Re-use Media Center key on another computer?

NUTTER123

Hi folks. Hope we are all well ;) Right I bought (genuine) a windows media center key for windows 8 for a old HP system (that system is dead as in gone) but I do have a brand new system. (8.1 installed as default) Now I bought a media center key for my old system but is it possible to re-use that key for the new system? Just wondering

Sorry for confusing everybody I forgot media player/center are different from each other ;)

Edited by Tripredacus
title

**** how do I edit the title ;) Sorry I was kinda tired when I posted originally

Sorted ;)

If this option is enabled, you simply go to your first post and choose Full Edit, then already you can see how to change the title.
If not enabled, you have to ask the admin for help.

I did some quick look-arounds... You say you bought this key, I presume the $9.99 price? I have heard that the free MC keys no longer work. Also I have read some people have done reinstalls and re-used their MC key but online activation does not work and had to do phone activation.

Last time I went down this road with Microsoft on the phone trying to get a Media Center key to work I had gotten my system into a "not activated at all" state and they charged me on the phone a whole $99 to get an entire new license.  I'm not stupid but they adeptly got me between a rock and a hard place on that one.  The important point is that a Media Center key can allow your system to upgrade (and there's NO way back) yet not work once it's upgraded.  I regard it as a nasty trap door they've set up.

I'm just mentioning this because it might just be better to just pay the $9.99 for another one and not use up your time.

-Noel