Modify Windows 2000 Splash Screen

MrMaguire

Since this was actually resurrected from the dead, I'm curious on a few things. Are you still using this splash screen to this day? I'd sort of like to make a few tweaks to my splash screen. Did you use Reshack and just use DOS to place NTOSKRNL into system32? Were you able to change the color of the loading bar? BWC changed it to gray on the Pro version but I'd actually like to get the blue one back to be honest and since I don't update it anymore, I'd never lose it. Do you remember how you did these things?

Since this was actually resurrected from the dead, I'm curious on a few things. Are you still using this splash screen to this day? I'd sort of like to make a few tweaks to my splash screen. Did you use Reshack and just use DOS to place NTOSKRNL into system32? Were you able to change the color of the loading bar? BWC changed it to gray on the Pro version but I'd actually like to get the blue one back to be honest and since I don't update it anymore, I'd never lose it. Do you remember how you did these things?

I've been using this splash screen ever since, and have had no issues relating to it. I made three bitmaps, one for Pro, Server and Server without the Powered by Extended kernel text. I use ResHack to replace the previous version in NTOSKRNL.EXE, and the Recovery Console to replace the file outside Windows. They are resources 1, 4 and 12 in NTOSKRNL.EXE respectively.

Something worth noting is that I make the NTOSKRNL.EXE file for each install using the process above, to avoid any issues with the kernel not matching with the system's HAL.

I did attempt to figure out how BlackWingCat changed the colour of the loading bar, but I never made any headway, and he doesn't accept PMs on here. Somebody I know doesn't like the modified splash screen at all, and they wanted it to look original with UUR. Plus I would like to change the loading bar on the server version so it's dark grey as well.

Edited by MrMaguire

Plus I would like to change the loading bar on the server version so it's dark grey as well.

It seems to me that there was a number inside of NTOSKRNL that dictated which color to use for the loading bar. I thought that blue was 1, but I could be wrong. I know for a fact I saw documentation on it somewhere but I'll be darned if I can remember where. But that's what I can remember is there was a number inside that told it what color to use. Maybe blackwingcat could tell us if he happens to see this thread.

• 4 years later...