelvian