Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Can Win-98 benefit from CPU with hyperthreading?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

herbalist

herbalist

paranoid independent

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Joined 15-December 06

Then again, I don't think MS was ever so keen on getting rid of 9x/ME (especially 98SE) as it is right now on getting rid of XP...

They got pretty extreme about it with 98 too, just in a different way. With 98, it seemed their biggest weapon was deliberately introduced and artificial incompatibility. With XP, it's extreme rhetoric regarding insecurity, hacker heaven, etc. Maybe that because it'll be easier to make newer software work on XP than it is to make it run on 98.

IMO, XP is the last version of Windows that a user can really control. On XP, all of the logging/babysitting features can be disabled. With some effort, all of the open ports can be closed. As far as I'm aware, it's impossible to close all of the ports on Vista and newer systems. It's also impossible to prevent them from calling home without using a separate device between them and the internet. AFAIC, the current operating systems are little more than bloated spyware coated in eye candy.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

rloew

rloew

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • Joined 30-May 05

To be even more precise, THE Hyperthread in THE Core of THE CPU handed to it by the BIOS.
Normally this would be the BP (Base Processor) designated by the Hardware.

Updating what I said previously, Windows 9x runs in the Core handed to it by DOS, not necessarily the BIOS.

I am writing this on a Windows 98SE System running from the second Core, an AP (Application Processor) not the BP.
Ye who enter my domain. Beware! Lest you become educated in the mysteries of the universe and suffer forever from the desire to know more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users