Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Intel Ethernet Connection Driver for Windows 98SE

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 849 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

My motherboard (Supermicro X7DAL-E) has two on-board Intel Ethernet connections.

The hardware ID is PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1096.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a driver for this that would work under 98SE.

I have tried the last Windows 98 Intel ProSet drivers, and even if the necessary data is manually added to the INF file, the driver installs but doesn't actually work.

Any suggestions for possible alternatives i could try would be gratefully received.

I am using a PCI card for internet access under 98SE at the moment, but I would really like to free the slot for something else!

:)

Dual boot Windows 98SE SP2.1a and Windows XP Professional SP3.
Dual 3.16GHz X5460 Quad Core Xeons with 8GB RAM. ATI Radeon X850 Graphics 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

sdfox7

sdfox7

• 28 posts
  • Joined 08-July 14
I am thinking that you probably installed the driver but didn't install TCP/IP.

If Windows 98 doesn't automatically detect and install a network adapter during Windows Setup, it won't install TCP/IP.

To install TCP/IP, go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network > Add > Network Protocol > Microsoft > TCP/IP.

You will need your Windows 98 CD available when you do this as the system will need to copy files.

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 849 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

Wow, thanks for the quick response!

Unfortunately I think it's a bit more fundamental than that.

When the driver supposedly installed, Device Manager said that the device couldn't start and to update the driver, and the ProSet Windows Control Panel Applet said that the driver was there but no card was detected!

:no:

Dual boot Windows 98SE SP2.1a and Windows XP Professional SP3.
Dual 3.16GHz X5460 Quad Core Xeons with 8GB RAM. ATI Radeon X850 Graphics 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users